How many ways can you partition 10 identical balls into 3 identical boxes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of how many ways 10 identical balls can be placed into 3 identical boxes, with the possibility of up to two boxes being empty. The conversation includes an approach using box walls and the formula _{11}C _{2}, but there is a discrepancy in the answer. The correct answer is 66, which is achieved by adding 11 when only one box is used to the original formula.
LHC
How many ways can you place 10 identical balls into 3 identical boxes? Note: Up to two boxes may be empty.

I approached this problem as:

Let B represent ball
Let 0 represent nothing (empty)

|box wall| 0 0 B B B B B B B B B B |box wall|

So, there must be two other box walls that must be inserted, and they can be inserted in these places:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So, that would make [tex]_{11}C _{2}=55[/tex]. However, my teacher says it's supposed to be 66. Could someone please explain why? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
LHC said:
How many ways can you place 10 identical balls into 3 identical boxes? Note: Up to two boxes may be empty.

I approached this problem as:

Let B represent ball
Let 0 represent nothing (empty)

So, there must be two other box walls that must be inserted, and they can be inserted in these places:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

So, that would make [tex]_{11}C _{2}=55[/tex]. However, my teacher says it's supposed to be 66. Could someone please explain why? Thanks.

It's a really interesting and hard question :smile:

Here's how I approached (using yours):

| _ 1 _ 2 _ 3 _ 4 _ 5 _ 6 _ 7 _ 8 _ 9 _ 10 _ |

11C2 when you put two lines in those dashes but do not put them in same blank (so there will always be three or two boxes)
+ 11 when you put both of them together (only one box)

Oh, I get it! Thanks for your help! =D

oops.. I worded it wrong
"(so there will always be three or two boxes)"**
"(only one box or two boxes)"**

oo well, you got it ;)

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of discrete objects and their arrangements, combinations, and permutations.

2. What are partitions in combinatorics?

A partition in combinatorics refers to the division of a set of objects into smaller subsets, where each subset contains a unique combination of elements.

3. How do you calculate the number of partitions for a given set?

The number of partitions for a set with n elements can be calculated using the Bell number, which is the sum of Stirling numbers of the second kind for all possible values of k, where k represents the number of subsets in a partition.

4. What is the difference between an ordered partition and an unordered partition?

An ordered partition is a set of subsets where the order of elements within each subset matters, while an unordered partition is a set of subsets where the order of elements within each subset does not matter.

5. How is combinatorics used in real life?

Combinatorics has various applications in real life, including in computer science, genetics, statistics, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to counting, optimization, and probability, among others.