How many semesters of undergrad chem for phd in physics

In summary, it is possible to get into grad school in physics without taking a lot of chemistry courses during undergraduate studies. The specific requirements for grad school will vary depending on the type of physics being studied. Some fields, such as experimental low energy nuclear physics, may require more chemistry knowledge while others, like theoretical high energy physics, may not require any. It ultimately depends on the individual's chosen field of study.
Orson
Schools I am looking at only require one semester of inorganic for their BS program. Is this enough if one wants to go to grad school down the road?

Physics news on Phys.org
For grad school in physics? It will depend on the sort of physics you do, and the particular requirements of any grad school you want to go to.

I did no undergraduate chemistry, and it hasn't been a problem in terms of admissions. Due to the kind of physics I do (experimental low energy nuclear physics) there have been situations where I regretted not having done more chemistry, but what I have needed to know is pretty basic, I have had no problems picking it up since I did high school chemistry.

However, if you were doing theoretical high energy physics you'd probably never need your chemistry knowledge. If you were to do experimental material science, a good understanding of chemistry would be fairly crucial. Basically, it depends!

I took one class in college, which was actually taught out of the materials science department. I did fine. As it happens, later I needed to become an expert in organic polymer chemistry, but there was no way to predict this.

1. How many semesters of undergraduate chemistry are required for a PhD in physics?

The number of semesters of undergraduate chemistry required for a PhD in physics can vary depending on the specific program and university. However, most PhD programs in physics require a minimum of 2-3 semesters of undergraduate chemistry courses.

2. What specific chemistry courses are required for a PhD in physics?

The specific chemistry courses required for a PhD in physics also vary by program and university. Typically, courses in general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physical chemistry are required, along with some elective courses in areas such as analytical or biochemistry.

3. Can I substitute other science courses for the required chemistry courses?

In some cases, certain science courses such as biology or geology may be accepted as substitutes for a chemistry course, but this would depend on the program's requirements and the student's background in those courses.

4. Is there a minimum grade requirement for the chemistry courses?

Again, this may vary by program, but most PhD programs in physics will require a minimum grade of a B or higher in all chemistry courses.

5. Can I take additional chemistry courses beyond the minimum requirement?

While not always necessary, taking additional chemistry courses beyond the minimum requirement can be beneficial for students pursuing a PhD in physics. It can help strengthen their understanding of fundamental chemical principles and make them more competitive for research positions in the field of physics.