How to build a radio relay station?

In summary, you would need to use high-gain Yagi antennas at both ends of the 100 mile path, and you would need line-of-sight connection (like between a couple of hills that can see each other)...
David lopez
if i decide to build two relay stations 100 miles apart, what frequency or frequencies should i use to send a radio signal across 100 miles from 1 relay
station to the other relay station.

Engineering news on Phys.org
David lopez said:
if i decide to build two relay stations 100 miles apart, what frequency or frequencies should i use to send a radio signal across 100 miles from 1 relay
station to the other relay station.
It depends. Is it for commercial use, or just for a hobby? If it's not for commercial use, you can use HAM radio (probably the 3 meter band), assuming that you have a HAM radio license. You would likely use high-gain Yagi antennas at both ends of the link. See my footer for more information about getting your HAM radio license. :smile:

Otherwise, you could try to use the ISM band (microwave oven band around 2.4GHz), which does not require a license for certain power levels. You would need to use high-gain Yagi antennas at both ends of the 100 mile path, and you would need line-of-sight connection (like between a couple of hills that can see each other)...

http://cdn.everythingrf.com/live/yagi_antenna_1.jpg

1575135051556.png

preferably the signal can travel through a town. the signal can travel from 1 relay station through a town to the other relay station.

David lopez said:
preferably the signal can travel through a town. the signal can travel from 1 relay station through a town to the other relay station.
What does it mean for the signal to travel through a town and why would you want to do that? Is this for a real project? What, exactly, are you trying to do?

russ_watters said:
What, exactly, are you trying to do?
I think he's trying to tempt PF into yet another futile discussion about a project that is just a thought exercise. (But not thought out at all.)
Sorry if I appear grumpy but the OP has posted a string of questions in the same vein. These things never actually seem to get anywhere. When are we going to be honoured with reports of a working system?

Likes Averagesupernova and davenn
will the buildings in the town block the radio signal?

David lopez said:
Not for 100 miles through a town. Buildings contain metal, which reflects and diffracts EM waves. Those redirections of the EM waves cause multipath interference at receivers, which significantly reduce performance and path/channel distance. Even when the obstructions are just trees and foliage, you will still get a lot of attenuation of the signal due to partial absorption (depending on the frequency of the EM being used).

Think about what existing 100 mile radio links look like. The antenna towers are on high hills, so they have line of sight to other towers on other hills. The highly directional antennas are aimed very precisely at their twin antenna on the other tower that they are linked to.

https://previews.123rf.com/images/a...tion-antennas-on-a-mountaintop-in-ecuador.jpg

1575154282762.png

And think about cell phone towers, which do communicate "in towns". Note how closely they are usually spaced together (less than a mile), and how tall they are to try to get good coverage despite foliage attenuation and building multipath issues...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...ower_Locations_Near_Me_large.png?v=1523220152

1575154636393.png

Likes davenn and russ_watters
so if i want to send a radio signal over a distance of 100 miles with the fewest number of relay stations for hobby use, how do i do that? is there any particular frequency i should use? is there any antenna design i should use?
this must be something a hobbyist can build at home.

preferably the buildings in any town don't block the signal.

what if i shorten the distance to 40 miles? can you build something at home that will send a radio signal over a
distance of 40 miles, with the fewest number of relay stations?

David lopez said:
what if i shorten the distance to 40 miles? can you build something at home that will send a radio signal over a
distance of 40 miles, with the fewest number of relay stations?
Get your HAM radio license, and you can do all that kind of stuff. Plus you can use your local HAM club as a learning resource. It's inexpensive and pretty easy to get your license. PM me if you need more information about how to do it.

http://www.k4amg.org/uploads/1/1/4/6/114601157/20190809-102014_orig.jpg

1575158377770.png

Likes MalcolmB, davenn and russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
I think he's trying to tempt PF into yet another futile discussion about a project that is just a thought exercise. (But not thought out at all.)
Sorry if I appear grumpy but the OP has posted a string of questions in the same vein. These things never actually seem to get anywhere. When are we going to be honoured with reports of a working system?
Ahh, thanks, I hadn't seen the other threads (or maybe I did but didn't notice a pattern...). In that case we should be giving the OP a shorter leash on asking uselessly vague questions...

Likes Averagesupernova and berkeman
David lopez said:
so if i want to send a radio signal over a distance of 100 miles with the fewest number of relay stations for hobby use, how do i do that? is there any particular frequency i should use? is there any antenna design i should use?
this must be something a hobbyist can build at home.
For distances over 100 miles I'd recommend shortwave band, preferably around 10 Mhz. Get decent transceivers (they are not so cheap). For aerials, the simplest design would be 6-8 m long 1/4 wave vertical wire. Insulated litz cable or just a coax of sufficient length would do. Good luck

Likes davenn
zoki85 said:
For distances over 100 miles I'd recommend shortwave band, preferably around 10 Mhz. Get decent transceivers (they are not so cheap). For aerials, the simplest design would be 6-8 m long 1/4 wave vertical wire. Insulated litz cable or just a coax of sufficient length would do. Good luck
AND an amateur radio license as has been said several times earlier

Likes MalcolmB and zoki85
First of all: you do understand that radio communication is heavily regulated, and you need to stick to these regulations? You don't choose any frequency you can think off, you stick to frequencies and powers allowed for amateur communication. Otherwise you risk a rather unpleasant visit from the authorities.

Likes davenn and berkeman
Borek said:
Otherwise you risk a rather unpleasant visit from the authorities.
And years in the slammer. :nb)

I think it be only fair for OP to write down what he knows, so far, about this topic. He talks of what he has read but just what is that (performance figures and costs, for instance)? There is a vast amount of information about various styles of communications which is available to him so why are we all running round, pre-digesting and pre-selecting it all for him?
This thread is just a conversation between other PF members with no useful input from the OP. I'd prefer to be conversing with people who have all actually done some homework. (@David lopez !)

Likes berkeman
Borek said:
You don't choose any frequency you can think off, you stick to frequencies and powers allowed for amateur communication. Otherwise you risk a rather unpleasant visit from the authorities.
Regulations and laws differ from country to country , from place to place. One should be careful and make sure not to break laws by illegal broadcasting. Speaking of risks I can tell you that I think it is more likely and unpleasant, if you live in (sub)urban area like I do, to experience a visit from angry neighbours...

sophiecentaur said:
I think it be only fair for OP to write down what he knows, so far, about this topic.

Too late. He's already moved on to another thread.

• Sad
Likes berkeman

1. How do I determine the location for a radio relay station?

The location for a radio relay station should be chosen based on factors such as terrain, line of sight, and availability of power and internet connectivity. It is important to conduct a site survey to determine the best location for optimal signal strength and coverage.

2. What equipment is needed to build a radio relay station?

The basic equipment needed to build a radio relay station includes antennas, transmitters, receivers, amplifiers, and power sources. In addition, you may also need other equipment such as cables, connectors, and lightning protection devices.

3. How do I ensure the security of my radio relay station?

To ensure the security of your radio relay station, you can implement measures such as physical barriers, surveillance cameras, and alarm systems. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the equipment to prevent any unauthorized access or tampering.

4. What are the different types of radio relay stations?

There are two main types of radio relay stations: analog and digital. Analog stations use analog signals to transmit information, while digital stations use digital signals. Within these two categories, there are also different types such as microwave, satellite, and cellular relay stations.

5. What are the regulations and licenses required to build a radio relay station?

The regulations and licenses required to build a radio relay station vary depending on the country and region. In general, you will need to obtain a license from the government agency responsible for regulating communication and broadcasting. It is important to research and comply with all necessary regulations and licenses before building a radio relay station.