How to Calculate Fluid Height in a U-Tube Using Bernoulli's Equation

In summary, at the given velocity and cross section area, the height of mercury in the right side of the U tube is 5.82 cm.
sarahmf

Homework Statement

The following tube has dimensions d1=1.13 cm and d2=3.60 mm. Air (density = 1.28 kg/m3) flows through the tube at a rate of 1131.0 cm3/s. Assume that air is an ideal fluid. What is the height h of mercury (density = 13600.0 kg/m3) in the right side of the U tube?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's equation:
P1+.5rho*v1^2 + rho*g*h1=P2+.5rho*v2^2 + rho*g*h2

A1V1=A2V2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure where to start here. I wanted to use Bernoulli's equation but I don't have the velocity or pressure. Also, I'm not sure how to convert flow rate to velocity. Any help would be appreciated, it's due in about 24 hours :)

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, first try to determine an equation for volumetric flow rate (given) as a function of flow cross section area (find from given diameter) and fluid velocity.

Next, try to apply Bernoulli's equation you listed to find the difference in static pressure:
P1 - P2.

Finally, use an equation that relates fluid static pressure to fluid column height. This will be the height or "deflection" of the U-tube manometer.

Alright so

Flow=A*V
V1=Flow/A1 =1131.0/(pi*(1.13/2)^2)
V1=1126 cm/s
V2=Flow/A2=1131.0/(pi*(0.36/2)^2)
V2=34907 cm/s

P1-P2=.5rho*v2^2 + rho*g*h2 - .5rho*v1^2 - rho*g*h1
P1-P2=.5*1.28 kg/m^3*1m^3/1000000 cm^3 (is my conversion right) * 34907^2 + 1.28/1000000*9.8*h2 - .5*1.28/1000000*1126^2 - 1.28/1000000*9.8*h1

and is the equation i have to use
P2=P1+rho*g*h ?

I'm not sure if this is right, feedback would be appreciated :)

Yes, you are on the right track. You can either solve for h2 - h1 in your Bernoulli equation. Or look at it from the point of view of manometer measurement: figure out P2 - P1 due to velocity changes only and then apply your P1 - P1 = rho*g*h to find h.

Alright so if I solve for P2-P1=rho*g*h I get 0.0582 m=5.82 cm, which is recognized as right..thank you so much :)

Related to How to Calculate Fluid Height in a U-Tube Using Bernoulli's Equation

1. What is a U-tube?

A U-tube is a simple device used to measure the difference in fluid height between two connected columns. It consists of a glass or plastic tube bent into the shape of a "U" and filled with a fluid, usually water or mercury.

2. How does a U-tube measure fluid height?

A U-tube works by utilizing the principle of communicating vessels, which states that the fluid level in two connected vessels will be equal. When the fluid levels in the two columns of the U-tube are different, the difference in height can be measured and used to determine other variables, such as pressure or volume.

3. What factors affect the fluid height in a U-tube?

The fluid height in a U-tube is affected by the density of the fluid, the surface tension of the fluid, and the diameter of the tube. It is also affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure changes.

4. How is a U-tube used in experiments?

A U-tube is commonly used in science experiments to demonstrate principles of fluid dynamics or to measure pressure differentials. It can also be used in medical tests, such as measuring blood pressure.

5. What are the limitations of a U-tube in measuring fluid height?

A U-tube is limited in its ability to measure small differences in fluid height, as the meniscus of the fluid can be difficult to accurately read. It also cannot be used to measure the height of non-liquid substances, such as gases or solids.