How to Calculate Heat Current in a Spherical Shell?

In summary, the problem involves a spherical shell with inner and outer radii, temperatures at each surface, and a thermal conductivity value. The goal is to derive an equation for the total heat current through the shell in a steady state and to calculate the temperature as a function of r, the distance from the center of the shell. Using calculus and treating the problem as a separable differential equation, the equation H=k*4pi*(T_b-T_a)/(1/r_b-1/r_a) is obtained, which is in line with Maxwell's theory of heat. The result is confirmed to be correct.
TheDemx27
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A spherical shell has inner and outer radii r_a and r_b, respectively, and the temperatures at the inner and outer surfaces are T_a and T_b. The thermal conductivity of he shell material is k. Derive an equation for the total heat current thought the shell in the steady state. Then calculate the temperature as a function of r, the distance from the center of the shell.

Homework Equations

H=-kA(T_b-T_a)/(r_b-r_a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I'm supposed to use calculus somehow, I write the area A as a function of r, A(r)=4pi*r^2. I don't know what to do from there

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I think I got it. It is just a separable differential equation, right?

Hint: "Maxwell."

That does nothing for me. I was only ever taught the derived forms of maxwell's equations...

Treating it as a separable differential equation H=-kA*(dT/dr) I got
H=k*4pi*(T_b-T_a)/(1/r_b-1/r_a)

Last edited:
TheDemx27 said:
That does nothing for me. I was only ever taught the derived forms of maxwell's equations...

Treating it as a separable differential equation H=-kA*(dT/dr) I got
H=k*4pi*(T_b-T_a)/(1/r_b-1/r_a)
This result is right on target, and is the way I would have solved the problem too. Nice job.

Likes TheDemx27
Chestermiller said:
This result is right on target, and is the way I would have solved the problem too. Nice job.

Thanks for checking me.

Related to How to Calculate Heat Current in a Spherical Shell?

1. What is heat current in a sphere?

Heat current in a sphere refers to the flow of thermal energy through a spherical object. It is a measure of the amount of heat transferred per unit of time.

2. How is heat current in a sphere calculated?

The heat current in a sphere can be calculated using the formula: Q/t = kA(T1-T2)/d, where Q/t is the heat current, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the surface area of the sphere, T1 and T2 are the temperatures at the two ends of the sphere, and d is the distance between the two ends.

3. What factors affect the heat current in a sphere?

The heat current in a sphere is affected by several factors, including the material of the sphere, its surface area, the temperature difference between the two ends, and the distance between the two ends.

4. How does heat current in a sphere relate to thermal equilibrium?

In thermal equilibrium, the heat current in a sphere is zero, meaning that there is no net transfer of heat between the two ends of the sphere. This occurs when the temperatures at the two ends are equal.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat current in a sphere?

Heat current in a sphere is a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and has many practical applications. Some examples include understanding the flow of heat in the Earth's core, designing efficient heating and cooling systems, and developing insulation materials for buildings.