How to calculate dissipated heat?

• Thread starter swuster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, The IC LM2678-5 is rated at ~87% efficiency and can step down from up to 20V to 5V with a maximum current of 3A. The power dissipation for the most extreme case would be 5+ watts, but with the efficiency, it would only be 2.24 watts. The datasheet indicates thermal resistance values for different mounting options, and it is recommended to use a heatsink for optimal performance. The suggested heatsink options are aluminum with small fins or mounting on the side of a diecast box. Other factors to consider are the airflow and ambient temperature range.
swuster
I'm trying to figure out how big of heatsink I'm going to need for my switching regulator, or if it needs one at all. The IC is LM2678-5 which is rated at ~87% efficiency for the maximum load I might have to drive with it. It's stepping down from up to 20V down to 5V (battery is rated at ~18) and the maximum current that I might have draw from it is 3A though that's highly unlikely. In the case that this happens though, how do I figure out the specs of any heatsink I might have to purchase?

Is the power dissipated just 13% * voltage drop * current? That would be a whopping 5+ watts for the most extreme case. The datasheet indicates the following in terms of thermal resistance:

T Package, Junction to Ambient 65 C/W(Note 5)
T Package, Junction to Ambient 45 C/W (Note 6)
T Package, Junction to Case 2 C/W

Note 5: Junction to ambient thermal resistance (no external heat sink) for the 7 lead TO-220 package mounted vertically, with ½ inch leads in a socket, or on a PC board with minimum copper area.

Note 6: Junction to ambient thermal resistance (no external heat sink) for the 7 lead TO-220 package mounted vertically, with ½ inch leads soldered to a PC board containing approximately 4 square inches of (1 oz.) copper area surrounding the leads.

Would appreciate any help making sense of this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
5 watts is not a large power loss for a TO-220 package. Do you have room for an external N-channel transistor?
Bob S

Yes, space is not really an issue at this point.

What is the airflow like? What is your rated ambient temperature range (Commercial to 70C or Industrial to 85C)? How much heat is generated in your enclosure by the current you are supplying at 5V? Is it all inside your enclosure, or do you supply power to some external load?

I'd be inclined to use a moderate heat sink on it, and make sure that you get reasonable ambient airflow past it (like via convection, with any other hot stuff above the regulator heat sink). Have you looked at heat sink selector guides for their thermal resistance (both with and without grease)?

It's stepping down from up to 20V down to 5V (battery is rated at ~18) and the maximum current that I might have draw from it is 3A though that's highly unlikely. In the case that this happens though, how do I figure out the specs of any heatsink I might have to purchase?

Is the power dissipated just 13% * voltage drop * current? That would be a whopping 5+ watts for the most extreme case. The datasheet indicates the following in terms of thermal resistance:

The device is 87% efficient, so the power input for 15 watts out must be 15 * 100/87 or 17.24 watts. So the loss would be 2.24 watts.
Even 5 watts wasn't too bad, but this is even better.

However, note 5 indicates that the chip would get a very hot junction without a heatsink even with 2.24 watts dissipation. Note 6 suggests 4 sq inches of PCB copper would be OK.
A heatsink of aluminum with small fins and about 2 sq inches or mounting it on the side of a diecast box would be suitable.

1. How do I calculate dissipated heat?

To calculate dissipated heat, you will need to know the power (in watts) and time (in seconds) of the device or system. Then, use the formula Q = Pt, where Q is the dissipated heat in joules, P is the power in watts, and t is the time in seconds.

2. What is the difference between dissipated heat and heat transfer?

Dissipated heat is the heat that is lost or dissipated by a system, while heat transfer is the movement of heat from one location to another. Dissipated heat is a form of heat transfer, but it specifically refers to the heat that is lost from a system or device.

3. How does thermal conductivity affect dissipated heat?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of how well a material can transfer heat. The higher the thermal conductivity, the more easily heat can be dissipated from a system. Therefore, materials with higher thermal conductivity will dissipate heat more quickly than those with lower thermal conductivity.

4. Can dissipated heat be recovered?

In most cases, dissipated heat cannot be recovered. This is because the heat is lost to the surrounding environment and cannot be easily captured or reused. However, there are some methods and technologies that can recover a portion of dissipated heat, such as heat exchangers or regenerative braking systems.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to dissipated heat?

Yes, dissipated heat can pose safety concerns if it is not properly managed. High levels of dissipated heat can lead to overheating, which can damage equipment or cause fires. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor dissipated heat in systems to ensure safe operation and prevent potential hazards.