How meaningful is the notion of now here on Earth?

• I
  • Thread starter EclogiteFacies
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of the benefits of exercise. The speaker emphasized the positive effects of physical activity on both physical and mental health. They also discussed the importance of finding an exercise routine that works for each individual's needs and preferences. Additionally, the conversation touched on the potential obstacles and challenges that may arise when trying to maintain a consistent exercise routine. Overall, the message was clear that regular exercise can greatly improve one's overall well-being.
EclogiteFacies
TL;DR Summary
Is it meaningful to ask what say, my friend is doing in London when I am in New York?
So, not looking for anything over complicated. Just been picking up some special relativity.

How meaningful is the notion of now here on Earth? Is special relativity worth even considering for day to day interactions with others?

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn
Physics news on Phys.org
EclogiteFacies said:
TL;DR Summary: Is it meaningful to ask what say, my friend is doing in London when I am in New York?
Do you have their phone number? Pick up your phone and ask them. That’s what “now” means in ordinary English.
Is special relativity worth even considering for day to day interactions with others?
No.

Thread closed.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71, topsquark and DrClaude

1. What is the meaning of "now" on Earth?

The concept of "now" on Earth refers to the present moment in time, as experienced by living beings on the planet. It is a subjective experience that is influenced by various factors such as perception, culture, and individual beliefs.

2. How does the notion of "now" impact our daily lives on Earth?

The idea of "now" plays a significant role in how we perceive and interact with the world around us. It helps us make decisions, prioritize tasks, and experience emotions. Being present in the moment can also lead to a sense of mindfulness and gratitude.

3. Is the concept of "now" a universal experience for all living beings on Earth?

No, the experience of "now" can vary among different species and even among individuals within the same species. For example, some animals may have a more acute sense of time, while others may not experience time in the same way as humans do.

4. Can the notion of "now" be measured or quantified?

While the passing of time can be measured using various units such as seconds, minutes, and hours, the experience of "now" itself cannot be measured or quantified. It is a subjective concept that is unique to each individual.

5. How has the understanding of "now" evolved over time on Earth?

The concept of "now" has been explored and debated by philosophers, scientists, and spiritual leaders for centuries. Our understanding of it has evolved as our knowledge and technology have advanced, but the concept remains a complex and intriguing aspect of human existence.