How quickly is the mass of the tree increasing?

In summary, A tree trunk is approximated by a circular cylinder of height 50 meters and diameter 4 meters. The tree is growing taller at a rate of 4 meters per year and the diameter is increasing at a rate of 5 cm per year. The density of the wood is 4000 Kg per cubic meter. The mass of the tree is increasing at a rate of approximately 232,476 Kg per year.
mvgio124
A tree trunk is approximated by a circular cylinder of height 50 meters and diameter 4 meters. The tree is growing taller at a rate of 4 meters per year and the diameter is increasing at a rate of 5 cm per year. The density of the wood is 4000 Kg per cubic meter. How quickly is the mass of the tree increasing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mass = Density*Volume. [tex]\frac{d(Mass(t))}{dt}[/tex] = Density*[tex]\frac{d(Volume(t))}{dt}[/tex]

Does that help?

yes it does but my webwork homework site keeps saying it got it wrong. wouldn't d/dt volume be 4(4pi)+50pi(5/200)^(2)? i don't know where I am going wrong in the calculation

mvgio124 said:
yes it does but my webwork homework site keeps saying it got it wrong. wouldn't d/dt volume be 4(4pi)+50pi(5/200)^(2)? i don't know where I am going wrong in the calculation

Yes the second term there looks wrong. Remember, Volume is [tex]\pi[/tex]*r2*h.

well I am completely stumped now. i have no clue what numbers to input. wouldn't d/dt of volume be (d/dheight)(pi*r^(2))+height(d/dr radius)pi? how do u input those numbers correctly based on the info?

Take a breather :smile:

[tex]\frac{d(r*r)}{dt}[/tex] = 2*r*[tex]\frac{dr}{dt}[/tex]. So that (5/200)2 you plugged in, is wrong.

Last edited:
well diameters rate of change is 5 cm or 5/100 half of that is the radius' rate of change 5/200 or 1/40. so b/c of the formula u just gave d/dt r^(2) would be 2*(1/40)

Yes. (There was a typo in my post(corrected now)). So it would really be 2*2*5/200 instead of (5/200)2

ok well i do the entire d/dt volume and get 4(4pi)+50pi(2/40)and which come to 16pi+100/40pi. that comes to d/dt volume is 37pi/2 or 58.119. i then multiplied that by density 4000 and got 232476. but when i submit that answer it keeps saying that it is incorrect

It's not 2/40, it's 4/40. You should be more careful with your calculations..

Related to How quickly is the mass of the tree increasing?

1. How do you measure the mass of a tree?

The mass of a tree can be measured using various methods such as weighing the tree on a scale, estimating the volume and density of the tree, or using advanced technologies like LiDAR or radar.

2. What factors contribute to the increase in mass of a tree?

The increase in mass of a tree is primarily influenced by its growth rate, which is influenced by factors such as access to sunlight, water, and nutrients, as well as the tree's age and genetics.

3. How quickly does the mass of a tree increase?

The rate at which a tree's mass increases varies depending on its species, age, and environmental conditions. On average, a healthy tree can increase its mass by 1-2% annually.

4. Can a tree's mass decrease?

Yes, a tree's mass can decrease due to natural causes such as disease, insect infestation, or environmental stressors like drought or pollution. Human activities like logging can also significantly reduce a tree's mass.

5. How can we use the rate of mass increase in trees to study climate change?

By studying the rate of mass increase in trees, scientists can track how much carbon dioxide is being absorbed and stored by trees, which can help in understanding the impact of climate change on the world's forests and ecosystems.