How Much Effort is Needed to Move a 2000 lb Object 50 ft?

• Thread starter 9000_red
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of effort needed for a person to move a 2000 lbs object 50 feet. It is mentioned that this would require 100,000 ft/lbs of work, but this is not accurate as moving the object horizontally would require no work without friction. To determine the amount of force needed to get the object rolling, the friction coefficient is needed, which depends on the surface the object is being moved on. The conversation also mentions that the person's weight does not affect the amount of effort needed.
9000_red
let's say a 180 lbs person needs to move a 2000 lbs object 50 feet. that would take 100,000 ft/lbs. how do you apply that in terms of how much effort it would take from a 180lbs man? divide by 180 and get 555.5? how do you determine the amount of force required to get this object rolling? this doesn't have to be exact, so friction etc doesn't have to be taken into account for my purposes...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see how the person's weight has anything to do with it.
Looks to me like you have learned some formulas, but no concepts!

Moving a 2000 lb. object 50 feet horizontally would not require 100000 ft-lbs of work. Ignoring friction, it would require no work at all. Moving it 50 feet vertically upward would require 100000 ft-lbs of work because it would have acquired 100000 ft-lbs of potential energy.

i'm trying to figure out how much effort it takes for a man to pull a pallet of cokes (2000lbs) from one point in a grocery store to another (50ft). if the pallet is moved by a jack with polyurethane wheels across smooth concrete, or tile floors like in wal-mart, the friction coefficient would be

Hardrubber on Concrete f = 0,01 -0,02m

but I'm no math whiz, honestly i suck at most of it... but what's the simplest way to say it would take a guy _ lbs of effort to get this pallet rolling...

bump 4 help

HINT: Calculate how much work is done by the force of friction.

As I said before, if you are moving something horzontally and ignore friction, there will be no work done at all. All the work in this problem depends on the friction.

Related to How Much Effort is Needed to Move a 2000 lb Object 50 ft?

1. What does "figure this one out" mean?

"Figure this one out" is a phrase that is commonly used to ask someone to solve a problem or find a solution to a difficult task. It can also be used to challenge someone's critical thinking skills.

2. How do scientists approach solving problems?

Scientists typically use the scientific method to approach problem-solving. This involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on evidence.

3. What are some tips for problem-solving as a scientist?

Some tips for effective problem-solving as a scientist include breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts, thinking creatively and critically, utilizing available resources and knowledge, and being open to new ideas and solutions.

4. Can anyone be good at problem-solving in science?

Yes, anyone can develop strong problem-solving skills in science with practice and dedication. It is important to approach problems with curiosity, patience, and a willingness to learn and adapt.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills as a scientist?

One way to improve problem-solving skills as a scientist is to actively engage in scientific research and experimentation. Additionally, regularly practicing critical thinking, seeking feedback from peers, and staying up-to-date on current scientific developments can also help improve problem-solving abilities.