How to build logic to make context free grammar?

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter shivajikobardan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build Logic
In summary, the conversation is about a solution that the speaker already has for a problem involving rules and terminals. They also mention having another solution but struggling to understand the logic behind it. The speaker believes that there is no mechanical process for deriving the solution and that it requires practice and intuition. They express confusion while practicing but are clear about the current solution.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
Context free grammar
Relevant Equations
None
1636738772910.png

I already have the solution.

I also have another solution for this-:

S->AB

A->aA/a

B->ab/aBb

But my issue is I am memorizing them, I am not understanding how this came up. Please explain the logic building behind this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think there is any "logic" to deriving a specific string of terminals from the "rules". I am sure there are exhaustive methods that can be performed by a machine. For us, it is kind of a puzzle.

I mean just some initution to understand why we came to this solution I mean would be helpful. I know there is no mechanical process for this. It is all practice. But my problem is I am confused while practicing. (I am clear about this tho so don't waste time on this now).

1. What is context-free grammar?

Context-free grammar is a formal model used to describe the syntax of a language. It consists of a set of production rules that define how symbols can be combined to form valid sentences in the language.

2. How do I build logic for a context-free grammar?

To build logic for a context-free grammar, you will need to define a set of non-terminal symbols, terminal symbols, and production rules. These rules should follow the format of "non-terminal symbol -> combination of terminal and non-terminal symbols". Additionally, you will need to define a start symbol to indicate the beginning of a sentence.

3. What is the purpose of a start symbol in context-free grammar?

The start symbol is used to indicate the beginning of a sentence in a context-free grammar. It is typically the first symbol in a production rule and is used to generate all possible sentences in the language.

4. How do I ensure that my context-free grammar is unambiguous?

To ensure that your context-free grammar is unambiguous, you will need to make sure that each production rule has only one possible interpretation. This can be achieved by carefully defining the rules and avoiding ambiguity in the use of symbols.

5. Can context-free grammar be used for natural language processing?

Yes, context-free grammar can be used for natural language processing. However, it is often combined with other techniques, such as semantic analysis, to handle the complexities of natural language. Additionally, a large and comprehensive grammar is needed to accurately represent the syntax of a natural language.