How much torque do I need to move a 50lb object?

• Thread starter Robinson26
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the project is to design a wall that moves back and forth with a motor and gearing setup. The wall will be 5 feet high, 8 feet long, and 2 feet deep, weighing 50 pounds. The movable side will be on wheels and should open to a distance of 4 feet. The specific torque needed cannot be determined without more information, such as the type of gearing mechanism used and the amount of friction in the system.
Robinson26
I am currently designing a closet that will automatically open and close. The closet will be 8 feet high 5 feet long and 2 feet deep weighing in at 50 pounds. I was planning on having the movable side being on wheels with a motor powering the movement. I want the distance when it is open to be about 4 feet apart. My question is what size, how much torque is required to move a rectangule wall on wheels 4 feet at a reasonable speed.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Robinson26 said:
I am currently designing a wall that will move back and forth via a motor and gearing setup. I was trying to figure out how much torque I will need to move a 5'-8' wall weighing at 50lbs. it does not have to be fast. If anyone can help me it would be a huge help!
To match the specificity of your question, the answer is "some amount".

You need to give a MUCH more specific account of the exact setup you are planning.

phinds said:
To match the specificity of your question, the answer is "some amount".

You need to give a MUCH more specific account of the exact setup you are planning.
I edited my post, does that help or is it still not enough information.

Robinson26 said:
I edited my post, does that help or is it still not enough information.
Not enough information. Big item is what kind of gear mechanism do you plan to use.

The torque must accelerate the mass, and it must overcome friction. Nothing you said so far tells us about how fast it accelerates, or how much friction there is in the system. Note that gears use the lever principle to magnify forces or torque, but they also add more friction.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is torque related to moving a 50lb object?

In order to move a 50lb object, a certain amount of torque is required to overcome the object's inertia and initiate its motion. The amount of torque needed will depend on various factors such as the object's shape, surface friction, and the force of gravity acting on it.

3. What factors determine the amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object?

The amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object will depend on the object's weight, the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied (known as the lever arm), and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How can I calculate the amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object?

The formula for calculating torque is torque = force x lever arm. In order to calculate the amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object, you will need to know the weight of the object and the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

5. Is there a minimum amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object?

Yes, there is a minimum amount of torque needed to move a 50lb object. This minimum amount is determined by the object's weight and the surface friction it encounters. If the torque applied is less than the minimum required, the object will not move.