How much does relativity effect matter?

In summary, the effects of relativity are proportional to the quantity gamma, which can be calculated to determine the significance of relativistic effects. In a hypothetical scenario with multiple Earths orbiting at different speeds, the effects of relativity would be essentially non-existent. There is no threshold for when speed becomes relativistic, as relativity is a description of reality. The effects of relativity are vanishingly small at low speeds and in low gravity. The concept of absolute speed does not exist and an object can have different speeds depending on the frame of reference. Over the course of 4.5 billion years, the effects of relativity on two objects orbiting at different speeds around the sun would be negligible.
thefredman
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions about relativity.

I've been reading about relativity and its effects and I began to wonder at what point does it become a variable worth mentioning?

Suppose there were 3 solar systems each with an Earth that revolved around the sun. Earth 1 does not revolve around the sun. Earth 2 revolves around the sun at 50% the speed of light. Earth 3 revolves around the sun at 100% the speed of light or near. Suppose each Earth was populated at the same time. Would the people on the different Earth's age differently?

If there is a difference does that mean that other planets in our solar system actually have matter that is millions or years older or younger than the same matter here on earth? For instance, the surface of Mars could be millions of years younger than the surface of Earth because it travels through space at a different speed.

What would happen if you extrapolate time to other star systems?

I have about 100 other questions but I'll leave it at that.

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
An Earth orbiting at near light speed would be VERY close to its mother star - as in deep fried to a crispy critter close. Planets simply do not orbit at anywhere near relativistic speeds. Try calculating the distance a planet would have to be from a black hole to orbit at .5c.

thefredman said:
I've been reading about relativity and its effects and I began to wonder at what point does it become a variable worth mentioning?

Most relativistic effects are proportional to the quantity
$$
\gamma = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}
$$
so you can calculate that and see whether the relativistic effects are large enough to care about. If it comes out 1.01, then your error from ignoring relativity will be 1%; if it comes out 1.10 your error will be 10%; if it comes out 42 the then your error will be 4200%.
(Sanity check: set ##v=0## and ##\gamma## comes out to exactly one, meaning no error from ignoring relativity when there is no relative motion)

I guess I should have stated that I'm not a physicist and those calculations are over my head.

Chronos said:
An Earth orbiting at near light speed would be VERY close to its mother star - as in deep fried to a crispy critter close. Planets simply do not orbit at anywhere near relativistic speeds. Try calculating the distance a planet would have to be from a black hole to orbit at .5c.

My question is more geared towards a hypothetical situation. In a system where there are multiple Earth's traveling through space-time at different speeds what would the effect of relativity be?

Thank you for your answer though. Is it right to infer in a "real-life" scenario the differences in distance from a host star the speed from which the planet travels through space conserves time? For instance, if 3 Earth's in the same solar system traveling at different speeds would have the same concept of time because of their distance from each other in space time.

thefredman said:
I guess I should have stated that I'm not a physicist and those calculations are over my head.

My question is more geared towards a hypothetical situation. In a system where there are multiple Earth's traveling through space-time at different speeds what would the effect of relativity be?
In the real world ... essentially none. Chronos already answered this by correctly stating "Planets simply do not orbit at anywhere near relativistic speeds"

Thank you for your answer though. Is it right to infer in a "real-life" scenario the differences in distance from a host star the speed from which the planet travels through space conserves time? For instance, if 3 Earth's in the same solar system traveling at different speeds would have the same concept of time because of their distance from each other in space time.

I have no idea what you are asking here. What do you mean by "conserving time" ?

Thanks for your reply.

phinds said:
In the real world ... essentially none. Chronos already answered this by correctly stating "Planets simply do not orbit at anywhere near relativistic speeds"

At what point does speed become relativistic? Is there a threshold that says any object that travels under this speed is not subject to relativity? Considering the age of the universe doesn't any speed become, at some point, relativistic? Even astronauts on the ISS are subject to the effects relativity and they are not traveling at astronomical speeds.

Suppose two objects, the Earth and the ISS, begin orbiting the sun at the same time. Over the course of 4.5 billion years would it be correct to assume there would be a considerable difference in time between the ISS and the earth?

I have no idea what you are asking here. What do you mean by "conserving time" ?

I guess the best way I can put it right now would be if you had one planet traveling at high speeds around the sun and a planet traveling much further away at a much slower speed essentially time would remain reserved because the distance.

thefredman said:
Thanks for your reply.
At what point does speed become relativistic? Is there a threshold that says any object that travels under this speed is not subject to relativity?

No, relativity is a description of reality. Period. The EFFECTS of relativity are vanishingly small at low speeds in a frame of reference and at low gravity.

Considering the age of the universe doesn't any speed become, at some point, relativistic? Even astronauts on the ISS are subject to the effects relativity and they are not traveling at astronomical speeds.

You are assuming, I think, that there is some absolute speed. There is no such thing. You, right now as you read this, are traveling at .999999c relative to a particle at CERN and you are traveling at zero in your own frame of reference.

Suppose two objects, the Earth and the ISS, begin orbiting the sun at the same time. Over the course of 4.5 billion years would it be correct to assume there would be a considerable difference in time between the ISS and the earth?
Assuming you mean the ISS is orbiting the Earth then the fact that they are both orbiting the sun is irrelevant. Yes there would be a difference. How much would depend on how long and what the orbit is.

I guess the best way I can put it right now would be if you had one planet traveling at high speeds around the sun and a planet traveling much further away at a much slower speed essentially time would remain reserved because the distance.

I don't know what you mean by "time would remain reversed". Relative to what?

thefredman said:
At what point does speed become relativistic? Is there a threshold that says any object that travels under this speed is not subject to relativity?

There is no such threshold. Everything is always subject to relativity, it's just that sometimes (nearly always in day to day life) the effects are small enough that we ignore them instead of going to the trouble of calculating them.

For example: A small passenger jet will burn 25 kilograms of fuel per minute at cruise. How much fuel must the plane carry for a one-hour flight? Ignoring relativity, the answer is easy: 25 kilograms per minute times 60 minutes means 1500 kilograms. Include the effects of relativity, and the answer will be something like 1500.0000000... kilograms, with the first non-zero digit showing up around the tenth decimal place. The amount of dust on a passenger's shoes would make a much bigger difference.

We also don't worry about the effects of relativity when we're calculating satellite orbits... but we do when operating a GPS system. It all depends on the accuracy you need.

Last edited:
phinds said:
Assuming you mean the ISS is orbiting the Earth then the fact that they are both orbiting the sun is irrelevant. Yes there would be a difference. How much would depend on how long and what the orbit is.

Over the course of 4.5 billion years would the difference be noticeable, like millions of years? Would the same rule apply to other planets in our solar system such as the moon or mars? Are rocks on other planets millions of years older or younger? Or are the effects of relativity not really noticeable even though they accrued over such long periods of time (4.5 billion years)?

I would imagine it could be useful to view the ionization of atoms from matter millions of years in the future or the past.

phinds said:
I don't know what you mean by "time would remain reversed". Relative to what?

Relative to the gravitational constant as dictated by the sun since they share the same field of gravity.

"time" is NOT "relative to the gravitational constant" so we still don't know what you mean by that.

HallsofIvy said:
"time" is NOT "relative to the gravitational constant" so we still don't know what you mean by that.

Suppose there is one planetary body and 2 orbit objects. Object 1 orbits the planet at near escape velocity while object 2 orbits much further away at near the escape velocity at that distance. While both objects are moving relative to the planet they each share the same time frame of reference because the distance between them. Or the distance and the speed that they travel at are proportional to the observer, in this case the planet. Therefore time is conserved because the laws of gravity won't allow one to be no longer relative to the other.

GR contains the two tensor functions (Ricci -Weyl both can be obtained from the Riemann space).
The Ricci tensor represents the volume reducing component of a mass under gravitation. Importantly
it creates an energy-density gradient from surface to core. The core temperature and density can ,with
sufficient mass lead to fusion. The Weyl tensor describes the effect of gravity outside (but in the
vicinity) of the gravitating mass. The tidal force is primarily a Ricci consequence but the additional
Weyl component preserves a rather beautiful symmetry...it conserves the elliptical volume

Respectfully

Barry

Related to How much does relativity effect matter?

1. How does relativity affect the weight of an object?

Relativity states that the weight of an object is not constant and can change depending on the object's speed and location. This is known as the theory of general relativity and is a fundamental principle of modern physics.

2. Can relativity change the mass of an object?

Yes, according to the theory of special relativity, an object's mass can change depending on its velocity. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass will increase infinitely, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

3. How does relativity explain gravity?

Relativity explains gravity as a curvature of space and time caused by the presence of matter and energy. The more mass and energy an object has, the stronger its gravitational pull and the more it will curve the fabric of space-time.

4. Does relativity affect the behavior of particles?

Yes, relativity plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. In quantum mechanics, the theory of special relativity is used to explain the relationship between energy and mass and the behavior of particles at high speeds.

5. How does relativity affect our daily lives?

While the effects of relativity may seem abstract, they have real-world applications in our daily lives. GPS technology, for example, relies on precise calculations that take into account the effects of relativity to accurately determine locations on Earth.