How to Calculate how much a column buckles?

In summary, to calculate the new horizontal and vertical "size" of a column based on the material and how much force is applied from the top/ends, you will need to perform a postbuckling analysis which requires solving the large-deflection beam equation. If you have access to finite element analysis software with nonlinear analysis capability, you could try doing your own analysis for your case.
Quietrabbit
TL;DR Summary
How to Calculate how much a column buckles. Ie horizontal measurement and new vertical length based on force applied.
I’m am looking for how to calculate the new horizontal and vertical “size” of a column based on the material and how much force is applied from the top/ends.
I have 3D printed TPU pillars that are made to compress and mold to a shape, but I am trying to figure out how much they will compress since that effects the shape I CAD. (I don’t want to trial and error the prints).
I have already looked into eulers equation but that seems to only give me the critical force which I know I am well past.

Attachments

• A622540C-4995-4576-891A-88FDBD6FA84F.png
    A622540C-4995-4576-891A-88FDBD6FA84F.png
    6.1 KB · Views: 59
Engineering news on Phys.org
How are the end connections to the columns made?
That will determine the type of curve and the final chord length.

You will need to perform a postbuckling analysis which requires solving the large-deflection beam equation. An example of this can be found in Section 2.7 in "Theory of Elastic Stability" by Timoshenko and Gere. If their example does not match yours, you can try a search on postbuckling of beams.

If you have access to finite element analysis software with nonlinear analysis capability (e.g., ANSYS or ABAQUS), you could try doing your own analysis for your case.

• Informative
Likes berkeman
The Euler equation predicts the force to buckle the column. That force, as alluded to by @Baluncore, is very dependent on the end support conditions. Your sketch shows simple supports, AKA pinned ends. Note that the Euler equation only applies to elastic buckling. Elastic buckling is when the column pops back to its starting shape after the load is removed.

After buckling, the force on an Euler column is roughly constant as the displacement increases. Two different search criteria that found good information are euler column constant force spring and post buckling euler columns. A good hit is this one: https://www.researchgate.net/figure...-spring-The-example-shown-here_fig1_349575713. One figure from that paper that shows this is:
Euler spring.jpg

That paper also has some references that look good.

1. How do I determine the critical buckling load for a column?

The critical buckling load for a column can be determined by using the Euler's formula: Pcr = (π2 * E * I) / (L2), where Pcr is the critical buckling load, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the area moment of inertia, and L is the length of the column.

2. What is the difference between local and global buckling?

Local buckling refers to the buckling of a specific section of a column, while global buckling refers to the buckling of the entire column. Local buckling is often caused by imperfections or damage in a specific area, while global buckling is affected by the overall length and stiffness of the column.

3. How do I calculate the slenderness ratio of a column?

The slenderness ratio of a column can be calculated by dividing the length of the column by its radius of gyration. The radius of gyration can be determined by using the formula: rg = √(I/A), where I is the area moment of inertia and A is the cross-sectional area of the column.

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating buckling in different types of columns?

The Euler's formula for calculating buckling can be used for most types of columns, as long as the column is slender and has a uniform cross-section. However, for more complex column shapes, other formulas may need to be used.

5. How does the material of the column affect its buckling behavior?

The material of the column can greatly affect its buckling behavior. Materials with higher modulus of elasticity, such as steel, are less likely to buckle compared to materials with lower modulus of elasticity, such as wood. Additionally, the yield strength of the material can also play a role in the buckling behavior of a column.