Question(s) Regarding Magnitude of Force (Window Washer Problem)

mazia
Homework Statement
A window washer pushes his scrub brush up a vertical window at constant speed as shown in the figure (Figure 1). The head of the brush (when wet) weighs 12.0 N and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the bristles and the window surface is 0.100.

a) Calculate the magnitude of the force exerted on the head of the brush by the handle of the brush; the direction of the force is as shown in the figure.

b) Calculate the magnitude of the normal force exerted on the brush by the window.
Relevant Equations
f_k=mu_k*Fn
Fn=mg*cos(theta)
So, ignore the -0.72, I was just trying to see if I had a sign error (I then remembered magnitude is absolute value) but basically:

Since the weight is 12.0N, theta is 53.1, and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.100, I just plugged those values into the equations above:
Fn=(12.0N)*cos(53.1) = 7.21N (which was wrong as well, per question B), and f_k=(0.100)*(7.21).

Both were incorrect but I'm wondering how. It seems pretty cut-and-dry; use the given values, plug them into the equations, and boom. I'm not sure what I'm missing or doing wrong. My calculator is in degrees too. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• image_2023-09-25_143449187.png
    image_2023-09-25_143449187.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 41
Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by producing a free body diagram of the broom head. "I just plugged in some values to some formulas" is never a good strategy for understanding.

Likes Tomy World and Steve4Physics
A magnitude is always positive.

And in addition to what @erobz said...

mazia said:
Relevant Equations: f_k=mu_k*Fn
Fn=mg*cos(theta)
The equation 'Fn=mg*cos(theta)' applies to a mass resting on an inclined plane. That's not the setup here. Use your free body diagram to analyse the horizontal and vertical forces and then construct your own equations.

Likes erobz

1. What is the magnitude of force in the window washer problem?

The magnitude of force in the window washer problem is the amount of force applied to the window by the washer. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How is the magnitude of force related to the weight of the window washer?

The magnitude of force is directly related to the weight of the window washer. The heavier the window washer, the greater the magnitude of force needed to lift and move them.

3. What factors can affect the magnitude of force in the window washer problem?

There are several factors that can affect the magnitude of force in the window washer problem. These include the weight of the window washer, the angle at which they are leaning against the window, and the coefficient of friction between the washer and the window.

4. How can the magnitude of force be calculated in the window washer problem?

The magnitude of force can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass multiplied by acceleration (F=ma). In the window washer problem, the force is equal to the weight of the washer multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the magnitude of force change as the angle of the window washer changes?

The magnitude of force changes as the angle of the window washer changes. As the angle increases, the force required to keep the washer in place also increases. This is because the component of the weight of the washer acting perpendicular to the window increases, requiring a greater magnitude of force to counteract it.