How to calculate stress on a pipe wall

In summary, the stress exerted by the compressed hose material on the external part of the fitting is unknown.
Galvax85
I have a PVC fitting that keeps cracking. The fitting consists of 2 parts. One piece is placed over the end of a flexible PVC ribbed hose, and the other is inserted inside the hose. The 2 parts act as a compression fitting to attach to the end of the hose. The hose typically has an outside diameter of 1.85". When the internal part is screwed into the hose, it expands the hose's outer diameter to 1.9". The inner diameter of the external part is 1.8". How do I calculate the stress exerted by the compressed hose material on the external part of my fitting?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Galvax85 said:
I have a PVC fitting that keeps cracking. The fitting consists of 2 parts. One piece is placed over the end of a flexible PVC ribbed hose, and the other is inserted inside the hose. The 2 parts act as a compression fitting to attach to the end of the hose. The hose typically has an outside diameter of 1.85". When the internal part is screwed into the hose, it expands the hose's outer diameter to 1.9". The inner diameter of the external part is 1.8". How do I calculate the stress exerted by the compressed hose material on the external part of my fitting?
Can you provide a diagram?

Is this failure something that occurs after a period of time in service? If so, have you investigated all of the potential environmental and service elements that might cause loss of strength and/or embrittlement of the outer ring.

No, they are not in service. No, they are not exposed to foreign elements.

Can you find out from the supplier/manufacturer the compressive modulus of the flexible pvc hose material?

Related to How to calculate stress on a pipe wall

1. How do I calculate the stress on a pipe wall?

To calculate the stress on a pipe wall, you will need to use the formula: stress = force/area. This means you will need to know the force acting on the pipe and the area of the pipe's cross-section.

2. What factors affect the stress on a pipe wall?

The main factors that affect the stress on a pipe wall include the internal pressure of the fluid flowing through the pipe, the weight of the pipe itself, and any external forces or loads acting on the pipe.

3. How do I determine the area of a pipe's cross-section?

The area of a pipe's cross-section can be calculated using the formula: area = π x (diameter/2)^2, where π is the mathematical constant pi and the diameter is the distance across the pipe.

4. What are the units for stress on a pipe wall?

The units for stress on a pipe wall are typically represented in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi). However, other units such as newtons per square meter (N/m^2) or kilopascals (kPa) may also be used.

5. Is there a maximum allowable stress for a pipe wall?

Yes, there is a maximum allowable stress for a pipe wall. This is known as the yield stress, which is the point at which the material of the pipe will start to deform or fail. It is important to calculate and consider this limit when determining the stress on a pipe wall to ensure its structural integrity.