How to calculate the tension needed for a crosspiece in an A-frame structure?

In summary, Homework Equations: torque = (F) (r) (position)F = ma, tension in crosspiece EF must withstand 350 kg, take moments about point A to reduce work.
homo-sapiens

Homework Statement

You are designing the crosspiece for the A-frame structure in the figure below. Beams AB and AC are 3.35 m long and have a mass of 350.0 kg each. How much tension must the crosspiece EF withstand? Assume that the mass of the crosspiece and the friction at points B and C are negligible.
http://puu.sh/cnU4U/5763fd520c.png

Homework Equations

torque = (F) (r) (position)
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

i took one section of the ladder thing. i chose the pivot point at force of the pin (Fp) and balance the forces on the free body diagram. the 0.8 is from the horizontal distance between the tension and pivot point
http://puu.sh/cnUsg/52dd539959.png
then i calculated everything and got the answer
http://puu.sh/cnUJ3/a9d00e4b98.png

anyone can explain what i did wrong??[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have assumed that the force from the other beam acts, upwards, at right angles to the beam being analysed. What would that imply if you were to draw the diagram for the other beam?

it's not at right angle with the beam, i assumed it would be acting in the direction with the same as the direction of the extension of the AC bar. and i would assume that there would be another Force of pin which i would name Fp' acting on the second bar... would the reaction force Fp be acting on the bar too? or would it be canceled by the pin itself?? i am a little consufed.
http://puu.sh/cnXAf/ecb8aba5c6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello wise one,
I agree with the last line on the first solution picture. On the second you then follow that with something completely different ?!

Last line on the first solution picture:
You have N = mg and T rolls out as mgx'/0.8 without further ado.

Not that it matters, but in the figure I would expect Fp to be in the x direction; what do you think ?

Forget about Fp, you don't need it, you don't need to consider what is happening at point A at all.

Look at the entire structure to get the normal reaction forces at points B and C.

Then take moments about point A for bar AB (or AC), there are three terms:
clockwise moment due to normal force - known
Anti clockwise moment due to self weight - known
And Anti clockwise moment due to tension in EF - unknown.

It's important to recognise the most convenient point to take moments about to reduce your work.

Last edited:
Both of you are completely correct, thanks for pointing out the mistake. I really didn't need the force of pin. As for the direction of force of the pin, i honestly wouldn't know which way is the right direction, in my book "nelson, Physics for scientists and engineers" it said the direction of the unknown force didn't matter and i just thought it would be convenient to pick that direction.

in the figure I would expect Fp to be in the x direction; what do you think ?
The obvious answer I was fishing for is that Fp is horizontal follows from the force balance.
Usually B and C are anchored to the side walls and EF serves to reduce the sideways push

Greg Bernhardt: It's funny how so many posts crossed: I completely missed 2 and 3 and it took me a long time to realize #5 wasn't aware of #4.

Last edited:

Related to How to calculate the tension needed for a crosspiece in an A-frame structure?

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is the product of the force applied to the object and the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance between the point of application and the axis of rotation. The formula for torque is: torque = force x distance.

3. What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the net force and net torque on the object are both equal to zero.

4. How is static equilibrium achieved?

Static equilibrium can be achieved by applying multiple forces to an object in a way that the net force and net torque are both equal to zero. This can be achieved by adjusting the direction and magnitude of the forces until they are balanced.

5. What is the significance of static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of objects at rest, such as buildings or bridges, and ensure their stability and safety. It is also crucial in understanding the motion and balance of living organisms, from humans to animals.