How to Calculate Intensity and Probability for Double Slit and Diffraction?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the intensity and probability of a photon ending up on a detector after passing through slits. The equations used include slit width, slit separation, and the relationships between intensity and probability. There is also mention of finding the angles corresponding to certain distances on the detector.
grkm

Homework Statement

upload_2015-1-5_22-16-56.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-1-5_22-38-51.png

slit width = a , slit separation = b = d (at photo),
tanQ=h/L m.λ=b.sinQ
λ.b=sinQ
B=π.d.sinQ/λ
α=π.a.sinQ/λ
Iq=Imx(cosB)^2 x (sinα/α)^2//

The Attempt at a Solution

My first move was to find intensity but I have no idea about the probability of finding one photon on the detector since It is not a point and It has own length.Should I think the detector as a point ? Location can be relevant with fringes but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-5_22-16-23.png
    upload_2015-1-5_22-16-23.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 529
Physics news on Phys.org
Finding the intensity is a good first move. Next, think about how the intensity function I(θ) is related to the probability of a photon ending up in some angular interval between θ1 and θ2 after passing through the slits.

Can I say |I(θ)|^2~P ? and thanks.

You wouldn't square the intensity. (The intensity, I(θ), already contains the square of the electric field.) When thinking of the probability of where a photon will go, you need to include some interval of angles. For example, if you consider an infinitesimal interval from θ to θ + dθ, then a photon will end up in that interval with a probability that's proportional to I(θ)dθ. For a finite interval from θ1 to θ2, how do you think you would calculate the probability that a photon ends up between θ1 to θ2?

so interval can be taken from h to h+d ? I am not sure but at Imax 's probability is 1/2 I am trying to find on detector.

grkm said:
so interval can be taken from h to h+d ?
Well, you'll need to find the angles θ1 and θ2 that correspond to the distances h and h+d.
I am not sure but at Imax 's probability is 1/2 I am trying to find on detector.
Sorry, I don't understand this comment.

Related to How to Calculate Intensity and Probability for Double Slit and Diffraction?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment in physics that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves passing a beam of light through two slits and observing the resulting interference pattern on a screen.

2. How does the double slit experiment relate to diffraction?

The double slit experiment is often used to demonstrate the phenomenon of diffraction, which is the bending of waves around obstacles or through small openings. In this experiment, the two slits act as obstacles, causing the light waves to diffract and create an interference pattern.

3. Why is the double slit experiment important?

The double slit experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light, which was a key discovery in the development of quantum mechanics. It also has implications for other areas of science, such as optics and engineering.

4. Can the double slit experiment be performed with other types of waves?

Yes, the double slit experiment can be performed with other types of waves, such as sound waves or water waves. In fact, the experiment was first performed using water waves by Thomas Young in 1801.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment has many practical applications, such as in the design of diffraction gratings for optical instruments, such as cameras and telescopes. It is also used in the study of quantum mechanics and has implications for technologies such as lasers and fiber optics.