How Thick Should Spider Silk Be to Hold Spiderman?

In summary, the conversation discussed the discovery of spider silk's ultimate strength and tensile stress, as well as the equation for calculating tensile stress. A question was then posed about the minimum diameter of a spider silk fibre needed to support the weight of someone with a mass of 63.2kg. The conversation ended with a clarification on the units for the tensile strength of spider silk.
mattyc33
In the course of the above research, they discovered that this spider silk has an ultimate strength #or
tensile strength of 1850mPa (see 11.4 in University Physics). Tensile stress is a measure of the
pressure in an object when it is stretched. Tensile strength is the maximum tensile stress that the
object can endure before breaking. The equation for tensile stress is Tensile Stress=F/A

where is the applied force F and A is the cross-sectional area of the object (in this case, the circle
formed by a cross-section of a fibre).

Ok, phew, so on to the question...

If Spiderman has mass 63.2kg , what is the minimum diameter of fibre (of C. darwini spider silk) required to support his weight?

I know that the area of a circle is Pi*r^2 but when I plug everything in I always get the wrong answer. I used force as mg, which didn't work. Could anyone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your units. Your problem statement did not indicate what units it wanted the diameter of the fibre expressed in.

I have verified that the question is needed in meters. If anyone could help me with this I would appreciate it greatly!

Last edited:
Is the tensile strength of the webbing 1850 milli pascals (mPa) or 1850 mega pascals (MPa)? It makes a difference. Do you know the derived units for a pascal?

I can provide a response to this question by using the formula for tensile stress and considering the given information. First, let's convert Spiderman's mass from kilograms to Newtons, as force is measured in Newtons. This gives us a force of approximately 620 N (using the conversion factor 1 kg = 9.8 N).

Next, we need to determine the cross-sectional area of the spider silk fiber. We can do this by rearranging the equation for tensile stress to solve for A: A = F/Tensile Stress. Plugging in the values of 620 N for F and 1850mPa (or 1.85 GPa) for tensile strength, we get a cross-sectional area of approximately 0.000335 m^2 or 335 mm^2.

Finally, to find the minimum diameter of the fiber, we can use the formula for the area of a circle (A = Pi*r^2) and solve for r. Plugging in the calculated area of 335 mm^2, we get a minimum diameter of approximately 20.6 mm. Therefore, the minimum diameter of the spider silk fiber needed to support Spiderman's weight would be approximately 20.6 mm.

I would also like to mention that this calculation assumes that the spider silk fiber is able to support Spiderman's weight without breaking, which may not be accurate in real-world scenarios. Other factors such as the strength and structure of the anchor points and the distribution of weight on the fiber would also need to be considered in order to accurately determine the minimum diameter of the fiber needed.

Related to How Thick Should Spider Silk Be to Hold Spiderman?

1. What is tension strength in physics?

Tension strength in physics refers to the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand before breaking or deforming.

2. How is tension strength calculated?

Tension strength is calculated by dividing the maximum load or force that a material can withstand by its cross-sectional area. This gives the value of tensile stress, which is measured in units of force per unit area (such as N/m² or Pa).

3. What factors affect tension strength?

The main factors that affect tension strength include the type and quality of material, its shape and size, and the direction and magnitude of the applied force. Other factors such as temperature, environment, and time can also play a role in determining the tension strength of a material.

4. How is tension strength different from compression strength?

Tension strength refers to the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand when pulled or stretched. Compression strength, on the other hand, refers to the maximum amount of stress or force that a material can withstand when compressed or squeezed.

5. Why is tension strength important in engineering and design?

Tension strength is important in engineering and design as it helps determine the structural integrity and safety of a material or structure. It is essential in ensuring that materials can withstand the expected forces and loads without breaking or deforming, thus preventing potential accidents or failures.