How to calculate the calories burnt during walking

In summary: Constant motion requires essentially no energy. All the energy is used up by muscular inefficiencies.
rrcmks
Based on Laws of Physics, how to calculate the calories burnt by a person, weighing 60 kg during walking at a speed of 4 kmh–1 for 1 hour.
Surprisingly different answers were given by online calculators. Though I am not a Physicist, please let me know the formula or principle behind the calculation and I know dietary Calorie = 1000 calories.
is this logic
=1/2 × 60 kg × (4000/3600 ms–1)2 ~ 37 J

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
rrcmks said:
Based on Laws of Physics, how to calculate the calories burnt by a person, weighing 60 kg during walking at a speed of 4 kmh–1 for 1 hour.
Surprisingly different answers were given by online calculators. Though I am not a Physicist, please let me know the formula or principle behind the calculation and I know dietary Calorie = 1000 calories.

It's not really a theroretical physics question because it depends mostly on physiology and muscular inefficiencies. Two related questions:

How many calories do you burn if you sit in a chair for an hour?

How many calories do you burn if you cycle at 4km/h for one hour?

There isn't much simple physics in this calculation: the physical work to actually move something horizontally for an hour has a lower limit of zero.
The physics would then be in maintaining body temperature and that's indeed rather broad in terms of Joules, as you can understand (wind, clothing).

Is there no common range of values at all ? Examples ?

I personally don't trust the makers of exercise machines: they never seem to be able to convert calories/hour into Watt (Joule/second).

Thank you BvU. Can we use simple Kinetic energy equation energy require to move mass of 60 kg at a speed of 4km/h. Though it is not accurate, is it logic way. Please forgive me I am not Physicist.

BvU said:
There isn't much simple physics in this calculation: the physical work to actually move something horizontally for an hour has a lower limit of zero.
The physics would then be in maintaining body temperature and that's indeed rather broad in terms of Joules, as you can understand (wind, clothing).

Is there no common range of values at all ? Examples ?

I personally don't trust the makers of exercise machines: they never seem to be able to convert calories/hour into Watt (Joule/second).

Thank you BvU. Can we use simple Kinetic energy equation energy require to move mass of 60 kg at a speed of 4km/h. Though it is not accurate, is it logic way. Please forgive me I am not Physicist.

is this logic

Last edited:
rrcmks said:

The energy required for that is simply zero! It takes no energy to maintain constant motion. Essentially.

is this logic

PeroK said:
The energy required for that is simply zero! It takes no energy to maintain constant motion. Essentially.
is this logic

rrcmks said:

Which is independent of the time. That's the initial energy to accelerate to ##4km/h##. The Kinetic energy to remain at that speed for 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour or whatever is zero. That's your problem. All the energy required to maintain 4km/h is wasted through one inefficiency of motion or another.

BvU said:
I always figured one was input and the other output, but I've never bothered to look at the actual comparison/conversion.
[Edit] Pulling some numbers from memory and converting, I guess my bike is telling me I'm about 20% efficient.

Last edited:
is this logic

PeroK said:
Which is independent of the time. That's the initial energy to accelerate to ##4km/h##. The Kinetic energy to remain at that speed for 1 second, 1 minute, 1 hour or whatever is zero. That's your problem. All the energy required to maintain 4km/h is wasted through one inefficiency of motion or another.
Assume if speed is constant for 1 hour, then how can we proceed? By simple assumptions is it possible to get some values. I wonder is it that much difficult... sorry

rrcmks said:
Assume if speed is constant for 1 hour, then how can we proceed? By simple assumptions is it possible to get some values. I wonder is it that much difficult... sorry

You're not listening. No, it's not possible for the reasons given. Constant motion requires essentially no energy. All the energy is used up by muscular inefficiencies. The only way to get a figure is to study muscles (or get some empirical data).

Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
PeroK said:
You're not listening. No, it's not possible for the reasons given. Constant motion requires essentially no energy. All the energy is used up by muscular inefficiencies. The only way to get a figure is to study muscles (or get some empirical data).
Yeah I understand once triggered it moves. So, by assuming if there is no factors influencing, whether this should be considered as energy required.
Correct me if I am wrong. Sorry for annoying.

rrcmks said:
Yeah I understand once triggered it moves. So, by assuming if there is no factors influencing, whether this should be considered as energy required.
Correct me if I am wrong. Sorry for annoying.

Obviously it can't be. You have a very small amount of energy required to get to 4km/h, and then an unknown energy to maintain this.

You can compare with a bicycle where a constant motion of 4km/h would require almost no effort. On a well-oiled bicycle you could coast perhaps 50m before you stopped. If you are walking, there is no coasting mechanism. You have to keep moving your muscles all the time. That's where the energy goes.

PS this is why the bicycle was such a great invention. It has no engine and you are doing all the work, but to move at, say, 10km/h is easy on a bike, but hard work if you are running.

Likes rrcmks
You wan't to know the 'calories burnt' ... the most accurate way to measure this must be to measure the CO2 output (and O2 consumed) when on a treadmill ... this can be compared with what it takes to burn carbohydrates , a simple chemical equation ...

I seem to remember the usable output from an athlete (to drive a man powered airplane) is 300w ... a horsepower (output from a horse) is 750w ... I think both are around 10% efficient.

Likes sophiecentaur and rrcmks
rrcmks said:

As this thread shows, your question is not easy to answer. Your calculation equates kinetic energy and 'expended energy' using the rationale that when you stop trying to walk, you more or less immediately stop moving. An alternative approach is to use expended power P = Fv, where v is the velocity and F is the frictional force. Neither of these are 'well-respected' approaches to answering your question because gait is a very complex motion:

http://www.footeducation.com/foot-and-ankle-basics/biomechanics-of-foot-and-ankle/biomechanics-of-walking-gait/

https://books.google.com/books?id=1...onepage&q=biomechanics walking energy&f=false

Figure 5.6 in the second link has some information about energy expenditure. Practically speaking, measurements of expended energy are performed by measuring O2 consumption. It's common for a wide range of values to be reported, since many physiological factors (age, weight, overall fitness) impact energy expenditure.

Likes rrcmks and PeroK
PeroK said:
Obviously it can't be. You have a very small amount of energy required to get to 4km/h, and then an unknown energy to maintain this.

You can compare with a bicycle where a constant motion of 4km/h would require almost no effort. On a well-oiled bicycle you could coast perhaps 50m before you stopped. If you are walking, there is no coasting mechanism. You have to keep moving your muscles all the time. That's where the energy goes.

PS this is why the bicycle was such a great invention. It has no engine and you are doing all the work, but to move at, say, 10km/h is easy on a bike, but hard work if you are running.
Thank you for your explanation and your time.

Andy Resnick said:
As this thread shows, your question is not easy to answer. Your calculation equates kinetic energy and 'expended energy' using the rationale that when you stop trying to walk, you more or less immediately stop moving. An alternative approach is to use expended power P = Fv, where v is the velocity and F is the frictional force. Neither of these are 'well-respected' approaches to answering your question because gait is a very complex motion:

http://www.footeducation.com/foot-and-ankle-basics/biomechanics-of-foot-and-ankle/biomechanics-of-walking-gait/

https://books.google.com/books?id=1BG78utt6VUC&pg=PA69&lpg=PA69&dq=biomechanics+walking+energy&source=bl&ots=zTyyX9WPYJ&sig=bcBJKfkYVqcRw_Q4fcfcXPF4qqI&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj6w_qI7drRAhUDMyYKHdg3CDwQ6AEIWTAJ#v=onepage&q=biomechanics walking energy&f=false

Figure 5.6 in the second link has some information about energy expenditure. Practically speaking, measurements of expended energy are performed by measuring O2 consumption. It's common for a wide range of values to be reported, since many physiological factors (age, weight, overall fitness) impact energy expenditure.
Thank you for your detailed explanation and your time.

Thank you Perok and Resnik,
I think the question is recoined to get a straight uncomplicated answer
"how to calculate the energy for an object weighing 60 kg to move in a frictionless surface at a speed of 4 kmh–1 for 1 hour and by assuming without the influence of any external factors" In that case may I use

rrcmks said:
"how to calculate the energy for an object weighing 60 kg to move in a frictionless surface at a speed of 4 kmh–1 for 1 hour and by assuming without the influence of any external factors" In that case may I use

That is the KE the object has at 4 km/h, regardless of how long it moves. The "for 1 hour" duration is not included here and irrelevant.

Likes rrcmks
A.T. said:
That is the KE the object has at 4 km/h, regardless of how long it moves. The "for 1 hour" duration is not included here and irrelevant.
Yeah I understand. Thank you for correcting me.

rrcmks said:
Is this actually a schoolwork/homework question? Did you provide the exact wording? If so, it may be a trick question with an answer of zero.

rrcmks said:
Yeah I understand. Thank you for correcting me.

Unfortunately, you've said this before, and I don't think you do, because you kept bringing up the SAME thing.

You cannot extract the amount of Calories burnt by your body simply by applying basic mechanics principle. Period! Your application of kinetic energy formula clearly shows why this isn't valid here. There are other physiological factors involved in making such a calculation, and including that will require this question to be asked in the Biology/Medical forum below.

Zz.

Likes Student100
russ_watters said:
Is this actually a schoolwork/homework question? Did you provide the exact wording? If so, it may be a trick question with an answer of zero.
No dear Watters, I am 46 years old (ha ha ha homework ?) and while on regular walking in my treadmill it shows some reading ... some calories burnt. Out of curiosity I checked online for correlation, but unfortunately none provide exact results and methodology to calculate. So for the past two days I scratched my head (in fact I felt for not studying Physics) and so I posted here.

Yes but. It's a useless answer. If I get up from my chair, my center of mass goes up by approx 0.3 m. That corresponds to 300 J. Easy physics: ##E = mg\Delta h## . Your 37 J is peanuts -- furthermore it applies for 1 hour, but also for 1 minute or 1 second or for a whole day, for that matter.

Better to just grab a source and use it -- while mentioning which source you refer to in your reporting.

[edit] this was in reply to #20 (I'm slow).

Treadmill is an exercise apparatus, for which see post #3

rrcmks said:

Sure, that's the energy you need to provide the object to accelerate it from rest to 4 km/h on a frictionless surface. The amount of time it spends sliding is then irrelevant- it will continue along at 4 km/h as long as it remains on a frictionless surface (that is also flat, if gravity is present).

Just coming into chime in that basic physics is entirely useless to calculate caloric consumption. As an example, with pure physical considerations, holding a 100lb weight on your extended arm for an hour consumes zero energy. Zero.
What consumes all the energy are the muscles in your arms that aren't good at staying flexed. To do so they consume energy stored in your cells, and that's where the calories are burned. But that's biology. From a physical, i.e. mechanical standpoint, you did absolutely nothing.

Likes rrcmks
BvU said:
Yes but. It's a useless answer. If I get up from my chair, my center of mass goes up by approx 0.3 m. That corresponds to 300 J. Easy physics: ##E = mg\Delta h## . Your 37 J is peanuts -- furthermore it applies for 1 hour, but also for 1 minute or 1 second or for a whole day, for that matter.

Better to just grab a source and use it -- while mentioning which source you refer to in your reporting.

BvU said:

Thank you BvU, I referred many online calculators.
Source1
Source2
Source3
Source4

while on walking our body COG moves vertically some 1-1.5inches -for every step- ie the potential energy of our body increases- by body weight (N)x 40/1000(m) j- this requires energy +metabolism, etc,

Likes rrcmks

What is the formula for calculating calories burnt during walking?

The formula for calculating calories burnt during walking is: (MET x 3.5 x weight in kg) / 200 = calories burnt per minute. MET stands for metabolic equivalent, which is a measure of the energy cost of physical activity.

How do I determine my MET level for walking?

The MET level for walking depends on your speed and intensity. Generally, a leisurely stroll would have a MET level of 2.5, while a brisk walk would have a MET level of 3.5. You can find a comprehensive list of MET levels for different types of walking on the Compendium of Physical Activities website.

Do factors like age and gender affect the calculation of calories burnt during walking?

Yes, age and gender can affect the calculation of calories burnt during walking. Generally, younger individuals and males tend to have a higher metabolism and thus burn more calories while walking. However, the difference is not significant enough to drastically alter the calculation.

Can I use a fitness tracker or app to calculate my calories burnt during walking?

Yes, many fitness trackers and apps have a feature that allows you to track your walking activity and calculate the calories burnt. These devices and apps use the same formula mentioned earlier, taking into account your weight, speed, and duration of walking.

Is the calculation of calories burnt during walking accurate?

The calculation of calories burnt during walking is an estimate and may not be 100% accurate. Factors like individual metabolism and walking form can affect the results. However, it is a useful tool for tracking and comparing your walking activity over time.