How to calculate force given Newtons, degrees, and friction

In summary, the problem involves a 400N trunk on a 20 degree inclined plane with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.56. The goal is to determine the force needed to make the trunk slide down the plane at a constant velocity. The forces acting on the trunk include gravity (downward), normal force (perpendicular to the plane), and friction (opposite direction of movement). To solve the problem, the forces must be resolved into vertical and horizontal components.
Josef

Homework Statement

A 400N trunk is on a 20 degree inclined plane and has a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.56. What force must be exerted on the trunk to make it slide down the plane at a constant velocity?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a free body diagram of the situation but am not able to derive an equation to calculate the force needed. Given an angle, I assume I will be using a trigonometric function.

Physics news on Phys.org
Josef said:
I have drawn a free body diagram
So what forces are there on the trunk and in what directions do they act?

The force of gravity acts upon it (downward direction), The normal force (parallel to the surface), and The force of friction in the opposite direction of the movement of the trunk.

Josef said:
The normal force (parallel to the surface)
Not parallel. It is called the normal force for a reason.
There is also the driving force to be found.

Next, you need to resolve all the forces into components. You can either choose the component directions to be vertical and horizontal or normal to the plane and parallel to the plane. Your choice.

1. What is the formula for calculating force with Newtons, degrees, and friction?

The formula for calculating force using Newtons, degrees, and friction is F = µN cosθ, where F is the force, µ is the coefficient of friction, N is the normal force, and θ is the angle of friction in degrees.

2. How do I determine the normal force in a force calculation?

The normal force can be determined by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This is because the normal force is equal to the force exerted on an object by a surface to support its weight.

3. Is the coefficient of friction the same for all surfaces?

No, the coefficient of friction varies for different surfaces and materials. It depends on factors such as texture, roughness, and lubrication of the surface in contact with the object.

4. Can friction affect the direction of the force?

Yes, friction can affect the direction of the force. The direction of the force of friction is always opposite to the direction of the applied force, which means that it will act in the opposite direction as the object moves.

5. How is force measured in the metric system?

In the metric system, force is measured in Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.