How to Calculate Net Force for an Object: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the net force acting on an object shown in a diagram. The equations used include a^2 = b^2 + c^2, tanO = opposite/adjacent, C^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2abCosC, and sina/A = sinb/B = sinc/C. The individual's attempt at solving the problem is shown, but there is confusion about the direction of the applied forces and the use of Pythagoras at the onset. The recommended approach is to first break up each force into its x and y components, add them separately, and then use Pythagoras and trigonometry to find the resultant force.
jesstryin

Homework Statement

Calculate the net force acting on each object indicated in the diagrams. Show your work.

Homework Equations

a2 = b2 + c2

tanO = opposite/adjacent

C2 = a2 + b2 – 2abCosC

sina/A=sinb/B=sinc/C

The Attempt at a Solution

I attached the diagram below, it is the same as in my learning materials but I cannot share the actual course files so I recreated it just to show where the numbers are.

I am asked to find the net force acting on the object, here are my calculations:

a2 = 102 + 82
a = 12.8 N
tanO = opposite/adjacent
tanO = 10/8
51.34 or 51⁰
180 – (51 + 45)

C2 = a2 + b2 – 2abCosC
C = [ (a)2 + (b)2 – 2abCosC]1/2
C = [(12.8)2 + (17)2 – 2(12.8) * (17)cos84)]1/2
C =20.18

sina/A=sinb/B=sinc/C

sinb/17=sin84/20.18
=56.9
51⁰ - 56.9 = -5.9

I am confused because my result is negative. If it is not correct, can someone show me where to plug the numbers in for the equations, and if I am using the appropriate numbers? In the first equation, should I be using 10N and 17N instead, or are the numbers I have in the correct place?

Please let me know where the numbers are input for the equations to be done correctly. I would appreciate the help in laymen's terms, I understand everyone here is smart but I am not well versed in the language of physics yet.

Thanks for helping if you do :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized that upon copying and pasting my work, the exponents were just copied as normal numbers. The first equation is actually a^2 = 10^2 + 8^2, sorry for the confusion if caused.

I forgot the attachment also ... sorry!

Attachments

• school5.png
    school5.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 476
1. You do not show the direction (arrowhead) of the applied forces, do they all pull away from the object?
2. Don't use Pythagorus at the onset. You should first break up each force into its x and y components, add the x components, then the y components, then use Pythagorus and trig to get the resultant force.

The most common way to tackle this type of problem, and mechanics in general is by resolving each force acting on the particle. For example, Assuming that your 8N is an upward force and you 10N is pulling downward, and If we're taking down and left to be positive:

##R(\downarrow): 10 N + 17cos(45°) N - 8N = 14.021 N ##
##R(→): 17sin(45°)N = 12.021 N##
Now you can make a right triangle and solve for the resultant force, which will be in the ##\searrow## direction, using ##a^2 + b^2 = c^2##.

Last edited:

1. What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of all the individual forces acting on the object. Net force is calculated by adding together all the individual forces using vector addition.

2. What is the formula for calculating net force?

The formula for calculating net force is Fnet = ΣF, where Fnet is the net force and ΣF is the sum of all the individual forces acting on the object.

3. How do you determine the direction of net force?

The direction of net force is determined by the vector sum of all the individual forces acting on the object. If the forces are acting in the same direction, the net force will be in that direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, the net force will be in the direction of the larger force.

4. What are some common units for net force?

The most common units for net force are Newtons (N) in the metric system and pounds (lb) in the imperial system.

5. How does net force affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object determines its acceleration. If the net force is zero, the object will maintain its current state of motion. If the net force is not zero, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.