How to calculate self energy Feynman diagram like that

In summary: Yes, it will be meaningful. The contracted indices mean summation e.g.##p_\alpha\gamma^\alpha = \sum_{\alpha=0}^3 p_\alpha\gamma^\alpha##.
Safinaz
Hi all ,

I try to calculate the squared amplitude of the following self energy digram :

B-l.png
where se is massless Dirac fermion , and vrm is massless right handed neutrino. x is a scalar with mass m ..

I wrote the nominator of this process as:

N = ## \bar{u}(p) (1-\gamma_5) (p\!\!\!/ +k\!\!\!/ ) (1+\gamma_5) u(p) \to p\!\!\!/ (1-\gamma_5) (p\!\!\!/ +k\!\!\!/ ) (1+\gamma_5) \to p\!\!\!/ (1-\gamma_5) (p\!\!\!/ +k\!\!\!/ ) \to p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha (1-\gamma_5) (p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha + k_\beta \gamma^\beta ) \to p_\alpha p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha \gamma^\alpha +p_\alpha k_\beta\gamma^\alpha \gamma^\beta - p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha \gamma_5 p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha - p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha \gamma_5 k_\beta \gamma^\beta ##

I don't know how the first term as ## p_\alpha p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha \gamma^\alpha ## can be calculated or the third term .. also I don't know how ## P.K## which comes from the second term can be calculated from the process kinematics ? while ## P^2 =0 ## and ## K^2 = m_\chi^2##

Note that: the momentums of the particles in the Feynman diagram are se(p), vrm(p+k) and x(k)

Also the "x se vrm " vertices come from these Lagrangian terms:

## y (\bar{\nu_R^c} \chi s + \bar{s} \chi \nu_R^c ) ## (where s-> se, ##\chi ## -> x and \nu -> vrm)

Thanks ..

Physics news on Phys.org
For the terms you asked for: Wikipedia has a useful list of identities: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_matrices#Feynman_slash_notation. I am not sure if I follow your steps though. Are there traces implied over your terms? Also, ##k^2 \neq m_\chi^2##, as ##k^\mu## is the loop momentum you are integrating over.

Edit: Also, for a self energy you would not necessarily write it between spinors, probably you could expand more on what you actually want to calculate...

Last edited:
Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Are there traces implied over your terms

Yes, sure .. I forgot Tr [] :(

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Also, for a self energy you would not necessarily write it between spinors

Now it getting worse .. the nominator becomes:

## N = Tr [ (1-\gamma_5) (p\!\!\!/ +k\!\!\!/ ) (1+\gamma_5) \to (1-\gamma_5) (p\!\!\!/ +k\!\!\!/ ) ] \to 0 ##

since:

Trace of any product of an odd number of ## \gamma^\mu ## is zero and trace of ## \gamma^5 ## times a product of an odd number of ## \gamma^\mu ## is also zero ..

Likes vanhees71
Why do you write same indices more than once?

Which indices ? I think the veritecs and momentums are all clear in the question

Safinaz said:
Now it getting worse ..

But you only have a trace if there are spinors. In this case all your terms just need traces (and I think you are missing a factor of two from ##(1-\gamma_5)(1-\gamma_5) = 2(1-\gamma_5)##).

Safinaz said:
Which indices ?

For example

Safinaz said:
→##p_\alpha p_\alpha\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\alpha##

would be more readable as ##p_\alpha p_\beta\gamma^\alpha\gamma^\beta##.

It's not only "more readable" but it's a meaningful expression. Each index can occur maximally twice, and in this case one must be an upper and one a lower index, and this implies by convention that you sum over this index from 0 to 3 (Einstein summation convention). If the same index occurs more than twice or two same upper or lower indices, than the expression is wrong.

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
But you only have a trace if there are spinors. In this case all your terms just need traces

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
Also, for a self energy you would not necessarily write it between spinors

So some thing is not clear now, do I write the spinors ? that is the right ?

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
and I think you are missing a factor of two

Yap .. but forget about numbers now, actually it will be a factor of 1/2, because ##P_L = (1-\gamma^5)/2## and ##P_R = (1+\gamma^5)/2##

ChrisVer said:
Why do you write same indices more than once?

I will say why .. please look the following Feynman digram of the process

loop.png

I have in N ## p\!\!\!/ ## comes from the spinors and ## p\!\!\!/ ## appear in ## (p\!\!\!/+k\!\!\!/) ## from the fermion propagtor, so it's the same momentum or p .. I wonder if it will be meaningfull if i used different indecis for like ## p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha (1-\gamma_5) (p_\delta \gamma^\delta + k_\beta \gamma^\beta ) ## ?

Attachments

• loop.png
    loop.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 589
Safinaz said:
So some thing is not clear now, do I write the spinors?

The self energy ##\Sigma(p)## is usually defined as just the 1PI blob, for which at lowest order your diagram would contribute. There are no spinors involved. You can of course write down the expression for ##\bar{u}(p)\Sigma(p)u(p)##, but I am not aware what this expression would mean. What observable do you want to calculate?
Safinaz said:
I have in N p/p/ p\!\!\!/ comes from the spinors and p/p/ p\!\!\!/ appear in (p/+k/)(p/+k/) (p\!\!\!/+k\!\!\!/) from the fermion propagtor, so it's the same momentum or p .

That is why you call it ##p## both times. But the contracted indices mean summation e.g. ##p_\alpha\gamma^\alpha = \sum_{\alpha=0}^3 p_\alpha\gamma^\alpha##. The sums in the two ##\slash{p}## expressions have their own indices.

Safinaz said:
I wonder if it will be meaningfull if i used different indecis for like pαγα(1−γ5)(pδγδ+kβγβ)pαγα(1−γ5)(pδγδ+kβγβ) p_\alpha \gamma^\alpha (1-\gamma_5) (p_\delta \gamma^\delta + k_\beta \gamma^\beta ) ?

That would be the expression.

So now "P.K" or ##p_\mu k^\mu## what does it equal ? 'd we use CMF kinematics here ? but I wonder how ..

Well , ##k^\mu## is the loop momentum you are integrating over, so you need to calculate something like ##p_\mu \int \frac{d^4k}{(2\pi)^4} \frac{k^\mu}{D}##, where ##D## means the denominator corresponding to your diagram.

Dr.AbeNikIanEdL said:
but I am not aware what this expression would mean. What observable do you want to calculate?

I want to calculate the mass of a particle ## s ## on the loop level ..

so you indeed just need the self energy

Likes Safinaz
What's you interaction? I can only guess from your a bit strange posting #1 that it might be the coupling
$$\mathcal{L}_{\text{int}}=g \overline{\psi} \mathrm{i} \gamma^5 \psi \phi,$$
where ##\psi## is a Dirac spinor and ##\phi## a (pseudo-)scalar field. The corresponding Feynman rule is that the three-point vertex is ##-g \gamma^5##. The propagator lines are
$$G(p)=\frac{\gamma_{\mu} p^{\mu}+m}{p^2-m^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+}, \quad D(p)=\frac{1}{p^2-M^2+\mathrm{i} 0^+},$$
for the fermion and boson respectively.

Now apply the Feynman rules. The self-energy is truncated, i.e., the external legs are not considered. They just tell you that you have a self-energy. Now you have to read the diagram against the direction of the spinor legs. Then taking into account the symmetry factor you get
$$\sigma(p)=-g^2 \int \mathrm{d}^4 l \frac{1}{(2 \pi)^4} \gamma^5 \mathrm{i} G(l+p) \gamma^5 \mathrm{i} D(l).$$
Now you can use standard formulae (e.g., regularizing with dimensional regularization) and evaluate the diagram, which is linearly divergent, i.e., you need a wave-function and a mass counter term to make the diagram finite, as expected.

Likes Safinaz and Dr.AbeNikIanEdL

1. How do I determine the self energy in a Feynman diagram?

The self energy in a Feynman diagram can be calculated by using the following equation: Σ = m + √(p2 + m2), where m is the mass of the particle and p is the momentum. This equation takes into account the energy and momentum of the particle, which are represented by the arrows in the Feynman diagram.

2. What is the significance of the self energy in a Feynman diagram?

The self energy in a Feynman diagram represents the energy of a particle due to its own interactions. It is an important concept in quantum field theory and is used to calculate the mass and charge of particles.

3. How does the self energy affect the overall energy of a particle in a Feynman diagram?

The self energy contributes to the overall energy of a particle in a Feynman diagram. It is one of several factors that determine the mass and charge of a particle. The self energy can also affect the behavior of the particle in certain interactions.

4. Can the self energy in a Feynman diagram be negative?

Yes, the self energy in a Feynman diagram can be negative. This can occur when a particle interacts with its own virtual particles, resulting in a decrease in the particle's energy. However, the total energy of the system must remain constant.

5. Are there any practical applications for calculating the self energy in Feynman diagrams?

The calculation of self energy in Feynman diagrams is an important tool in theoretical physics and is used in a variety of applications, such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and cosmology. It can help us understand the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces of nature.