How stable are coatings put on by Sputtering?

In summary, the coating on the blade is dependent on the material being coated, the surface preparation, and the specific sputtering process used. The coating may resist physical wear or chemical attack.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Some metal coatings are put onto other metal surfaces using Sputtering. How stable, mechanically, are those coatings?
As an example specifically, sputtering is used for putting coatings onto razor blades. People are told to not wipe the blade for cleaning. So does the coating have any resistance like in case a user gives a single pull through something like a cork or a styrofoam cup, to remove any accumulated "dirt"?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It really depends on what material is being applied. Razor blades, for instance, have a lubricating layer applied; rather soft material.

Sputtering is generally done in a closed container where the material to be applied is made air-borne either with heat or agitation (ultrasonic or air bubbling thru it) with the target item suspended in the vicinity of the coating material. An example you may be familiar with is after taking a hot shower, you find the mirror is fogged over.

Bearing surfaces on a steel shaft that is running in sleeve bearings will eventually wear and end up undersize.

The fix is to plasma-spray (essentially directed sputtering) additional metal to the worn areas, then grind to the needed size and return to service.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G,
The coatings put onto razor blades(steel or stainless steel) using sputtering are often platinum, titanium, chromium (and I am not sure about the use of other metals to coat the blades). Again, my question is, how mechanically stable are these (metal) coatings? I can easily accept that polymer coatings , teflon, might be put onto the blades in a different way and could be less well attached.

As Tom said (but apparently didn't BOLD):
"It really depends on what material is being applied."

I would add:

And the base material
And the surface prep
And the details of the 'prep' of the applied material
And the specific circumstances of the sputter process (pressure, temp, etc.)

Your question is un-answerable.

Dullard said:
As Tom said (but apparently didn't BOLD):
"It really depends on what material is being applied."

I would add:

And the base material
And the surface prep
And the details of the 'prep' of the applied material
And the specific circumstances of the sputter process (pressure, temp, etc.)

Your question is un-answerable.
The only people then who know this answer would be the engineers at the companies which produce double edge razor blades, and I don't think they will tell outsiders. I guessed that if I asked here on PF, maybe some members who know about sputter deposition and the making of razor blades would be able to answer and explain.

Razor blades may be a commodity, but you pay more for higher quality blades which will have improved materials selected and better quality control of coatings. The manufacturer does not give their competitive intellectual property away in the literature, so there can be no one answer.

The cutting tool inserts used in machining metals are also selected based on material and coating. But in that industry the coatings are discussed in detail because engineers rather than salesmen are employed to generate interest in the product.

Some different coatings employed are; titanium carbide, TiC; poly-crystalline diamond, PCD; and cubic boron nitride, CBN.

Surface preparation and activation prior to coating will be important in determining physical and chemical stability.

Do you want to resist physical wear, or chemical attack?
What specific coating are you interested in?
Are you coating carbon steel blades, or stainless steel blades?

Baluncore said:
Do you want to resist physical wear, or chemical attack?
What specific coating are you interested in?
Are you coating carbon steel blades, or stainless steel blades?
I want to understand in a practical manner from a consumer's viewpoint, physical ware and chemical attach but mostly physical ware.

The interest is in each or all the coatings used for double edge razor blades.

Not in position to coat blades; just in position to use them for routine shaving ( part of common grooming). From all I am aware, the razor blades are stainless steel Different products are appended with different designations like "Super Stainless", or "superior platinum" or "Titanium" or "Hi-Stainless", or "Super Iridium", or "Hi-Chrome". Various other designations.

symbolipoint said:
Different products are appended with different designations like "Super Stainless", or "superior platinum" or "Titanium" or "Hi-Stainless", or "Super Iridium", or "Hi-Chrome".
Those are all marketing terms.
Platinum, titanium, iridium, and chrome, all reduce corrosion of the surface.
Stainless steel contains about 10% chrome, to form a passive layer of stable chromium oxide on the surface, that protects the iron in the alloy below.

1. How does sputtering affect the stability of coatings?

Sputtering is a physical vapor deposition technique that involves bombarding a target material with high-energy ions to release atoms or molecules that then deposit onto a substrate to form a coating. This process can lead to highly stable coatings as the deposited material is typically tightly bound to the substrate.

2. What factors influence the stability of sputtered coatings?

The stability of sputtered coatings can be influenced by various factors such as the type of target material, the energy and angle of ion bombardment, the composition and thickness of the coating, and the properties of the substrate material.

3. Are sputtered coatings more stable than other types of coatings?

Sputtered coatings can be highly stable due to the strong adhesion between the deposited material and the substrate. However, the stability of a coating also depends on its intended use and the specific conditions it will be exposed to.

4. Can the stability of sputtered coatings be improved?

Yes, the stability of sputtered coatings can be improved by optimizing the sputtering process parameters, using high-quality target materials, and selecting suitable substrate materials with compatible properties.

5. How can the stability of sputtered coatings be tested?

The stability of sputtered coatings can be tested through various methods such as thermal cycling, corrosion resistance testing, and mechanical stress testing. These tests can help determine the durability and reliability of the coating under different conditions.