How to calculate the force to cut a log?

In summary: I haven't been able to find a formula for that but I'm sure someone here might know.In summary, there are many different factors that affect the ease of cutting a log, such as the type of wood, how fast you want to cut it, and the power you use.
andrewtirtawijaya
Good morning guys,

So i want to make mechanism to cut log with diameter 5 cm and 120 cm length. So how i can calculate the force to cut this log perpendicular and paralel. What is tbe formula i can use? And how i can determine the saw thickness and rpm needed to cut this log? Thanks guys for your concern. It will be usefull for me

Thanks ^^

Engineering news on Phys.org
I tried a google search on "Circular saw design" and found lots of sites and calculators that provide formulas. For example:
http://www.thinkerf.com/formulas.htm

Likes russ_watters
My own experience as a wood worker suggests that a lot depends on how fast you want to cut that log. If you are willing to take it slow and easy, low power may be sufficient. If you are in a hurry, plan on lots more power. It also depends a lot on what kind of wood you are cutting. Soft woods cut more easily that dry, rock hard maple or oak.

Dr.D said:
My own experience as a wood worker suggests that a lot depends on how fast you want to cut that log. If you are willing to take it slow and easy, low power may be sufficient. If you are in a hurry, plan on lots more power. It also depends a lot on what kind of wood you are cutting. Soft woods cut more easily that dry, rock hard maple or oak.
Well I'll try to ask for more specification to my supervisor. But is there any formula that i can use to calculate it?

Likes berkeman

What is the formula for calculating the force needed to cut a log?

The formula for calculating the force needed to cut a log is force = pressure x area. This means that the force required is directly proportional to the pressure applied and the surface area of the log being cut.

How do I determine the pressure needed to cut a log?

The pressure needed to cut a log depends on the type of cutting tool used and the hardness of the log. Generally, a higher pressure is needed for harder logs and for tools with a smaller surface area.

What factors affect the force needed to cut a log?

The force needed to cut a log is affected by the type and sharpness of the cutting tool, the density and hardness of the log, and the angle at which the tool is applied to the log.

How can I increase the force to cut a log?

To increase the force needed to cut a log, you can use a sharper cutting tool, increase the pressure applied to the tool, or apply the tool at a steeper angle. You can also use a larger cutting tool with a larger surface area.

Is there a way to estimate the force needed to cut a log without using a formula?

Yes, you can estimate the force needed to cut a log by using a log splitting calculator or by consulting a log cutting chart. These tools take into account the type of wood and the diameter of the log to provide an estimate of the force needed.