How much money is needed to play this simple number game?

• I
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game Money
Will fix this later.In summary, the game involves player A selecting a number from 1 to 100 and player B guessing that number. If player B guesses correctly, they win that number in dollars, otherwise they get zero. The solution to maximizing player B's expected payout is to choose a value for α such that the probabilities for player A selecting a number are 1/k times some constant, which ensures that the probabilities sum to one. This makes player B's expected value equal for all numbers, and the maximum amount they should pay to play the game is equal to the expected value.
member 428835
I pick a number ##n## from 1 to 100 (integers only). If you guess correctly you win ##n## dollars, else you get zero. How much would you pay to play?

Evidently the solution is to pick ##k## with probability ##1/k##, so expected payout is ##(\sum_{i=1}^{100} 1/j )^{-1} = 0.2##. But where's the ##k## info coming from? I really don't understand the solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that solution?

phinds said:
Where did you get that solution?
From the book that posed the question. It's an interview book for stats and quant stuff. Lot's of random problems

Missing information: cost to play, what criterion you use to pick a number.

The correct solution should make the person picking the number indifferent between picking any number. If, for example, the other player would make the most money by picking 7, then you could select 7 slightly less often, and they would still make the most money by picking it, but they would make less money.

So if ##p(n)## is the probability you pick ##n##, you need to have things like ##7p(7)=15p(15)## be true for the other player to think that 7 and 15 are equally good solutions. In particular, ##np(n)=p(1)##, so ##p(n)= \alpha/n## for some constant ##\alpha##. The constant is definitely not 1, as if it was, the probabilities would add up to more than 1.

Likes member 428835
Isn't the expected return the sum of n-1/n)
mathman said:
Missing information: cost to play, what criterion you use to pick a number.
The question is what cost are you willing to incur.

If I understood correctly, you win any amount with probability 1/100. So your expected gain is (1+2+...+100)(1/100)=[100(100+1)]×(1/2)[1/100]=50.5.

So any value 50.5 or lower would work.

WWGD said:
If I understood correctly, you win any amount with probability 1/100. So your expected gain is (1+2+...+100)(1/100)=[100(100+1)]×(1/2)[1/100]=50.5.

So any value 50.5 or lower would work.
This is true if you get the amount you guess, so say a 100-sided di where you keep the roll. But that is not the game being played here, where you must guess what the other person chose.

Office_Shredder said:
The correct solution should make the person picking the number indifferent between picking any number. If, for example, the other player would make the most money by picking 7, then you could select 7 slightly less often, and they would still make the most money by picking it, but they would make less money.
Okay this makes sense. Let me clarify: person A selects a number 1-100, and person B is offered to play the game where they guess which number. If they guess correct they win that number. In order to calculate person B's expected value, we first must determine how player A selects their number, which brings us to your post.
Office_Shredder said:
So if ##p(n)## is the probability you pick ##n##, you need to have things like ##7p(7)=15p(15)## be true for the other player to think that 7 and 15 are equally good solutions. In particular, ##np(n)=p(1)##, so ##p(n)= \alpha/n## for some constant ##\alpha##. The constant is definitely not 1, as if it was, the probabilities would add up to more than 1.
So are we saying ##p(n) = \alpha/n## is the probability player A selects number ##n##. Then player B's expected value is ##\sum_{n=1}^{100}np(n)^2## where ##np(n)## is the expected value of player A's selection, and we have probability ##p(n)## selecting it. But this implies EV = ##\alpha^2\sum_{n=1}^{100}1/n \neq (\sum_{n=1}^{100}1/n)^{-1}## where ##\alpha = 1/k## from post 1. What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
To me the problem statement looks incomplete.
joshmccraney said:
I pick a number ##n## from 1 to 100 (integers only). If you guess correctly you win ##n## dollars, else you get zero. How much would you pay to play?

Evidently the solution is to pick ##k## with probability ##1/k##, so expected payout is ##(\sum_{i=1}^{100} 1/j )^{-1} = 0.2##. But where's the ##k## info coming from? I really don't understand the solution.
Please pose the complete question as stated where you found it..

sysprog said:
To me the problem statement looks incomplete.

Please pose the complete question as stated where you found it..
IMG_4697.jpg
LOL I literally did. Sorry you don't like it. I don't either, but think Office_Shredder gets it.

joshmccraney said:
This is true if you get the amount you guess, so say a 100-sided di where you keep the roll. But that is not the game being played here, where you must guess what the other person chose.Okay this makes sense. Let me clarify: person A selects a number 1-100, and person B is offered to play the game where they guess which number. If they guess correct they win that number. In order to calculate person B's expected value, we first must determine how player A selects their number, which brings us to your post.

So are we saying ##p(n) = \alpha/n## is the probability player A selects number ##n##. Then player B's expected value is ##\sum_{n=1}^{100}np(n)^2## where ##np(n)## is the expected value of player A's selection, and we have probability ##p(n)## selecting it. But this implies EV = ##\alpha^2\sum_{n=1}^{100}1/n \neq (\sum_{n=1}^{100}1/n)^{-1}## where ##\alpha = 1/k## from post 1. What am I missing?
My bad, I read it carelessly.

The idea seems to be that the game is set up to minimize payout. So the probabilities are 1/k times some constant so they sum to one. It makes no difference which k the contestant chooses as far as expectation goes. The constant is equal to the expectation, so that's the max a player should pay.

joshmccraney said:
Note that there is only one value of α that will make the sum of the sum of the pn add up to one. (pn = α / n).
Since the first player chose the pn to make the expected value for the second player equal for all n, the second player can chose any n, in particular n = 1, and the expected value of player 2 is p1 = α.

joshmccraney said:
So are we saying ##p(n) = \alpha/n## is the probability player A selects number ##n##. Then player B's expected value is ##\sum_{n=1}^{100}np(n)^2## where ##np(n)## is the expected value of player A's selection, and we have probability ##p(n)## selecting it.
This is mostly unnecessary. ##p(n)## is the probability of player A picking ##n##. B can do whatever they want to do. In particular, they don't have to pick a random number. If they pick ##k## (always) then their expectancy is ##kp(k)=k\alpha/k=\alpha##. This is the same number no matter which number they pick, which was the whole point.

So now you need to compute ##\alpha## which makes all the probabilities sum to one.

You can also do what you did. All of your math is correct, though overcomplicating B's choice. It turns out your final expression of ##\alpha^2 \sum \frac{1}{n}## is also correct. The last equation you wrote down has an unknown, how can you conclude it's wrong if you don't know what ##\alpha## is? Solve for ##\alpha## and try again :)

Likes member 428835
Office_Shredder said:
This is mostly unnecessary. ##p(n)## is the probability of player A picking ##n##. B can do whatever they want to do. In particular, they don't have to pick a random number. If they pick ##k## (always) then their expectancy is ##kp(k)=k\alpha/k=\alpha##. This is the same number no matter which number they pick, which was the whole point.

So now you need to compute ##\alpha## which makes all the probabilities sum to one.

You can also do what you did. All of your math is correct, though overcomplicating B's choice. It turns out your final expression of ##\alpha^2 \sum \frac{1}{n}## is also correct. The last equation you wrote down has an unknown, how can you conclude it's wrong if you don't know what ##\alpha## is? Solve for ##\alpha## and try again :)
Got it! So ##\sum p(n) = 1 \implies \sum \alpha/n = 1 \implies \alpha \approx 0.192776##. Plugging this into the EV ##\alpha^2 \sum 1/n = 0.192776## which agrees with the book solution. Wow, thanks for this, I learned a ton here.

1. How much money do I need to play this simple number game?

The amount of money needed to play this simple number game can vary depending on the specific game and its rules. Some games may require a small entry fee, while others may be free to play. It is best to check the rules or ask the game organizer for the exact amount.

2. Is there a minimum or maximum amount of money I can play with?

Again, this will depend on the specific game and its rules. Some games may have a minimum or maximum bet amount, while others may allow for more flexibility. It is important to check the rules beforehand to ensure you are playing within the designated limits.

3. Can I play this game with virtual currency or do I need real money?

This will depend on the game and its platform. Some games may allow for virtual currency to be used, while others may require real money. It is important to check the rules and platform guidelines before playing.

4. Are there any additional costs or fees associated with playing this game?

In addition to the initial entry fee or bet amount, there may be additional costs or fees associated with playing the game. These could include transaction fees, taxes, or other charges. It is important to be aware of these potential costs before playing.

5. How much can I win by playing this simple number game?

The potential winnings for a simple number game will vary depending on the game and its rules. Some games may have a set prize amount, while others may have a progressive jackpot that increases with each play. It is important to check the rules and potential winnings before playing.