How to calculate Bessel function of order zero?

In summary, the individual is attempting to plot a figure from a journal article using equations provided in an inserted image. Despite writing a script, they are not getting the expected plot and believe there may be an error in the values of ##I_{0}## and ##I_{1}##. They ask for assistance in identifying and correcting the error. After reviewing the code, it is determined that there was a missing dot in line 6, which has been fixed.
positroncascade
TL;DR Summary
I try to plot a figure from an article. The analytical solution is given by Bessel function of order zero. I wrote my MATLAB script but it doesn't give results as expected. I need help on evaluating Bessel function of order zero.
Hello everyone.

I try to plot a figure from a journal article. I gave the equations in the inserted image. I wrote the script given below for that. I expect to obtain a plot like the one given on the left but I end up with something totally different. So, the values of ##I_{0}## and ##I_{1}## are probably wrong. How can I evaluate them correctly? Can you help me to spot my error?

Matlab:
phi = linspace(0.001, 1000, 1000000);
v = 2;
lRp = sqrt((1./phi).*((v+1)^2-1));
I1 = besseli(1,lRp);
I0 = besseli(0,lRp);
h = 1 - 2./lRp*(I1/I0);
plot(phi,h)
set(gca, 'XScale', 'log')

Thank you so much!

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are missing dots in line 6. Fixed:
Matlab:
phi = linspace(0.001, 1000, 1000000);
v = 2;
lRp = sqrt((1./phi).*((v+1)^2-1));
I1 = besseli(1,lRp);
I0 = besseli(0,lRp);
h = 1 - 2./lRp.*(I1./I0);
plot(phi,h)
set(gca, 'XScale', 'log')

Likes DrClaude and positroncascade

1. What is a Bessel function of order zero?

A Bessel function of order zero is a special mathematical function that is used to describe certain physical phenomena, such as heat flow and sound vibrations. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel.

2. How is the Bessel function of order zero calculated?

The Bessel function of order zero can be calculated using various methods, such as using a series expansion or using special mathematical functions like the gamma function. It can also be calculated using specialized software or programming languages like MATLAB or Python.

3. What is the significance of the Bessel function of order zero?

The Bessel function of order zero has many practical applications in physics and engineering, particularly in describing wave phenomena. It is also a fundamental solution to many differential equations, making it an important tool in mathematical analysis.

4. Can the Bessel function of order zero be negative?

Yes, the Bessel function of order zero can have both positive and negative values, depending on the input parameters. It is a complex-valued function that can take on a range of values.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Bessel function of order zero?

Yes, the Bessel function of order zero can be used to model various physical phenomena, such as heat conduction in a circular rod, sound waves in a circular membrane, and the propagation of light through an optical fiber. It is also used in signal processing and image enhancement techniques.