How rubbing a needle on a magnet affects its polarity

The direction of rubbing does not affect the polarity of the needle, but the side of the magnet being rubbed on does. In summary, when rubbing a needle on a magnet, the polarity of the needle will be affected by the side of the magnet that it is rubbed on. The direction of rubbing does not change the polarity, but it is more effective to pull the needle towards you rather than push it away in terms of magnetization.
UserOfPhysics

Homework Statement

It is known that when rubbing a needle on a magnet, the needle will become magnetized.

If you rub the needle on the north side of the magnet, will it point differently than if you rubbed it on the south side of the magnet? Does it matter what direction you rub the needle?

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I actually tried doing that manually. The 1st time I tried, I came to the conclusion that side doesn't matter, it's the direction of rubbing that matters. However, I just did it again and I've come to the conclusion that side matters and direction of rubbing doesn't matter.

Thank you for any ideas. Also, I'm new to the forum, so sorry if I broke any rules :(

Physics news on Phys.org
It would seem the best way to magnetize a needle using a cylindrical magnet would be to draw it along the edge of one of the pole faces, pulling it towards you. This is where the magnetic field is the strongest and pointing along the direction of your needle. If you do this on the north pole, the part of the needle away from your hand should acquire a "north pole". Alternatively, doing this on the south pole should give the part of the needle away from your hand a south pole. If you instead draw the needle flat across one of the pole faces, the magnetic field points at right angles to the needle and won't be very effective in magnetizing it.

Charles Link said:
It would seem the best way to magnetize a needle using a cylindrical magnet would be to draw it along the edge of one of the pole faces, pulling it towards you. This is where the magnetic field is the strongest and pointing along the direction of your needle. If you do this on the north pole, the part of the needle away from your hand should acquire a "north pole". Alternatively, doing this on the south pole should give the part of the needle away from your hand a south pole. If you instead draw the needle flat across one of the pole faces, the magnetic field points at right angles to the needle and won't be very effective in magnetizing it.
I see, I have been rubbing it flat, but my magnet is square, not cylindrical.

You mentioned that rubbing towards me on the north pole would result in the part of the needle away from my hand to be attracted to north. Would pushing the needle away from me change its attraction, or would it not make any difference?

UserOfPhysics said:
I see, I have been rubbing it flat, but my magnet is square, not cylindrical.

You mentioned that rubbing towards me on the north pole would result in the part of the needle away from my hand to be attracted to north. Would pushing the needle away from me change its attraction, or would it not make any difference?
I believe pushing the needle away from you would be less effective. Pulling it towards you makes it experience an increase in the magnetic field along the needle as it is drawn across the edge by the pole.

Charles Link said:
I believe pushing the needle away from you would be less effective. Pulling it towards you makes it experience an increase in the magnetic field along the needle as it is drawn across the edge by the pole.
But it wouldn't change the polarity of the needle, right?

UserOfPhysics said:
But it wouldn't change the polarity of the needle, right?
That's correct.

Likes UserOfPhysics

1. What is polarity?

Polarity refers to the direction of a magnetic field. In other words, it describes the orientation of the north and south poles of a magnet.

2. How does rubbing a needle on a magnet affect its polarity?

When a needle is rubbed on a magnet, it becomes temporarily magnetized. This means that the needle's atoms align themselves in the same direction as the magnet's atoms, causing the needle to have a north and south pole of its own.

3. Does rubbing a needle on a magnet change its polarity permanently?

No, rubbing a needle on a magnet only affects its polarity temporarily. Once the needle is removed from the magnet, it will eventually lose its magnetization and return to its original state.

4. Can rubbing a needle on a magnet affect its ability to attract or repel other magnets?

Yes, when a needle is magnetized, it will have the ability to attract or repel other magnets, just like a regular magnet. The strength of this magnetic force will depend on the strength of the needle's magnetization.

5. Does the direction of rubbing on the magnet affect the polarity of the needle?

Yes, the direction of rubbing on the magnet can affect the polarity of the needle. Rubbing in one direction will align the needle's atoms in a certain direction, while rubbing in the opposite direction will align the atoms in the opposite direction, resulting in a different polarity.