How many types of protons? (^1 H NMR)

In summary, the conversation discusses the types of protons present in two compounds, CH3CH2OCH2CH2CH2CH2CH3 and CH3CH2CO2CH2CH3. The solutions manual claims there are seven types of protons in the first compound and four in the second. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering the entire molecule and the concept of esters in determining proton types.
2h2o

Homework Statement

How many types of protons are present?

Homework Equations

compound 1:

CH3CH2OCH2CH2CH2CH2CH3

and

compound 2:

CH3CH2CO2CH2CH3

The Attempt at a Solution

Compound 1:

Arbitrarily assigning hydrogens which see a unique environment, left to right as appropriate.

CH3(A)CH2(B)OCH2(C)CH2(D)CH2(D)CH2(E)CH3(A)

My solutions manual claims that there are seven types of 1H in this molecule. I was under the impression that the high electron affinity of the oxygen will only deshield atoms ~1 sigma bond away. Is this impression false?

Compound 2:

First of all, this structural formula appears to me to describe an impossible molecule. Neither O atom has enough bonds to satisfy their "octet", yet to meet this criteria would require an isomer.

Moreover, even if I draw this out as described, using the method above:

CH3(A)CH2(B)CO2CH2(B)CH3(A)

Noting the symmetry of the molecule, I see two types of 1H, but my solutions manual claims four.

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 - it is not only oxygen that changes shielding, you have to look at the other end - and clearly -CH3 is different form -C5H11

2 - have you ever heard about esters?

Thank you for the hint on looking at esters--we've only just scratched carboxylic/carbonyls. But drawing it in ester form makes sense.

re #1:

It's not clear to me why the "D" hydrogens aren't the same. All of the "D" hydrogens each "see" four hydrogens on adjacent carbons across the C-C sigma bond.

They are very similar, but NMR is not about only the closest proximity (although the closest is the most important).

There are two types of protons in compound 1 and four types in compound 2. The number of types of protons in a molecule is determined by the number of unique environments each proton experiences. In compound 1, there are two types of protons because the two CH3 groups are identical and the five CH2 groups are also identical. In compound 2, there are four types of protons because the two CH3 groups are not identical and the two CH2 groups are also not identical. The oxygen atom in compound 1 does not have a significant effect on the chemical shift of the hydrogens, so it does not create a new type of proton. In compound 2, the presence of the carbonyl group creates a new type of proton due to its strong electron-withdrawing effect, which leads to a different chemical shift for the protons on the adjacent carbon. Your impression about the electron affinity of oxygen is not entirely incorrect, but it is important to consider the overall effect of the atom on the chemical environment of the protons in the molecule. In this case, the oxygen does not significantly alter the chemical shift of the protons, so it does not create a new type of proton.

1. What is ^1 H NMR and why is it important?

^1 H NMR, or proton nuclear magnetic resonance, is a technique used to analyze the structure and composition of molecules. It is important because it provides information about the number and types of protons present in a molecule, which can help identify the molecule and its functional groups.

2. How many types of protons can be identified using ^1 H NMR?

Depending on the complexity of the molecule, ^1 H NMR can identify anywhere from 1 to multiple types of protons. However, in most cases, it can identify at least 3 types of protons - those attached to sp3 hybridized carbons, those attached to sp2 hybridized carbons, and those attached to sp hybridized carbons.

3. What information can be obtained from the chemical shifts in ^1 H NMR?

The chemical shifts in ^1 H NMR provide information about the electron density surrounding a proton. This can be used to determine the types of atoms attached to the proton, the hybridization state of those atoms, and any neighboring functional groups.

4. How do you interpret the peaks in a ^1 H NMR spectrum?

The peaks in a ^1 H NMR spectrum represent the different types of protons present in a molecule. The position of the peak on the x-axis (measured in parts per million) represents the chemical shift, and the height of the peak represents the relative abundance of the proton type in the molecule.

5. Are all protons in a molecule visible in a ^1 H NMR spectrum?

No, not all protons in a molecule are visible in a ^1 H NMR spectrum. Protons that are chemically equivalent, meaning they have the same chemical environment, will appear as a single peak. Additionally, protons that are not attached to an electronegative atom, such as hydrogen atoms in alkanes, are usually not visible in a ^1 H NMR spectrum.