How much better is HabEx going to be relative to Webb?

• I
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, NASA has a new big project with a proposed launch date around 2040 and details still being figured out. The LUVOIR concepts are also involved. If successful, we may have the "Carl Sagan Observatory" in approximately 12 years. Elon Musk predicts that humans will be living on Mars by then.
swampwiz
I understand that this is the new big project for NASA.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It has a proposed launch date around 2040. They are still figuring out the details (which will take years). The LUVOIR concepts are also involved.

Last edited:
Frabjous said:
It has a proposed launch date around 2040. They are still figuring out the details (which will take years). The LUVOIR concepts are also involved.
I guess I will need to take care of myself to see that.

swampwiz said:
I guess I will need to take care of myself to see that.
If all goes well, maybe we can have the "Carl Sagan Observatory" to look forward to in only ~12 years time.

• Wow
Likes pinball1970 and swampwiz
Frabjous said:
It has a proposed launch date around 2040.
According to Elon Musk, we should be living on Mars by then!

• Haha
Likes andrew s 1905

1. How much larger will HabEx be compared to Webb?

HabEx will have a primary mirror diameter of 4 meters, which is significantly larger than Webb's 6.5 meter mirror. This will allow HabEx to collect more light and have better spatial resolution.

2. Will HabEx be able to see further into the universe than Webb?

Yes, HabEx will be able to see further into the universe than Webb. It will have a larger field of view and more sensitive instruments, allowing it to detect fainter and more distant objects.

3. How will HabEx's instruments differ from those on Webb?

HabEx will have a coronagraph, which is a device that blocks out the light from a star, allowing for the detection of fainter objects such as exoplanets. It will also have a spectrometer that can detect different wavelengths of light, providing more detailed information about the objects being observed.

4. Will HabEx be able to study exoplanets in more detail than Webb?

Yes, HabEx will be able to study exoplanets in more detail than Webb. It will have the ability to directly image exoplanets and gather information about their atmospheres, potentially revealing signs of habitability.

5. When will HabEx be launched and how long will it operate?

HabEx is currently in the concept and design phase and is expected to be launched in the 2030s. Its mission is planned to last for at least 5 years, with the potential for extended operations if it remains in good condition.