Understanding pipe ''head loss''

• Thread starter axe34
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss Pipe
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank with a head loss of 2.88 m due to friction. The velocity of water at the exit is found using Bernoulli's equations and with respect to a streamline from the top of the reservoir. The concept of head loss is also clarified, with it being defined as the difference in head between two points and not a characteristic of a single point. The equation for head loss is given as Hf = hl + hf = kf * (v^2/2g) + (lambda * L/D) * (v^2/2g). It is also mentioned that
axe34

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand a problem that I made for myself (although this is based on other problems I've encountered).

We have a tank (reservoir) 2.9534 m in height and a head loss of 2.88 m from beginning to end; the loss is due to friction etc. There is discharge to atmosphere; see diagram 1 below

The velocity of water at the exit is found via bernoulli's equations:
V1^2/2g + Z1 + p1/rho.g - losses = V2^2/2g + Z2 + p2/rho.g

With respect to a streamline from the top of the reservoir to the exit of the pipe, I get V2 as 1.2 m/s (with V1 = 0, Z1 = 2.9534, losses = 2.88, Z2 = 0 and p1 and p2 = atmospheric pressure).

With respect to diagram 2, I always thought that head loss at any point was 2.9534 - H. Say I move this piezometer to the right hand side with H = 2.88 m then I get the same velocity as before using bernoulli equations. Why? This isn't the definition of head loss?
upload_2017-1-3_11-49-43.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

As above

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi axe,
since you didn't get a reply from others, I am taking this up again; see if we can make some progress.

This thread is linked to thread https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rigid-column-fluid-mechanics.898928
But I want to deal with this understanding part separately and treat it as a steady-state situation. Because:

I think part of our problem in understanding all this comes from the mixup between a steady-state treatment and the dynamic treatment .
Steady state is already pretty involved; generally dynamics are considered in a later stage and for special circumstances (surge, water hammer, process control and such). And even then we often find the dynamic situation is approached as a sequence of steady states.

Let's start witrh the simplest possible mechanical energy balance ##E_{\rm pot} + E_{\rm kin} = {\rm Constant}\ \Rightarrow\ {dE\over dt} = 0## which often appears as a simplified form of the Bernoulli equation. However, there are considerable losses due to friction etc.

From the top of the reservoir to the outflow you get ##\rho \,\Phi_V \, g\;{\rm height} - {\rm losses} = \rho\, \Phi_v {1\over 2}\, v^2## (##\Phi_V## is the volume flow} and with ##v = 1.2 ## m/s the kinetic energy of the outflow is pretty small compared to the available head.

In fact the ##v## at the outflow is the result of a balance between head and head loss as also described in your section 2: ##\Delta H = H - H_f## for steady state becomes ##H - H_f = 0## (no more acceleration). ##\Delta H## is NOT a head loss but the remaining head that drives the acceleration. The total head loss is ##H_f##. Very confusing due to the dynamic consideration.

Head loss is not a characteristic at a point, but the difference in head between two points. So I would change
axe34 said:
I always thought that head loss at any point was 2.9534 - H
into "The head loss wrt the reservoir surface is .. " And as you can see here in the third picture, the piezometer doesn't show the head but instead shows head minus ##v^2 \over 2g##.

-----------------

Now in the steady state situation you have (see 2.3) and (2.4) ##\Delta H = 0\ \Rightarrow\ {\rm height} = 4 f {l\over d} {v^2\over 2g}## where ##f## depends on ##v## (If the flow is Laminar: ##f =\displaystyle { 16\mu\over \rho v d}## ; for the 16 see here)

The simplest way to look at head loss is to analyse what is happening in direction of water flow. And no, the head loss is not constant throughout the entire system.

First of all , head loss is defined as the frictional head loss and local head-loss (energy lost due to fittings etc..).

$$H_f = h_l + h_f= k_f \cdot \frac{v^2}{2g} + \frac{\lambda \cdot L}{D} \cdot \frac{v^2}{2g}$$

In the equation $$h_f$$ is the local energy loss and $$k_f$$ is the local losses coefficient, for example k=1 for sudden expansion from the pipe to the reservoir. $$ h_f$$ is the frictional head losses and as you can see it the equation it is a function of the length of the piping system.

Also, when we look at the system, you "read" it in direction of water flow and depending on where we do our analysis, we will have different frictional losses.

---

For figure #2, you really can't perform the calculations because you don't know the head loss between the segments (you simply assumed it is 0 which is inconsistent with the original question that frictional losses exist). In reality and for sake of consistency with the question, you would of had a LARGER velocity calculated

Last edited:

1. What is pipe head loss?

Pipe head loss is the decrease in the static pressure of a fluid as it flows through a pipe due to the resistance of the pipe and any fittings, such as bends or valves, in the system.

2. How is pipe head loss calculated?

Pipe head loss can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the pipe diameter, length, roughness, and fluid properties to determine the head loss per unit length of pipe.

3. What factors affect pipe head loss?

Several factors can affect pipe head loss, including the pipe diameter, length, roughness, fluid velocity, and the type of fittings used. Fluid properties such as viscosity and density can also play a role in determining the head loss.

4. Why is understanding pipe head loss important?

Understanding pipe head loss is crucial in designing and operating piping systems. It helps to determine the appropriate pipe diameter, flow rate, and pump requirements for a given system, which can impact energy and cost efficiency.

5. How can pipe head loss be minimized?

Pipe head loss can be minimized by using smooth pipes, reducing the number of fittings, and keeping the fluid velocity within a reasonable range. Properly sizing the pipe and using pumps with the appropriate head and flow rate can also help to reduce head loss.