How "plastic" do you think heated rocks become?

In summary, a magma chamber in the Earth's crust can heat the surrounding 1-2 km above the brittle-ductile transition zone. To create a plastic model of this area, the yield strength would need to be defined, potentially using a lower value and considering temperature as a factor. However, without data from stress-strain testing, these models are speculative. Many rocks in the Earth's crust have been tested and show plastic behavior under high confining pressure, but further testing is needed to determine the relationship between plasticity and temperature. Lab testing or in situ testing with parameter guesses could help validate these models.
PinkGeologist
Consider a magma chamber in the Earth's crust ... models show that 1-2 km surrounding this chamber are heated above the brittle-ductile transition zone.

Let's say that you know the yield strength of the crust in general (not heated) is 15 MPa ... and after that, rocks under heavy confining pressure behave plastically anyway. Let's say they behave as an ideal plastic.

If you want to create a plastic model of the area, how would you define the extra plasticity of that hot zone? A lower yield strength? How much lower? Is there a function of temperature you know of as a standard?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you even know that plastic is the right model (rather than visco-elastic)?

How many of the rock materials have been tested on an Instron (or similar) to map out their stres-strain relationships over the range of temperatures?

Without data, a lot of these models are little more than guesses.

Many rocks of the composition I'm interested in have undergone stress-strain testing in laboratory conditions that show plastic behaviors under the high confining pressure we see in the Earth's crust ... and for confining pressures up to nearly 100 MPa the behavior is nearly ideally plastic ... after that, there is some significant hardening.

I am just interested in how I'd treat the heated rock ... would the only way to get even a hand-waving handle on the parameters be to have empirical lab test results? Well, I know that is a loaded question ... but I guess I just want to know if there are reasonable methods to relate the plasticity and temperature in the material.

PinkGeologist said:
I am just interested in how I'd treat the heated rock ... would the only way to get even a hand-waving handle on the parameters be to have empirical lab test results? Well, I know that is a loaded question ... but I guess I just want to know if there are reasonable methods to relate the plasticity and temperature in the material.

I've seen too much bogus modeling claiming to be "reasonable" without anything like real experimental validation.

Lab testing under temperature would be one way to gain confidence in the parameter behaviors.

Another approach might be to conduct modeling beforehand with some guesses for the parameters and then conduct some in situ testing to see if the guesses about parameters yield reasonable results.

This approach runs the risk of having too many adjustable parameters for the experiments to be a valid test of the modelling efforts.

1. How does heat affect the plasticity of rocks?

Heat can greatly affect the plasticity of rocks. When rocks are heated, their molecular structure changes and they become softer and more malleable. This allows them to be molded and shaped into different forms, similar to how plastic can be molded when heated.

2. Can all types of rocks become "plastic" when heated?

No, not all rocks have the same level of plasticity when heated. Some rocks, such as igneous rocks, have a higher plasticity than others, like sedimentary rocks. This is due to differences in their composition and how they were formed.

3. How is the plasticity of rocks measured?

The plasticity of rocks is measured using a scientific method called the triaxial test. This involves applying pressure and stress to a heated rock sample and measuring its ability to deform and change shape. The results of this test can determine the plasticity of a rock.

4. Can rocks retain their plasticity after being cooled down?

Yes, some rocks can retain their plasticity even after being cooled down. This is known as thermal plasticity and is common in certain types of rocks, such as shale. However, once the rocks are cooled down, they may not be as malleable as they were when they were heated.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the plasticity of rocks?

Yes, understanding the plasticity of rocks has many practical applications. It is important in fields such as geology and mining, where the properties of rocks are important in determining their use and potential for extraction. It is also relevant in areas of construction, where the plasticity of rocks can impact the stability and strength of structures built on or with rocks.