Constitutive behavior of elasto-plastic vs visco-elastic?

• Thread starter PinkGeologist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary: So if you are trying to model a yield surface with a wave propagation model, you are going to have a much harder time than if you are using a more viscous model.In summary, the material does not dissipate energy, but visco-elastic materials do. It's a question of relaxation times and the timescale of the physics you are interested in. If the crust has enough time to relax then you need a visco model. However, if the relaxation is due to thermal softening due to heat transport, you could probably get away with elastic plastic model with thermal softening.
PinkGeologist
If someone were to ask you to define the difference, what would you said? (to justify modeling a material one way or the other)

In an elasto-plastic solid you see permanent deformation after the yield strength is breached as a function of ... stress, right? (in the von Mises regime).

If the same material is modeled as visco-elastic, does any "yield strength" even apply, or do you see some visco-elastic strain over time (and under some load of course, with intervals of deviatoric stress) and thus capture some "extra" details (I don't think "creep" is important because we are talking about the Maxwell treatment).

I have been combing the web and YouTube for a CLEAR and TOTAL distinction between the two and I only find tidbits.

(if you care, the material we are discussing is Earth's crust, heated in the area of a magma chamber, which applies intervals of "excess pressure" to the crust around it when it is being actively filled with magma from below and expanding as gases exsolve).

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any knowledge in area this but maybe this link will help?
In particular, it mentions that for elastic materials it does not dissipate energy, but visco-elastic materials do.

It's a question of relaxation times and the timescale of the physics you are interested in. If the crust has enough time to relax then you need a visco model. However, if the relaxation is due to thermal softening due to heat transport, you could probably get away with elastic plastic model with thermal softening. The important thing to realize is that most constitutive models are not universal. They are calibrated for a particular regime.

Likes PinkGeologist
caz said:
It's a question of relaxation times and the timescale of the physics you are interested in. If the crust has enough time to relax then you need a visco model. However, if the relaxation is due to thermal softening due to heat transport, you could probably get away with elastic plastic model with thermal softening. The important thing to realize is that most constitutive models are not universal. They are calibrated for a particular regime.

I calculated the relaxation time and it is on the order of 10^-8 s ... I am having a hard time understanding the PHYSICAL meaning of relaxation time. Are we saying the crust relaxes in << 1 second? Because I can't see how that would even be worth considering on the timescales we are interested in (The surface over a volcano is lifted by 2-16 cm over a period of 2-3 years while the chamber pressurizes).

I think I may not fully understand what that 10^-8 seconds represents.

BTW, wave propagation models can be problematic for deformation because they need to account for a lot of high frequency stuff over very long distances. For yield surfaces, the strength of intact rock is significantly higher at low pressures than the strength from frictional sliding.

What is the difference between elasto-plastic and visco-elastic behavior?

Elasto-plastic behavior refers to the deformation of a material that exhibits both elastic and plastic properties. This means that the material can return to its original shape after being subjected to stress, but also undergo permanent deformation when the stress exceeds a certain threshold. On the other hand, visco-elastic behavior refers to the deformation of a material that exhibits both viscous and elastic properties. This means that the material can exhibit both immediate elastic response and delayed viscous response when subjected to stress.

How do elasto-plastic and visco-elastic behavior affect the mechanical properties of a material?

Elasto-plastic behavior can result in changes in the mechanical properties such as strength, stiffness, and ductility of a material, as it undergoes plastic deformation. Visco-elastic behavior, on the other hand, can result in time-dependent mechanical properties, such as creep and stress relaxation, which can affect the overall performance of a material.

What are the main factors that influence the constitutive behavior of elasto-plastic and visco-elastic materials?

The constitutive behavior of a material is influenced by various factors such as temperature, strain rate, loading history, and microstructure. These factors can affect the elastic, plastic, viscous, and time-dependent responses of a material, leading to different types of behavior.

How is the constitutive behavior of elasto-plastic and visco-elastic materials characterized?

The constitutive behavior of a material is typically characterized using stress-strain curves, which show the relationship between stress and strain for a given material. For elasto-plastic materials, the curve will exhibit a yield point and plastic deformation, while for visco-elastic materials, the curve will exhibit time-dependent behavior such as creep and stress relaxation.

What are some practical applications of understanding the constitutive behavior of elasto-plastic and visco-elastic materials?

Understanding the constitutive behavior of materials is crucial in many engineering applications, such as designing structures and components that can withstand different types of loading conditions. For example, understanding the visco-elastic behavior of materials is essential in designing products that are subjected to long-term stresses, such as buildings and bridges. Similarly, understanding the elasto-plastic behavior of materials is crucial in designing products that are subjected to high stress and strain, such as car parts and airplane wings.