Is My OTF Knife Configuration Safe for Everyday Carry?

In summary, this knife has a magnetic lock that requires 1 lb, 12 oz. of pressure to open the blade, which is held closed by a magnet.
goldliger
Hey guys, brand new here but looks like I'm in the right place :D

I've got an OTF knife (a.k.a. "out the front," where the blade ejects straight out from the handle) that is held in the closed position with 1 lb, 12 ounces of magnetic force. I.e, upon measuring it takes 1 lb, 12 oz. of finger pressure against the knife switch to eject the blade (automatically). The blade itself weighs 1 oz.

Basically, I'm wondering how one would go about determining whether this is a reasonably safe configuration, considering the knife will be carried in the pocket and generally tip pointed down (within the handle, of course). I've done rudimentary testing such as jumping up and down, stomping, shaking my pockets, etc, with the knife in my pocket - pretty much everything short of jumping off a 100 foot cliff with rock slab at the bottom, since I figure knife safety would be the least of my concerns on the way down. :)

Any ideas, mathematical formulas, etc, are most welcome, and thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
goldliger said:
I've got an OTF knife (a.k.a. "out the front," where the blade ejects straight out from the handle)
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

You need to check your local laws about that knife. Knife laws vary by country, state and local jurisdiction, but in many parts of the US at least, switchblade knives and butterfly knives are illegal (they are illegal in the part of the US where I live).

Last edited:
Yes you're correct about that - and thank you, good to be here. :)

Likes berkeman
Since the knife is most likely illegal, we can't really discuss it here (that's in the PF rules). I once bought a butterfly knife online many years ago before I found out they are illegal here in California. I thought it was a nice design and a handy way to be able to open a useful knife with one hand (I wanted to use it for hunting and fishing, etc.). Then I found out it was illegal (I still to this day do not understand why -- something about the tiny springiness that is used to help start opening it), and destroyed it and threw the pieces away. The risk was not worth the utility.

Anyway, sorry but this thread is now closed.

1. Is an OTF knife safe to carry every day?

It depends on the specific configuration of the OTF knife. Some OTF knives are designed for everyday carry and have safety features to prevent accidental deployment. However, others may not be suitable for everyday carry due to the risk of accidental deployment or other safety concerns.

2. How do I know if my OTF knife is safe for everyday carry?

You should carefully examine the design and features of your OTF knife to determine if it is safe for everyday carry. Look for features such as a safety switch or lock, as well as a sturdy and reliable mechanism for deployment and retraction.

3. Are there any laws or regulations regarding the use of OTF knives for everyday carry?

Yes, there may be laws or regulations in your state or country that restrict the use or carry of OTF knives. It is important to research and follow these laws to ensure you are using your OTF knife safely and legally.

4. Can I modify my OTF knife to make it safer for everyday carry?

It is not recommended to modify your OTF knife unless you are an experienced and knowledgeable knife maker. Modifying the knife could potentially compromise its safety and functionality, so it is best to stick with the manufacturer's design.

5. What are some important safety tips for carrying an OTF knife every day?

Always make sure the safety switch or lock is engaged when carrying your OTF knife. Additionally, keep the blade clean and free of debris, and never use the knife for anything other than its intended purpose. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the knife's mechanism to ensure it is functioning properly.