Calculating Torque and RPM for Moving a Drawer with a Tiny Motor

• Thread starter BeautifulInsanity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor Torque
In summary: C1CHFX_enUS577US577&ei=BfGYWtG-LcfBjwS3nL6YAw&q=%22car+window+motors%22&oq=%22car+window+motors%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i30k1l3j0i5i30k1l7.497344917.497361005.0.497370201.17.17.0.0.0.0.279.1788.13j3j1.17.0...0...
BeautifulInsanity
Hey I'm trying to work out a physics calculation,

if I have a drawer (any type of drawer regardless of size), that sits on wheels so friction = negligible, and it is as an example 14 inch deep, 6 inches high, and 20 inches wide, it has an empty weight of 4 pounds, and a loaded weight of 10lbs, how much torgue and / rpm do I need to move that drawer 12 inches from starting point, allowing for 2 inches to remain in the original travel path. Also with consideration the drawer would need a reverse function following its travel back to start. am I looking at 100rpms a/c tiny motor should do it ?

Ideas ...thoughts ... questions...considerations...

Thanks a bunch.

Engineering news on Phys.org
BeautifulInsanity said:
friction = negligible
How much torque? Anything greater than zero; now would you like to rephrase the question?

Likes Averagesupernova
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
BeautifulInsanity said:
sits on wheels so friction = negligible
Not really. You can minimize the friction with good quality bearings, but the minimum torque will be determined by the linear force required to overcome the bearing friction. Add more torque to be able to accelerate the drawer quicker.

What kind of drive are you thinking of using? It will need to be tolerant of people pulling and pushing on the drawer, most likely...?

Have you looked at the drive mechanisms that are used for PC DVD drawer opening/closing? That might give you a starting point...

the drawers are specifically for a my bedroom dresser (i'm going to build from scratch) ...anyway...drawers always have rails to slide on. They also have a maximum travel (unless you pull the drawer completely out)... so this is a youtube video of sort of what i want to try... the only difference instead of going up and down it would travel front to back. I suppose it could be a servo, or a linear actuator, but i was thinking just a simple little motor that pushed when you pushed a button, then would stop, then push the button for retraction.

BeautifulInsanity said:
i was thinking just a simple little motor that pushed when you pushed a button, then would stop, then push the button for retraction.

As a general rule, motors don't push or pull; they go round and round. If you want push or pull, you have to put something between the motor and the object to be pushed or pulled.

Likes berkeman
yeah I was thinking of a winding rod with a gear ...(like a worm screw - i think they call it), but it could also be done with a convey belt system (miniature version), where 2 gears are housed on the drawer and move internally to a belt in a linear motion with a 5th wheels receiving power from a motor via gears. You'd have to do 2 sides, unless it all can fit underneath the bottom, keeping in mind the actually weight of the drawer & contents would be transferred to rail guides (metal) with a weight capcity of up to 50 lbs, so there's no load bearing on the motor or components, basically it just has to slide it front & back.

1. What is a tiny silent motor/torque?

A tiny silent motor/torque is a small, compact motor that generates rotational force, or torque, without making much noise. It is commonly used in electronic devices, such as small appliances, toys, and medical equipment.

2. How does a tiny silent motor/torque work?

A tiny silent motor/torque works by using electromagnetic fields to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. This causes a shaft to rotate, producing torque, which can then be used to power various devices.

3. What are the advantages of using a tiny silent motor/torque?

There are several advantages to using a tiny silent motor/torque. Firstly, it is compact and lightweight, making it ideal for use in small devices. It also operates quietly, making it suitable for applications where noise is a concern. Additionally, it is energy-efficient and can provide precise control over rotational speed and torque.

4. What are the different types of tiny silent motors/torques?

There are several types of tiny silent motors/torques, including brushed DC motors, brushless DC motors, and stepper motors. Each type has its own unique features and applications. For example, brushed DC motors are simple and inexpensive, while brushless DC motors are more efficient and have a longer lifespan.

5. What are some common uses for a tiny silent motor/torque?

A tiny silent motor/torque has a wide range of applications, including in consumer electronics, robotics, medical devices, and automotive systems. It is often used to power small fans, pumps, and gears, as well as to control the movement of robotic limbs and joints. It is also commonly found in household appliances, such as electric toothbrushes and hairdryers.