How to calculate elliptic integrals in MATHCAD?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Mathcad to calculate elliptic integrals (K & E) but mentions that there is not a specific function for this in Mathcad. The speaker suggests using the general integration function or defining them as user functions. They also mention seeking help from a user-driven community for more specific Mathcad-related assistance.
sgsawant
Hi,

I wanted to calculate elliptic integrals (K & E) for a given function in Mathcad. I was not able to find the appropriate function. I am using Mathcad 15.

Regards,

-sgsawant

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi. I just joined, so tag me with n00b.

Full disclosure: I work at PTC, and have contacted one of our programmers to help me with a response here.

Although Mathcad does not have a dedicated function for this, it should be (generally) straight forward to calculate them (or define them as user functions) using the general integration function in Mathcad. One can view the elliptic integration help section in MATLAB to get some general formulae (see attached image).

I hope this helps. For more specific Mathcad-related help (not just on physics, but all areas Mathcad), head over to http://bit.ly/Mathcad-PlanetPTC for a user-driven community.

Attachments

• elliptical_integration.png
    elliptical_integration.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,033
Last edited:
Thanks!

1. How do I input an elliptic integral in MATHCAD?

In MATHCAD, elliptic integrals can be entered using the "Elliptic" function. This function takes two arguments: the elliptic modulus (k) and the amplitude angle (theta). For example, the elliptic integral of the first kind can be entered as "Elliptic(k, theta)."

2. What is the difference between the three types of elliptic integrals?

There are three types of elliptic integrals: the first kind, the second kind, and the third kind. The first kind is used for calculating the arc length of an ellipse, the second kind is used for calculating the area of an ellipse, and the third kind is used for calculating the period of a pendulum with an elliptic arc. Each type has a different formula and can be calculated using the "Elliptic" function in MATHCAD.

3. How do I evaluate an elliptic integral in MATHCAD?

To evaluate an elliptic integral in MATHCAD, you need to provide numerical values for the elliptic modulus (k) and the amplitude angle (theta). You can do this by either entering the values directly into the "Elliptic" function or by defining variables for the values and then using those variables in the function. MATHCAD will automatically calculate the result of the elliptic integral using the provided values.

4. Can MATHCAD calculate incomplete elliptic integrals?

Yes, MATHCAD has the ability to calculate incomplete elliptic integrals using the "Elliptic" function. Incomplete elliptic integrals have an additional argument called the parameter (n), which represents the starting point of the integration. The function can be entered as "Elliptic(k, theta, n) to calculate incomplete elliptic integrals.

5. Are there any special considerations when using MATHCAD to calculate elliptic integrals?

Yes, when using MATHCAD to calculate elliptic integrals, it is important to pay attention to the units being used. MATHCAD automatically assumes that the input values for the elliptic modulus and amplitude angle are in radians. If your values are in degrees, you will need to convert them to radians first or use the "DEG" function within the "Elliptic" function to specify that your values are in degrees.