Choosing Steel Thickness for a bracket

In summary: The yield strength of the steel plate I intend to use is 36,000psi. As I understand, 0.6 represents the ratio of maximum bending stress to yield stress for the material, so I'm guessing it is the same for maximum tensile stress? Which makes the maximum allowable stress 21600psi.So if we solve for H,H = 4410 / (0.485 * 21600) = 0.421", so if I get a steel plate that is 0.5" thick to cut my brackets out from I should be fine.In summary, a 1/2" bracket is a pretty hefty member that will be welded onto a robotic arm. The arm is designed to regularly hold
roboemperor
Just need someone to double check my work.

So the bracket is going to be cut out from a steel plate in a weird, rounded out triangular shape, and then a hole will be drilled through it. For simplicity though, let's just say the bracket is a ring with one half of it welded onto a wall. OD of the ring is 1.25", ID is 0.765", which results in a thickness of 0.2425".

The equation for tensile stress is σ = Fn / A.

Since the bracket is going to be pushed and pulled, the cross sectional area is:
(0.2425" * H) * 2, where H is the height of the ring when it is placed on the table, which is the thickness of the steel plate I need to cut the brackets out from. Equation simplifies to 0.485H.

The worst case scenario this bracket has to endure is 2 metric tons, which translates to 4410lbs

The yield strength of the steel plate I intend to use is 36,000psi. As I understand, 0.6 represents the ratio of maximum bending stress to yield stress for the material, so I'm guessing it is the same for maximum tensile stress? Which makes the maximum allowable stress 21600psi.

So if we solve for H,
H = 4410 / (0.485 * 21600) = 0.421", so if I get a steel plate that is 0.5" thick to cut my brackets out from I should be fine.

Engineering news on Phys.org
roboemperor said:
Just need someone to double check my work.

So the bracket is going to be cut out from a steel plate in a weird, rounded out triangular shape, and then a hole will be drilled through it. For simplicity though, let's just say the bracket is a ring with one half of it welded onto a wall. OD of the ring is 1.25", ID is 0.765", which results in a thickness of 0.2425".

The equation for tensile stress is σ = Fn / A.

Since the bracket is going to be pushed and pulled, the cross sectional area is:
(0.2425" * H) * 2, where H is the height of the ring when it is placed on the table, which is the thickness of the steel plate I need to cut the brackets out from. Equation simplifies to 0.485H.

The worst case scenario this bracket has to endure is 2 metric tons, which translates to 4410lbs

The yield strength of the steel plate I intend to use is 36,000psi. As I understand, 0.6 represents the ratio of maximum bending stress to yield stress for the material, so I'm guessing it is the same for maximum tensile stress? Which makes the maximum allowable stress 21600psi.

So if we solve for H,
H = 4410 / (0.485 * 21600) = 0.421", so if I get a steel plate that is 0.5" thick to cut my brackets out from I should be fine.
A 1/2" bracket is a pretty hefty member.

It's not clear what this bracket is supposed to support. Why don't you provide some extra details?

The device is a large complex robotic arm controlled by multiple hydraulic cylinders, which in turn is controlled by a FPGA board. The arm is designed to regularly hold and move 2 metric tons of weight.

These brackets will be welded directly onto the arm and the hydraulic cylinders will regularly push/pull the brackets to change the arm's orientation.

I chose size 4" schedule 80 pipes for the arm's skeleton.

roboemperor said:
The device is a large complex robotic arm controlled by multiple hydraulic cylinders, which in turn is controlled by a FPGA board. The arm is designed to regularly hold and move 2 metric tons of weight.

These brackets will be welded directly onto the arm and the hydraulic cylinders will regularly push/pull the brackets to change the arm's orientation.

I chose size 4" schedule 80 pipes for the arm's skeleton.
The 2 tonnes is at the arm end I presume.
The hydraulic cylinder is attached to the arm somewhere between both ends of the arm.
You need to find out what force the hydraulic cylinder will be acting with at its attachment points.

I phrased my comment wrong. My bad.

The bottleneck here is the cylinder. I got the strongest one available (3000 operating psi) for its size which equates to about 2.4/1.8 metric tons of push/pull. I don't know how much weight the arm can lift, but it's not too important right now. I'm trying to make the arm utilize the full power of what these cylinders can offer.

1. How do I determine the appropriate steel thickness for my bracket?

The appropriate steel thickness for a bracket depends on the load and stress it will be subjected to. It is important to calculate the expected load and stress using engineering principles and select a steel thickness that can withstand these forces.

2. Is thicker steel always better for a bracket?

Thicker steel may not always be better for a bracket. It is important to consider the intended use and weight restrictions of the bracket. Using thicker steel may add unnecessary weight and cost to the bracket.

3. Are there any industry standards for steel thickness in brackets?

Yes, there are industry standards for steel thickness in brackets. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) provides guidelines for selecting appropriate steel thickness based on the type of bracket and its intended use.

4. How does the shape and size of the bracket affect the steel thickness?

The shape and size of the bracket can affect the required steel thickness. Larger and more complex brackets may require thicker steel to withstand the forces applied to them. Additionally, the shape of the bracket can also impact the distribution of stress and may require a thicker steel in certain areas.

5. Are there any alternative materials to steel for brackets?

Yes, there are alternative materials to steel for brackets such as aluminum, titanium, and composites. These materials may have different properties and may be better suited for certain applications. However, steel is often preferred for its strength and cost-effectiveness in many bracket designs.