How to calculate significant digits

In summary, when calculating significant digits, you round to the term with the least significant digits (numbers of zeros). If you're doing this for school, they want you to learn how to carry the calculation out to two decimal spaces.
CaitiePhr33k
like, major help I have no idea what to do when calculating significant digits and stuff like that

those who help I thank very much so:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Caitie.
I'm not entirely sure that I understand the question. If you mean how to decide upon how many decimal places to include in your answer, that's up to the requirements of the situation. In any event, it can't exceed the minimum accuracy involved in the parts of the calculation. (At least, that's the way that I was taught.) If you use 3.14 for pi, for instance, your answer would have to be rounded to 2 decimal places no matter how many are in the rest of the equation.

the one question is 164.5 min. i have to round to the appropriate number of significant digits and convert to the state unit of seconds

The number of significant figures in the answer depends upon the number of significant figures in the data used to compute the answer.

Doc Al said:
The number of significant figures in the answer depends upon the number of significant figures in the data used to compute the answer.

you lost me and now my head hurts

CaitiePhr33k said:

It depends on the number of significant figures you start off with. If the question tells you to use, say, g = 9.8, you would give your answer to 2 s.f.

oh ok i kinda get it now

When calculating significant digits, you round to the term with the least significant digits (nubers of zeros) A few examples might help.

1) 1.03 x 2.245 rounded to 2 digits = 2.31
2) 2 x 2.25 rounded to 0 zero digits = 2

CaitiePhr33k said:

LOL! I know just how you feel.

One aspect of sig figs that hasn't been mentioned, yet; this statement...

If you use 3.14 for pi, for instance, your answer would have to be rounded to 2 decimal places no matter how many are in the rest of the equation.

...is essentialy accurate, but it kind of leaves out something. The real trick to dealing with sig figs is that, if you multiply 1000 times Pi, and you use "3.14" for Pi, then you no longer carry the calculation out to two decimal spaces. Your answer would be "3140", and not "3141.59", nor "3140.00". You see that, if you start with only two decimal spaces of accuracy, and multiply by a thousand, your margin for error also multiplies by a thousand. If this is something you're doing for school, that is probably the point they want you to learn.

Hi, Lurch. Yeah, that's what I meant by 'minimum accuracy', but I sure didn't express it very well. Thanks for clarifying.

Related to How to calculate significant digits

1. What are significant digits and why are they important?

Significant digits are the accurate and precise numbers in a measurement or calculation. They are important because they indicate the level of precision of a value and can impact the overall accuracy of a calculation.

2. How do I determine the number of significant digits in a measurement?

The rule for determining significant digits is to count all non-zero digits and any zeros between them. For example, in the number 4.056, there are four significant digits.

3. How do I round a number to the correct number of significant digits?

To round a number to the correct number of significant digits, start from the leftmost non-zero digit and round up or down depending on the following digits. If the next digit is 5 or higher, round up. If it is 4 or lower, round down. For example, if you need to round 7.435 to 2 significant digits, the answer would be 7.4.

4. What is the significance of trailing zeros in a number?

Trailing zeros in a number without a decimal point do not count as significant digits. For example, in the number 100, there is only one significant digit. However, if the number has a decimal point, trailing zeros after the decimal are significant. For example, in the number 100.00, there are five significant digits.

5. How do I perform calculations with significant digits?

When performing calculations with significant digits, the final answer should have the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the least number of significant digits. Additionally, when multiplying or dividing, the answer should be rounded to the same number of significant digits as the measurement with the least number of significant digits. For addition and subtraction, the answer should be rounded to the same number of decimal places as the measurement with the least number of decimal places.