Induction motor rotor design features

In summary, the rotor end ring blades on single phase induction motors are likely made for cooling of the stator winding ends that extend out of the stator. The closer the aluminum bars on the rotor are to the stator magnetic field, the more efficient the motor may be, but this may also be affected by the inductance of the rotor winding and the depth of the rotor bars. Older motors may have had the aluminum bars embedded deeper for mechanical strength, while newer motors may have extended them to the surface for improved performance. The shape and depth of the rotor bars can also be used to vary the speed-torque characteristics of the motor.
artis
I had to repair (change bearings) on a single phase induction motor recently and I recalled an age old question I've had.
What are the rotor end ring blades made for ?
The only reasonable answer I can come up with is - they are for cooling of the stator winding ends that extend out of the stator?

Induction%20Motor%20Rotor.png

And one additional question. I've seen on older style induction motors the rotor aluminum bars, that form single loop circuits in the rotor , not visible on the rotor surface , instead they are some mm or so embedded into the rotor and the surface is completely covered by the electrical steel lamination outer surface. On newer rotors I see the aluminum bars extend to the very surface like in the picture above.

Now I would think that the closer the rotor bars are to the stator magnetic field the more flux passes through them and stronger the induction and the motor more efficient for a given size, is that true?

I assume in the older designs they did not extend the aluminum bars to the surface due to machining and mechanical issues?

Engineering news on Phys.org
One of the things that determine starting torque in an induction motor is how far down into the rotor the copper or aluminum bars are buried. Most torque occurs when they are close to the surface.

Averagesupernova said:
One of the things that determine starting torque in an induction motor is how far down into the rotor the copper or aluminum bars are buried. Most torque occurs when they are close to the surface.
And I assume that is because the further axially inwards you go in the rotor the weaker the flux becomes therefore less induced current.
So it seems the earlier motors had the aluminum bars embedded deeper simply for mechanical strength possibly as otherwise it seems detrimental to performance

artis said:
And I assume that is because the further axially inwards you go in the rotor the weaker the flux becomes therefore less induced current.
So it seems the earlier motors had the aluminum bars embedded deeper simply for mechanical strength possibly as otherwise it seems detrimental to performance
The inductance of the rotor winding(s) goes up as the conductors are buried deeper. This increases inductive reactance. Startup is when the induced current in the rotor is at the highest frequency. The higher inductive reactance limits rotor current moreso than if the rotor conductors are closer to the surface. Naturally, higher rotor current gets us higher torque.

Likes artis
artis said:
And one additional question. I've seen on older style induction motors the rotor aluminum bars, that form single loop circuits in the rotor , not visible on the rotor surface , instead they are some mm or so embedded into the rotor and the surface is completely covered by the electrical steel lamination outer surface. On newer rotors I see the aluminum bars extend to the very surface like in the picture above.

How about this from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squirrel-cage_rotor#Structure
The shape and depth of the rotor bars can be used to vary the speed-torque characteristics of the induction motor. At standstill, the revolving magnetic field passes the rotor bars at a high rate, inducing line-frequency current into the rotor bars. Due to the skin effect, the induced current tends to flow at the outer edge of the winding. As the motor accelerates, the slip frequency decreases and induced current flows at greater depths in the winding. By tapering the profile of the rotor bars to vary their resistance at different depths, or by constructing a double squirrel cage, with a combination of high and low impedance rotor in parallel the motor can be arranged to produce more or less torque at standstill and near its synchronous speed.

Likes artis

1. What are the main components of an induction motor rotor?

The main components of an induction motor rotor are the rotor core, rotor bars, and end rings. The rotor core is typically made of laminated steel and provides a path for the magnetic flux. The rotor bars are made of aluminum or copper and carry the induced currents. The end rings connect the rotor bars and complete the rotor circuit.

2. What is the purpose of rotor slots in an induction motor?

The rotor slots in an induction motor serve two main purposes. First, they provide space for the rotor bars to be placed and connected to the end rings. Second, they help to reduce losses due to eddy currents by breaking up the solid rotor core into smaller sections.

3. How are the rotor bars connected to the end rings in an induction motor?

The rotor bars are typically brazed or welded to the end rings in an induction motor. This ensures a strong and reliable connection that can withstand the high mechanical and electromagnetic forces experienced during operation.

4. What is the significance of the rotor skew in an induction motor?

The rotor skew in an induction motor refers to the angled placement of the rotor bars in the rotor slots. This design feature helps to reduce torque ripple and improve motor performance by reducing noise and vibrations.

5. How does the number of rotor slots affect the performance of an induction motor?

The number of rotor slots in an induction motor can affect its performance in several ways. A higher number of slots can improve the motor's efficiency and reduce losses, but it can also increase the complexity and cost of manufacturing. A lower number of slots may result in a less efficient motor but can be more cost-effective. The optimal number of slots depends on the specific application and design considerations.