How much does where you go for your undergrad matter?

In summary, when applying to a graduate program in aerospace engineering, admissions committees look for a clear sense of purpose and evidence of focus. This can include improvement over time, academic achievements, and involvement in research and leadership opportunities. It is important to develop a good relationship with professors and participate in research, even if it is through opportunities outside of your home institution. While attending a community college for undergraduate studies may not have as much weight as attending a prestigious university, it is still possible to excel and gain admission into a good graduate program. The key is to focus on getting good grades and gaining experience in research and leadership. Ultimately, it is important to have a passion for aerospace engineering and a willingness to work hard to achieve your goals.
Timewalker6
I want to go into aerospace engineering and I have really messed up in high school (not going into details) long story short I am definitely not getting into some big name school I am trying to improve but I am beginning to realize how little of an impact I am having. I am not going to stop trying but I was wondering how much it matters if I go to some metropolitan community college for my undergrad as far as going to a better school for my graduate program.

Physics news on Phys.org
As a general statement, admissions committees like to see applicants with a clear sense of purpose who can provide evidence that they are focused on achieving their goal. In terms of academics, improvement over time is an example. In terms of scholarship, it's a record of 'products'. In terms of leadership, it's typically service to an organization.

When you apply to a graduate program, you are evaluated on a number of different factors by the committee. Grades, and home institution are part of that. But they are just pieces of the "you" that you are to present as a whole.

You will also be evaluated by your pGRE scores, research, SOP, letters of recommendation.

Since you're from a no-name school (assuming), and you didn't do as well in HS, what you can really focus on is gaining a strong upward trend in your grades. A B or C your freshman year begins to hurt a bit less when you continued the sequence with A's.

Develop a good working relationship with a few of your professors.

Get involved in research. If there is no research opportunities at your university, there are excellent opportunities via REU programs.

Really, the worst case is that you take the Masters somewhere, and then do the PhD. But I'm sure you if you work at it, you'll be capable of presenting a product that graduate schools want to buy. They want to know you'll be able to keep up with the pace of the work and produce papers.

Cheers

HayleySarg said:
When you apply to a graduate program, you are evaluated on a number of different factors by the committee. Grades, and home institution are part of that. But they are just pieces of the "you" that you are to present as a whole.

You will also be evaluated by your pGRE scores, research, SOP, letters of recommendation.

Since you're from a no-name school (assuming), and you didn't do as well in HS, what you can really focus on is gaining a strong upward trend in your grades. A B or C your freshman year begins to hurt a bit less when you continued the sequence with A's.

Develop a good working relationship with a few of your professors.

Get involved in research. If there is no research opportunities at your university, there are excellent opportunities via REU programs.

Really, the worst case is that you take the Masters somewhere, and then do the PhD. But I'm sure you if you work at it, you'll be capable of presenting a product that graduate schools want to buy. They want to know you'll be able to keep up with the pace of the work and produce papers.

Cheers

THanks for the help I'm still in high school and that's what I was worried about.

it is difficult to assess your position without knowing what you consider "good schools" and "bad schools". this being said, getting A's in a CC will get you into a good undergrad program, where A's there will qualify you into a good grad program, should you decide.

honestly, judging by your initial post, you really have no clue if you'll even like aerospace, since in high school most people don't have a working knowledge of calculus, diff eq, linear algebra, foundational physics, fluid dynamics, PDEs, etc. there is literally SO much ahead i would only focus on getting A's in what's in front of you and let the future worry about itself

Related to How much does where you go for your undergrad matter?

1. How much does the prestige of the university affect job opportunities after graduation?

The prestige of a university can have some impact on job opportunities after graduation, but it is not the only factor that employers consider. Your skills, experiences, and achievements are also important factors that can influence your job prospects.

2. Is it worth paying for a more expensive university for undergraduate studies?

It depends on your personal goals and circumstances. A more expensive university may offer better resources and opportunities, but it is not always necessary for success. It is important to research and consider the specific benefits and drawbacks of each university before making a decision.

3. Will attending a prestigious university increase my chances of being accepted into graduate school?

Attending a prestigious university can potentially improve your chances of being accepted into graduate school, but it is not a guarantee. Admissions committees also consider your academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation when making decisions.

4. How does the location of the university impact my undergraduate experience?

The location of a university can greatly impact your undergraduate experience. It can provide opportunities for internships, networking, and cultural experiences. It is important to consider your personal preferences and goals when choosing a university's location.

5. Does the program or major I choose matter more than the university I attend?

The program or major you choose can have a significant impact on your future career and success. However, the university you attend can also provide valuable resources, connections, and opportunities that can enhance your education and career prospects. It is important to find a balance between a strong program and a reputable university.