How to add confg file to allow UHD drive set priority?

In summary, the user is trying to add a line to the configuration file "/etc/security/limits.conf" in order to allow UHD drive to set priority. They are following instructions from a link but are unable to stop a warning message. They are seeking help from others.
Nate Duong
I have Ettus B210 and trying to add 1 line configuration file "/etc/security/limits.conf" which will allow UHD drive to set priority.

So , I typed this command to edit file: gksudo gedit /etc/security/limits.conf and add:

#@student hard nproc 20
#@faculty soft nproc 20
#@faculty hard nproc 50
#ftp hard nproc 0
#ftp - chroot /ftp
#@student - maxlogins 4
@GROUP - rtprio 99
# End of file

I want to stop this warning :

UHD Warning:
Unable to set the thread priority. Performance may be negatively affected.
Please see the general application notes in the manual for instructions.
EnvironmentError: OSError: error in pthread_setschedparam

following this instruction from this link: https://files.ettus.com/manual/page_general.html but I can not stop that message? So I need help from you.

If anyone knows, please help me out.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org

What is a config file?

A config file, short for configuration file, is a file that contains settings and parameters for a specific program or device. It allows for customization and optimization of the program or device's behavior.

How do I add a config file for an UHD drive?

To add a config file for an UHD drive, you will need to create a text file with the extension ".conf" and save it in the appropriate directory for your operating system. You can then edit the file with the necessary settings to allow UHD drive to set priority.

What are the benefits of adding a config file for an UHD drive?

By adding a config file for an UHD drive, you can set priority for the drive, which means it will have a higher ranking when accessing data and will improve overall performance. This can also prevent conflicts with other drives and optimize the usage of your UHD drive.

What settings should I include in the config file for my UHD drive?

The settings you include in the config file will depend on your specific needs and system configuration. However, some common settings to include for an UHD drive may be buffer size, read/write speed, and priority level. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the best settings for your UHD drive.

Can I edit the config file for my UHD drive after it has been added?

Yes, you can edit the config file for your UHD drive at any time. Keep in mind that any changes made to the config file may affect the performance of your UHD drive, so it is recommended to make changes cautiously and to backup the original file before making any edits.

Back