How much time do I have to catch a coin?

In summary, there is a confusion about velocities in this problem and whether the coin's initial velocity is affected by the movement of the walkway. From Philipp's perspective, the coin's initial velocity is zero and its transfer kinetic energy is also zero. However, from the speaker's perspective, the coin's initial velocity is not zero due to the movement of the walkway. This leads to a discrepancy in the equations, but it is resolved when considering the total distance the coin must travel.
Lotto
Homework Statement
When riding up the inclined moving walkway of inclination ##α## and length ##l## a coin drops out of Philipp’s pocket when he is exactly in the middle of it. It falls into one of the grooves on the walkway and starts rolling down without slipping. How much time does Philipp have to catch the coin before it falls under the bottom edge of the walkway? The velocity of the moving walkway is ##v##.
Relevant Equations
I would use an euqation for a rotational kinetic energy ##\frac 12 I{\omega}^2## and an equation for a transfer kinetic energy ##\frac 12 mv^2##. ##I=\frac 12 mR^2##.
I am a bit confused with velocities in this problem. From Philipp's view, the coin's initial velocity is zero, so its transfer kinetic energy is also zero. When I am standing on a non-moving ground, is the coin's initial velocity ##v## in direction the walkway is moving? But won't I get then different times?

From Philipp's view: ##\frac 12 l=\frac 12 at^2##
From my view: ##\frac12 l=\frac 12 at^2-vt##

Where do I do a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are four quantities there. You've assumed correctly that ##a## and ##t## are the same in both frames. And, that ##v## is different in the two frames (##v = 0## in Philipp's frame). What about ##l##? Is that the same in both frames?

Likes Lotto
PeroK said:
There are four quantities there. You've assumed correctly that ##a## and ##t## are the same in both frames. And, that ##v## is different in the two frames (##v = 0## in Philipp's frame). What about ##l##? Is that the same in both frames?
Now I understand, in Philipp's frame, the total way the coin must travel is ##\frac 12 l+vt##, so then the equations are equivalent.

Likes PeroK

1. How does the height of the coin affect the time I have to catch it?

The height of the coin does not affect the time you have to catch it. The time it takes for the coin to fall is determined by the acceleration due to gravity, not the height from which it is dropped.

2. Does the size of the coin impact the time I have to catch it?

No, the size of the coin does not affect the time you have to catch it. The time it takes for the coin to fall is determined by the acceleration due to gravity, not the size of the object.

3. Is the time it takes to catch a coin the same for everyone?

Yes, the time it takes for a coin to fall and be caught is the same for everyone. As long as the coin is dropped from the same height and caught at the same height, the time it takes will be the same for all individuals.

4. Does the shape of the coin affect the time I have to catch it?

No, the shape of the coin does not affect the time you have to catch it. The time it takes for the coin to fall is determined by the acceleration due to gravity, not the shape of the object.

5. Will the time it takes to catch a coin change if it is dropped in a vacuum?

No, the time it takes for a coin to fall and be caught will not change if it is dropped in a vacuum. The acceleration due to gravity remains the same regardless of the surrounding environment.