How Much Work Is Done on a Lift Pulled Up by a Cable?

In summary, a 20 kg block is placed on a 1000 kg lift that is being pulled up 25m by a cable. The normal force on the block is 300N, which results in a work of 7500J. The work done on the lift by the force on the cable is 15*(1020)*25 = 382500J or 382.5 kJ. The work done by gravity is -249900J, and the net work is -242400J or -242.4 kJ. The acceleration of the lift is 5m/s^2 and the velocity at 25m is approximately 15.8 m/s.
Full Beige

Homework Statement

a block of mass m = 20 kg is placed on the floor of a lift (mass M = 1000 kg), the lift is being pulled up distance d =25m by a cable, the normal force on the block FN has a constant magnitude of 300N, how much work is done on the lift by the force on the cable?

Homework Equations

Wgravity = -mgd m=mass, d = distance, g= 9.8

W = Fd

Wnet = [tex]\sum Work[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For Normal force I used W = Fd >> 300N x 25m = 7500J

For Wgravity I did >> -(20+1000) x 9.8 x 25 = -249900 J

Then Wnet = -Wgravity + W = -249900 + 7500 = -242400 J or -242.4 KJ

for some reason I don't think this is right? can anybody give me any advice please? I have not been provided with the actual answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
Careful.

The work apparently resulted in an increase in potential energy all right. But it also apparently resulted in an increase in kinetic energy as well.

At 25m what is the speed of the elevator?

LowlyPion said:
Careful.

The work apparently resulted in an increase in potential energy all right. But it also apparently resulted in an increase in kinetic energy as well.

At 25m what is the speed of the elevator?

lowlypion there is no speed given in the question. if I work it out then would it be V = [tex]\sqrt{2K / m}[/tex] , what value would I use for Kinetic energy? Wnet or W?

Hi, since LowlyPion is offline, I'll give You a clue:
the lift is being pulled up from initial velocity 0, now it had to have speed after X meters,
how can You find acceleration with a mass of a body and the normal force exerted by the floor on the body?and than you should find the velocity.
good luck

Full Beige said:
lowlypion there is no speed given in the question. if I work it out then would it be V = [tex]\sqrt{2K / m}[/tex] , what value would I use for Kinetic energy? Wnet or W?

Actually you are right, in that they don't give the initial speed and so that is not a good way to go. My comment was really directed at the notion that the work against gravity not relating to the total energy should be a clue that work was going into increasing kinetic energy.

So look at it another way.

If the force on the block is 300N then the force on the cable will be in the same ratio.

Hence I think you can say

300N / 20 kg = Fc / (1000 + 20)

Fc = 15*(1020)

So work by the cable over the same distance should look like

W = Fc * d

LowlyPion said:
Actually you are right, in that they don't give the initial speed and so that is not a good way to go. My comment was really directed at the notion that the work against gravity not relating to the total energy should be a clue that work was going into increasing kinetic energy.

If the force on the block is 300N then the force on the cable will be in the same ratio.

Fc = 15*(1020)

W = Fc * d

Just wanted to approve the answer.
done in a different way and got the same answer.
If you're interested:
m=20kg weigh in non accelerating lift = 200 N , in this one 300N thus acceleration = 5m/s^2
using kinematics V^2=250
W= change in Ke and Ep= m*250/2 + m*250. while m=1020.
same answer! awesome :D
IMO LowlyPion's method is better, although i didn't quite understood it...

Dweirdo said:
Just wanted to approve the answer.
done in a different way and got the same answer.
If you're interested:
m=20kg weigh in non accelerating lift = 200 N , in this one 300N thus acceleration = 5m/s^2
using kinematics V^2=250
W= change in Ke and Ep= m*250/2 + m*250. while m=1020.
same answer! awesome :D
IMO LowlyPion's method is better, although i didn't quite understood it...

Sure you do.

F = m*a

Acceleration is (must be) the same.

LowlyPion said:
Sure you do.

F = m*a

Acceleration is (must be) the same.

awww , awesome ! stupid me XD
thanks

LowlyPion said:

Fc = 15*(1020)

W = Fc * d

hmm I can see what you are saying that the two forces can be the same, but I don't quite understand why the Work gravity does not affect it? since the lift is moving upwards, does gravity not affect it? sorry if its a stupid question. thanks two both of you guys for your help.

Full Beige said:
hmm I can see what you are saying that the two forces can be the same, but I don't quite understand why the Work gravity does not affect it? since the lift is moving upwards, does gravity not affect it? sorry if its a stupid question. thanks two both of you guys for your help.

Of course gravity enters into it. And some of the work of the lift goes into raising the mass over the 25m. But the statement of the problem indicates that there is an excess of energy developed, that will go into kinetic energy.

Looking at the weight of the block on the floor you can see that the 20 kg times 9.8 is short of the 300N force given from the motion. So part of the 300N is gravity induced (196N of it ) and the remainder ( 104N ) goes into acceleration of the block.

Well if the block is accelerating then so is the lift. And if the lift is accelerating then the lift's mass acceleration plus its weight at rest, will be in the same proportion as the blocks acceleration and its weight at rest.

LowlyPion said:
Of course gravity enters into it. And some of the work of the lift goes into raising the mass over the 25m. But the statement of the problem indicates that there is an excess of energy developed, that will go into kinetic energy.

Looking at the weight of the block on the floor you can see that the 20 kg times 9.8 is short of the 300N force given from the motion. So part of the 300N is gravity induced (196N of it ) and the remainder ( 104N ) goes into acceleration of the block.

Well if the block is accelerating then so is the lift. And if the lift is accelerating then the lift's mass acceleration plus its weight at rest, will be in the same proportion as the blocks acceleration and its weight at rest.

Omg I never saw it like that, how'd you get so smart lol. Thanks a lot lowlypion.

Related to How Much Work Is Done on a Lift Pulled Up by a Cable?

1. How is work done on a lift calculated?

The work done on a lift is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the lift by the distance the lift moves. This is represented by the equation W= F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

2. What is the purpose of calculating work done on a lift?

Calculating work done on a lift helps us understand the amount of energy required to lift an object to a certain height. It also helps in determining the efficiency of the lift system.

3. Does the weight of an object affect the amount of work done on a lift?

Yes, the weight of an object affects the amount of work done on a lift. The greater the weight of the object, the more work is required to lift it to a certain height.

4. How does the direction of the lift affect the work done?

The direction of the lift does not affect the work done on it. The work done is only dependent on the force applied and the distance the lift moves, regardless of the direction.

5. Can work be done on a lift without lifting any objects?

Yes, work can be done on a lift without lifting any objects. This can happen when the lift is moving without any weight or when the force applied to the lift is in a horizontal direction.