How Secure is an Automatic Hair Comb in Your Pocket?

In summary, the OTF comb has a magnetic force of 1 lb, 12 oz. to keep the plastic comb "blade" in the closed position. It takes 28 oz. of force to eject the 1 oz. blade, which is equivalent to an acceleration of 28 gees. The original poster is wondering if this is a secure configuration for carrying the comb in their pocket, and has conducted rudimentary testing but is still looking for mathematical formulas or ideas to determine its safety.
goldliger
Hey guys!

I've got an OTF comb (a.k.a. "out the front," where the plastic hair comb "blade" ejects straight out from the handle) that is held in the closed position with 1 lb, 12 ounces of magnetic force. I.e, upon measuring it takes 1 lb, 12 oz. of finger pressure against the comb switch to eject the comb *automatically*. The plastic comb "blade" itself weighs 1 oz.

Basically, I'm wondering how one would go about determining whether this is a reasonably secure configuration -- and by "secure" I mean - what would it take to have the comb eject from the handle accidentally while being carried in the pocket) considering the plastic comb "blade" will be carried in the pocket and generally tip pointed down (within the handle, of course). I've done rudimentary testing such as jumping up and down, stomping, shaking my pockets, etc, with this automatic comb in my pocket - pretty much everything short of jumping off a 100 foot cliff with rock slab at the bottom...

Any ideas, mathematical formulas, etc, are most welcome, and thanks for your time!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Since it takes 16+12= 28oz of force to eject the 1oz blade it would require an acceleration of 28 gees (28 times gravity). This is the impact acceleration required to set off an airbag...

goldliger said:
Hey guys!

I've got an OTF comb (a.k.a. "out the front," where the plastic hair comb "blade" ejects straight out from the handle) that is held in the closed position with 1 lb, 12 ounces of magnetic force. I.e, upon measuring it takes 1 lb, 12 oz. of finger pressure against the comb switch to eject the comb *automatically*. The plastic comb "blade" itself weighs 1 oz.

Basically, I'm wondering how one would go about determining whether this is a reasonably secure configuration -- and by "secure" I mean - what would it take to have the comb eject from the handle accidentally while being carried in the pocket) considering the plastic comb "blade" will be carried in the pocket and generally tip pointed down (within the handle, of course). I've done rudimentary testing such as jumping up and down, stomping, shaking my pockets, etc, with this automatic comb in my pocket - pretty much everything short of jumping off a 100 foot cliff with rock slab at the bottom...

Any ideas, mathematical formulas, etc, are most welcome, and thanks for your time!
This is reposting a locked thread, and very dishonest. Thread is closed. Check your messages.

1. What is an automatic hair comb?

An automatic hair comb is a device that is designed to comb and style hair without the need for manual brushing or combing. It typically uses motorized bristles or teeth to comb through the hair and can also have additional features such as heat or vibration for styling purposes.

2. How does an automatic hair comb work?

An automatic hair comb works by using a motor to rotate the comb's bristles or teeth, which then comb through the hair. The comb may also have additional features such as heat or vibration to help detangle and style the hair. Some automatic hair combs may also have sensors that detect tangles or knots and adjust the combing speed accordingly.

3. What are the benefits of using an automatic hair comb?

There are several benefits to using an automatic hair comb. It can save time and effort by eliminating the need for manual brushing or combing. It can also help reduce hair breakage and damage, as the motorized bristles are designed to be gentler on the hair. Additionally, some automatic hair combs have features that can help improve hair health, such as infrared technology that can stimulate hair growth.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using an automatic hair comb?

While there are many benefits to using an automatic hair comb, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. These devices can be more expensive than traditional combs or brushes, and they may require batteries or charging. Additionally, some automatic hair combs may not be suitable for all hair types and textures, so it is important to choose one that is compatible with your hair.

5. Can an automatic hair comb completely replace traditional hair brushing or combing?

No, an automatic hair comb cannot completely replace traditional hair brushing or combing. While it can be a useful tool for styling and detangling hair, it is still important to regularly brush or comb your hair to distribute natural oils and keep it healthy. Additionally, an automatic hair comb may not be able to fully replace the precision and control that can be achieved with manual brushing or combing.