How Much Will a Thrown Frozen Chicken Warm Up?

• Thread starter defyingravity0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, the problem involves throwing a frozen chicken out of a 20 m high window and determining the expected change in temperature, assuming all potential energy converts to thermal energy. The specific heat of the chicken is given as 4186 J/kg ∙ K. The options for the change in temperature are 0.047 C°, 0.071 C°, and 0.053 C°, but the mass of the chicken is needed to solve the problem accurately. However, there are many assumptions and factors to consider, such as air resistance, heat loss, and phase transitions, that can affect the answer. It is recommended to develop an expression for change in temperature in terms of the given parameters.
defyingravity0
Homework Statement
You decide to throw a frozen chicken out of a 20 m high window. How much do you expect the chicken to warm up by, assuming all of the potential energy converts to thermal energy. Treat the chicken having a specific heat of 4186 J/kg ∙ K.
Relevant Equations
PE= mgh
Q= mc delta T
Problem Statement: You decide to throw a frozen chicken out of a 20 m high window. How much do you expect the chicken to warm up by, assuming all of the potential energy converts to thermal energy. Treat the chicken having a specific heat of 4186 J/kg ∙ K.
Relevant Equations: PE= mgh
Q= mc delta T

the options are

0.047 C°

0.071 C°

0.053 C°

Need the mass of the chicken to solveI am leaning towards the last because without the mass how do I go about finding potential energy or even finding the original amount of heat

Physics news on Phys.org
defyingravity0 said:
I am leaning towards the last because without the mass how do I go about finding potential energy or even finding the original amount of heat
I suggest you first try to find an expression for the change in temperature without using specific values for any of the parameters. What does that lead you to?

defyingravity0 said:
Problem Statement: You decide to throw a frozen chicken out of a 20 m high window. How much do you expect the chicken to warm up by, assuming all of the potential energy converts to thermal energy. Treat the chicken having a specific heat of 4186 J/kg ∙ K.
Q= mc delta T

Q= mc delta T

the options are

0.047 C°

0.071 C°

0.053 C°

Need the mass of the chicken to solveI am leaning towards the last because without the mass how do I go about finding potential energy or even finding the original amount of heat

I think you should suggest to whomever set this question that they go buy an oven.

• Haha
Likes Orodruin
PeroK said:
I think you should suggest to whomever set this question that they go buy an oven.
Recipe:
5. Drop chicken from 20 m 200 times.

I call this dish "Chicken a la asphalt".

Likes PeroK
Orodruin said:
Recipe:
5. Drop chicken from 20 m 200 times.

I call this dish "Chicken a la asphalt".
Poulet tombé, maybe?

defyingravity0 said:
without the mass how do I go about finding potential energy
Would the answer be different if you were to throw two chickens?

This problem is an example of a problem that is "cute" by design in order to arouse interest, but the number of assumptions needed to choose one of the answers can be large. Here are just a few but I am sure there are more.
1. We ignore air resistance as usual.
2. The rise in temperature is distributed equally and without heat loss from the point of impact to the entire mass of the chicken.
3. No part of the chicken undergoes a local phase transition from solid to liquid.
4. The energy transferred to the pavement is negligible.

I will forgo the humorous assumptions. I should also point out that, according to the specific heat of food and foodstuff table, the relevant specific heats are around 1500 J/kg oC for frozen chicken and about twice that for thawed chicken. Both numbers are significantly below the purported value of about 4200 J/kg oC which matches that of liquid water.

Likes PeroK
I recommend the advice in post #2. So that means to develop an expression for delta T in terms of m, g, h, and c.

1. How does a frozen chicken warm up when thrown?

When a frozen chicken is thrown, it will warm up due to the transfer of kinetic energy. The force of the throw causes the chicken to collide with the air molecules, which in turn causes the molecules to vibrate and generate heat. This heat energy is then transferred to the chicken, causing it to warm up.

2. How long does it take for a thrown frozen chicken to warm up?

The time it takes for a thrown frozen chicken to warm up will depend on various factors such as the initial temperature of the chicken, the force of the throw, and the surrounding temperature. Generally, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes for a frozen chicken to warm up when thrown.

3. Can a thrown frozen chicken become fully cooked?

No, a thrown frozen chicken will not become fully cooked. While it may warm up and thaw to a certain extent, it will not reach a high enough temperature to cook through. In order for a chicken to be fully cooked, it needs to reach an internal temperature of at least 165°F, which is unlikely to happen when thrown.

4. Is it safe to eat a thrown frozen chicken?

It is not recommended to eat a thrown frozen chicken. When a chicken is thrown, it is exposed to various elements and surfaces which can lead to contamination. Additionally, the chicken may not have thawed evenly, resulting in some parts being warmer than others, potentially causing foodborne illness if consumed.

5. Can a thrown frozen chicken cause injury?

Yes, a thrown frozen chicken can cause injury. When thrown at high speeds, the chicken can become a dangerous projectile and can potentially cause harm if it hits someone. It is important to handle frozen chickens safely and not use them as objects for throwing.