Gravity on Earth: Basic Qs Answered by Physicists

In summary, A.T. explains that in curved spacetime, straight lines may no longer be straight. This can be difficult to understand, but the video provides a helpful introduction.
Brooksie
TL;DR Summary
Relativity & Gravity
I passed O level Physics in 1983 and loved it but went down the arts route. Over the last 5 years or so I re-kindled my interest and have been reading a lot e.g. Hawkings, Al Khalili, Rovelli etc. I am still struggling with various things that relativity throws up.

For example I understand that gravity is not actually a force of attraction and that a body's natural state is to fall unless a force is exerted upon it (Newton - I understand this). Apparently therefore we are held on Earth not by the gravity pulling us down but by the Earth's thrust towards us.

I understand that acceleration and gravity are interchangeable, however if I am being held down here in the UK because of the Earth's acceleration underneath me, how come someone on the other side of the Earth is also held here, should they not fly off? Is it some type of force of attraction also being in operation as well or the revolution of Earth holding everyone down?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Brooksie said:
Summary:: Relativity & Gravity

I passed O level Physics in 1983 and loved it but went down the arts route. Over the last 5 years or so I re-kindled my interest and have been reading a lot e.g. Hawkings, Al Khalili, Rovelli etc. I am still struggling with various things that relativity throws up. For example I understand that gravity is not actually a force of attraction and that a body's natural state is to fall unless a force is exerted upon it (Newton - I understand this). Apparently therefore we are held on Earth not by the gravity pulling us down but by the Earth's thrust towards us. I understand that acceleration and gravity are interchangeable, however if I am being held down here in the UK because of the Earth's acceleration underneath me, how come someone on the other side of the Earth is also held here, should they not fly off? Is it some type of force of attraction also being in operation as well or the revolution of Earth holding everyone down?
The spacetime geodesic along which your body will travel if not interfered with by some force (such as that of the Earth preventing you from moving any further) points to the center of the Earth. A geodesic for someone in the antipodes ALSO points to the the center of the Earth.

Brooksie said:
how come someone on the other side of the Earth is also held here, should they not fly off?
Curved space-time is the answer to why an outward proper acceleration in Sydney and an outward proper acceleration in London can leave the separation between those two cities constant.

Wrapping one's head around curved space-time is a learning process. One usually approaches it by analogy. Consider the surface (just the surface) of the spherical Earth. Consider two parallel lines going north from the equator along the surface of the Earth. Both lines are straight. Neither curves right or left. Yet they meet at the pole. The surface of the Earth is curved.

[Note that this is just a two dimensional analogy -- a two dimensional non-Euclidean space embedded in a three dimensional Euclidean space. It has nothing directly to do with the situation of the four dimensional curved pseudo-Riemannian space of General Relativity not embedded in anything else].

One might go from this introductory analogy to a discussion of "embeddings" and the distinction between intrinsic curvature and extrinsic curvature.

Eventually, one might arrive at a discussion of differential geometry, tensors and pseudo-Riemannian manifolds.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
jbriggs444 said:
Curved space-time is the answer to why an outward proper acceleration in Sydney and an outward proper acceleration in London can leave the separation between those two cities constant.

Wrapping one's head around curved space-time is a learning process. One usually approaches it by analogy. Consider the surface (just the surface) of the spherical Earth. Consider two parallel lines going north from the equator along the surface of the Earth. Both lines are straight. Neither curves right or left. Yet they meet at the pole. The surface of the Earth is curved.

[Note that this is just a two dimensional analogy -- a two dimensional non-Euclidean space embedded in a three dimensional Euclidean space. It has nothing directly to do with the situation of the four dimensional curved pseudo-Riemannian space of General Relativity not embedded in anything else].

One might go from this introductory analogy to a discussion of "embeddings" and the distinction between intrinsic curvature and extrinsic curvature.

Eventually, one might arrive at a discussion of differential geometry, tensors and pseudo-Riemannian manifolds.
Thank you, unfortunately this is beyond me at this point.

Likes jbriggs444
Brooksie said:
Thank you, unfortunately this is beyond me at this point.
Try this video by forum member A.T., which is a gentle introduction to straight lines in curved spacetime versus curved lines in flat spacetime.

Brooksie said:
... if I am being held down here in the UK because of the Earth's acceleration underneath me ...
Two points:

1) that is a local acceleration, which applies only locally to you on your location on the Earth's surface. You canot assume the same acceleration (in terms of direction) globally across the Earth's surface.

2) Acceleration is not to be confused with motion. Although you are accelerating in a certain direction, that does not imply you are absolutely moving in that direction. You and an Australian may globally be accelerating in opposite directions, but that does not imply relative motion away from each other.

Ibix said:
Try this video by forum member A.T., which is a gentle introduction to straight lines in curved spacetime versus curved lines in flat spacetime.
Thank you,

Brooksie said:
Summary:: Relativity & Gravity

if I am being held down here in the UK because of the Earth's acceleration underneath me, how come someone on the other side of the Earth is also held here, should they not fly off?
This is a good question. It is because of spacetime curvature, but understanding the answer requires some background. Here is an article I wrote that should help you understand

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/understanding-general-relativity-view-gravity-earth/

Likes vanhees71

1. What is gravity on Earth?

Gravity on Earth is a force that pulls objects towards the center of the planet. It is what keeps us grounded and causes objects to fall towards the ground.

2. How does gravity on Earth work?

Gravity on Earth is a result of the planet's mass and density. The larger the mass and density of an object, the stronger its gravitational pull. Earth's gravity also depends on the distance between two objects - the closer they are, the stronger the gravitational force.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth?

The acceleration due to gravity on Earth is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 m/s.

4. Does gravity on Earth affect all objects equally?

Yes, gravity on Earth affects all objects equally regardless of their mass. However, the heavier an object is, the more force it will exert on the ground when it falls.

5. Can gravity on Earth be manipulated or controlled?

No, gravity on Earth cannot be manipulated or controlled. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present. However, its effects can be counteracted by other forces, such as the lift force in airplanes.