How to calculate the horizontal shift?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of horizontal shift and its relation to calculating the horizontal component of a_cx. It is mentioned that a_{cx} is in terms of the angle and radius of the Earth, but to include the 50 m vertical distance, a_{cy} may also need to be considered to calculate the net acceleration. The conversation also clarifies that there is a centrifugal force, not a centripetal force, due to the rotation of the Earth. Finally, the conversation discusses the displacement formula and clarifies that the final position is not equal to ##\frac{1}{2} a_{cx}t^2##, but rather the horizontal displacement is how far an object lands from where it would
centinela20
Homework Statement
I have a homework problem where we consider a point over the earth's surface, which is in a different parallel to the equator. There is a centrifugal force due to the rotation of the earth. (there is an attached figure of this).
I need to calculate the horizontal shift due to a_{cx} of an object falls vertically from 50 m above this point.
Relevant Equations
a_{cy} = \omega^2 R \cos{\theta}^{2} and
a_{cx} =\omega^2 R \sin{\theta} \cos{\theta}
centripetalaceleration.png

I don't understand what horizontal shift means. I believe that means calculate the horizontal component of a_cx. But when I do that a_{cx} is in terms only of the angle and the radius of the earth. But what I need is to include the 50 m vertical distance, so I think that maybe we need to use a_{cy} too and calculate the net acceleration acting at this point. But I don't really know. I am pretty lost.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
centinela20 said:
what horizontal shift means
I would take it as meaning displacement, hence the need to specify the height.

Btw, you do not mean "There is a centripetal force due to the rotation of the earth." In the rotating frame there is a centrifugal force. Centripetal force is usually considered in an inertial frame, but it is not an applied force; it is the radial component of the net of the applied forces.

Likes centinela20
haruspex said:
I would take it as meaning displacement, hence the need to specify the height.

Btw, you do not mean "There is a centripetal force due to the rotation of the earth." In the rotating frame there is a centrifugal force. Centripetal force is usually considered in an inertial frame, but it is not an applied force; it is the radial component of the net of the applied forces.
Yes, sorry that was a typo mistake.
So if I take it as a displacement it would be ##\triangle x = p_{final} - p_{initial} ##
and the initial postition is the 50 m,
is the final position ## x= \frac{1}{2} a_{cx}t^2## ?

centinela20 said:
Yes, sorry that was a typo mistake.
So if I take it as a displacement it would be ##\triangle x = p_{final} - p_{initial} ##
and the initial postition is the 50 m,
is the final position ## x= \frac{1}{2} a_{cx}t^2## ?
No, horizontal displacement, i.e. how far it lands from where it would have landed if not for Earth's rotation.

• Informative
Likes centinela20

1. What is the formula for calculating horizontal shift?

The formula for calculating horizontal shift is h = -c/b, where h represents the horizontal shift, c represents the constant term, and b represents the coefficient of the x-term.

2. What does the horizontal shift represent?

The horizontal shift represents the amount by which a graph is shifted left or right from its original position on the x-axis. A positive horizontal shift indicates a shift to the right, while a negative horizontal shift indicates a shift to the left.

3. How do I determine the values of c and b in the formula?

The value of c can be determined by looking at the constant term in the equation. The value of b can be determined by looking at the coefficient of the x-term. For example, in the equation y = 2x + 3, c = 3 and b = 2.

4. Can a horizontal shift be negative?

Yes, a horizontal shift can be negative. This indicates that the graph has been shifted to the left by the specified amount.

5. How do I graph an equation with a horizontal shift?

To graph an equation with a horizontal shift, start by plotting the original points on the graph. Then, use the calculated horizontal shift value to shift the points left or right on the x-axis. Finally, connect the shifted points to create the shifted graph.