How to calculate differential work done by a force in circular motion?

In summary, the formula for calculating the differential work done by a force in circular motion is W = F * ds * cosθ. The direction of the work done is determined by the angle between the force and displacement, with positive work occurring when the angle is less than 90 degrees and negative work occurring when the angle is greater than 90 degrees. The differential work can be negative if the force is acting in the opposite direction of the displacement. The differential work is equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is the only form of energy in circular motion. The magnitude of the work can be greater than the force if the angle between the force and displacement is greater than 90 degrees.
zenterix
Homework Statement
When dealing with differential vectors, I still struggle sometimes.

I'd like to calculate the differential of work done by a force acting on a particle mass undergoing circular motion
Relevant Equations
Let ##\vec{r}## be the vector from the center of the circular motion to the particle.

I believe I can write the equation below, but I am not sure if it is an equality or an approximation.

$$d\vec{r}=\vec{r} \times d\vec{\theta}$$

$$dW=\vec{F} \cdot d\vec{r}$$
$$=\vec{F} \cdot (\vec{r} \times d\vec{\theta})$$

$$=(\vec{F} \times \vec{r})\cdot d\vec{\theta}$$

$$=-(\vec{r} \times \vec{F})\cdot d\vec{\theta}$$

$$\implies dW=-\vec{\tau} \cdot d\vec{\theta}$$
My question is, is this correct, and if so, why the minus sign?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only mistake is in the first line, which should be ##d\boldsymbol{r} = d\boldsymbol{\theta} \times \boldsymbol{r}##. The vector ##d\boldsymbol{\theta} = \hat{\boldsymbol{n}}d\theta## points along the rotation axis, and ##\theta## increases in the direction given by the right hand rule.

Likes zenterix and TSny

1. How do you calculate the differential work done by a force in circular motion?

The differential work done by a force in circular motion can be calculated using the formula: dW = F * ds * cosθ, where dW is the differential work, F is the force, ds is the displacement, and θ is the angle between the force and the displacement.

2. What is the difference between work and differential work in circular motion?

Work is the product of force and displacement, while differential work is the infinitesimal amount of work done by a force over a small displacement. In circular motion, differential work takes into account the changing direction of the force and the corresponding change in displacement.

3. How does the angle between the force and displacement affect the differential work in circular motion?

The angle between the force and displacement affects the differential work by changing the component of the force that is parallel to the displacement. The greater the angle, the smaller the component of the force in the direction of the displacement, resulting in a smaller differential work.

4. Can the differential work be negative in circular motion?

Yes, the differential work can be negative in circular motion. This occurs when the angle between the force and displacement is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative cosine value. This indicates that the force is working against the displacement, and the work done is negative.

5. How is the differential work related to the total work done in circular motion?

The total work done in circular motion is the sum of all the differential work done over the entire displacement. It can be calculated by integrating the differential work formula over the entire displacement. In other words, the differential work done is the infinitesimal contribution to the total work done in circular motion.