How to calculate the tension in a beam of a bridge?

In summary: Let's start with the torque from the left hand supporting point. Is it clockwise or counter-clockwise?The left hand supporting point applies a torque in the counter-clockwise direction.
Wimpalot

Homework Statement

A bridge, constructed of 11 beams of equal length L and negligible mass, supports an object of mass M as shown in the picture.
Assuming that the bridge segments are free to pivot at each intersection point, what is the tension T in the horizontal segment directly above the point where the object is attached (see image)? If you find that the horizontal segment directly above the point where the object is attached is being stretched, indicate this with a positive value for T. If the segment is being compressed, indicate this with a negative value for T.

Homework Equations

tnet = 0 at all points
t = Fr

The Attempt at a Solution

So I worked out that:
FP = 2/3 Mg
FQ=1/3 Mg

But after that I have no idea what to do. I am completely lost. I was told to try considering the torques on single points but I don't understand how to do that in this case.

Attachments

• phys2.PNG
    phys2.PNG
    4 KB · Views: 835
Physics news on Phys.org
The trick in many problems involving torques and rotations is to start by choosing an appropriate axis.

Likes Nidum
jbriggs444 said:
The trick in many problems involving torques and rotations is to start by choosing an appropriate axis.
So not just the usual x-y?

Wimpalot said:
So not just the usual x-y?
Not the direction of the coordinate axes. The origin of the coordinate system -- the axis of rotation about which you compute torques.

Hint : Look for two self stable substructures .

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
Not the direction of the coordinate axes. The origin of the coordinate system -- the axis of rotation about which you compute torques.
Okay then in that case I am not entirely sure. The point next to the beam?

Nidum said:
Hint : Look for two self stable substructures .
Sorry, not sure what you mean/what to do with that information

Wimpalot said:
Okay then in that case I am not entirely sure. The point next to the beam?
There are a lot of beams in that truss. Which one did you have in mind?

jbriggs444 said:
There are a lot of beams in that truss. Which one did you have in mind?

The one I am trying to calculate the tension of. The point on the left?

If you write an equation for the torques about that point, you will have contributions from the supporting force from the left pier, the supporting force from the right pier and the downward force from mass M. The tension force T has a line of action that passes through your chosen axis. So it drops out of the equation.

This particular choice of axis does not let you write down a simple equation involving T. It is a poor choice.

Nidum's hint is equally (or perhaps more) important. You want to be computing torques applied to some particular sub-structure. If you think about dividing the truss up into two relevant parts, where might you put the dividing line?

jbriggs444 said:
If you write an equation for the torques about that point, you will have contributions from the supporting force from the left pier, the supporting force from the right pier and the downward force from mass M. The tension force T has a line of action that passes through your chosen axis. So it drops out of the equation.

This particular choice of axis does not let you write down a simple equation involving T. It is a poor choice.

Nidum's hint is equally (or perhaps more) important. You want to be computing torques applied to some particular sub-structure. If you think about dividing the truss up into two relevant parts, where might you put the dividing line?

I'm not sure then. I have no idea how to do this question. Maybe the left-most triangle?

OK.
Wimpalot said:
Maybe the left-most triangle?
OK. Let's say you use the left-most triangle. Now pick an axis of rotation.

The point that the mass hangs from?

Wimpalot said:
The point that the mass hangs from?
OK. Now what external torques act on that triangle?

jbriggs444 said:
OK. Now what external torques act on that triangle?

The reaction force FP and maybe the tension force in the beam T?

Wimpalot said:
The reaction force FP and maybe the tension force in the beam T?
Those are the two of the external forces, yes. To get external torques you would have to multiply by the length of their moment arms, right?

Can you tell us why you ignored the external force from the dangling mass M?

jbriggs444 said:
Those are the two of the external forces, yes. To get external torques you would have to multiply by the length of their moment arms, right?

Can you tell us why you ignored the external force from the dangling mass M?

And are both moment arms just L? And what about the directions?

Because that way the torque due to the mass is 0

Wimpalot said:
And are both moment arms just L? And what about the directions?
Let's start with the torque from the left hand supporting point. Is it clockwise or counter-clockwise? If the left hand supporting force is ##F_P## and the length of the beams is ##L##, what is the torque from that left hand supporting force?

Proceed to the torque from the [tension? compression?] T in the horizontal beam. Must it be clockwise or counter-clockwise? Does that mean that it is tension? Or compression? How large is the torque? Be careful. It's not all right angles for this one.
Because that way the torque due to the mass is 0
Good. That is why choosing that point for the axis of rotation was wise. Neither the weight of the dangling mass M nor any forces from the beams to the right contribute to the torque around that axis.

Clockwise so negative and thus equal to FP*L
Is it equal to the tension and L*sin(60)? I am not sure. It would have to be tension right to counteract the other torque?

Wimpalot said:
Clockwise so negative and thus equal to FP*L
Yes, the torque from the left hand pier is clockwise and its magnitude is FP*L. Yes, if you adopt the convention that clockwise is negative, that means that it is negative.
Is it equal to the tension and L*sin(60)?
You do not sound very sure. But yes, the moment arm is given by L*sin(60).

It would have to be tension right to counteract the other torque?
Let's go slowly. We can do this with mathematics (positives and negatives). Or we can do it with physical intuition (balancing clockwise and counter-clockwise torques).

Let's try the mathematical way. The triangle is both massless and is continuously at rest. The sum of the torques on it must be equal to _____?

Zero

Wimpalot said:
Zero
So does that give you an equation to solve?

jbriggs444 said:
So does that give you an equation to solve?

0 = -FP*L + T*L*sin(60)
Which implies:

T = FP*L/(L*sin(60))

Wimpalot said:
0 = -FP*L + T*L*sin(60)
Which implies:

T = FP*L/(L*sin(60))
So the torque due to T is positive or negative?
And the force due to T must therefore be in which direction?

jbriggs444 said:
So the torque due to T is positive or negative?
And the force due to T must therefore be in which direction?
Negative? Which implies compression.

Wimpalot said:
Negative? Which implies compression.
What's negative?
Unless you identify what you are talking about and what sign convention you are using, "positive" and "negative" are just meaningless noises.

jbriggs444 said:
What's negative?
Unless you identify what you are talking about and what sign convention you are using, "positive" and "negative" are just meaningless noises.

Sorry the torque due to T is negative.
I broke the space key on my keyboard so I am being a bit lazy with words.

Wimpalot said:
Sorry the torque due to T is negative.
I broke the space key on my keyboard so I am being a bit lazy with words.
So you add a negative to a negative and get zero?

[Back in #18, you said that the torque due to FP was negative. Now you say that the torque due to T is also negative]

jbriggs444 said:
So you add a negative to a negative and get zero?

[Back in #18, you said that the torque due to FP was negative. Now you say that the torque due to T is also negative]
Sorry I got mixed up the torque due to the tension should be positive.

Wimpalot said:
Sorry I got mixed up the torque due to the tension should be positive.
Ok. And since your convention is that positive is counter-clockwise, we are talking about compression. If T is the "tension" in that beam then T must be negative.

So, can you now solve for T?

Last edited:
Likes Wimpalot
jbriggs444 said:
Ok. And since your convention is that positive is counter-clockwise, we are talking about compression. If T is the "tension" in that beam than T must be negative.

So, can you now solve for T?
Yeah just T = -FP*L/(L*sin(60)) which is correct according the site.

Thank you very much for all the help I really feel like I understand this now and can apply it all in the future so thank you very much.

Likes jbriggs444

1. How do I calculate the tension in a beam of a bridge?

To calculate the tension in a beam of a bridge, you will need to know the weight of the load being supported, the length of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. You will also need to use the equations for calculating tension, such as the formula T = F * L, where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and L is the length of the beam.

2. What factors affect the tension in a beam of a bridge?

The tension in a beam of a bridge is affected by several factors, including the weight of the load, the length of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. Other factors that can affect tension include the angle and direction of the applied force, as well as any external forces acting on the beam.

3. Can I use the same formula to calculate the tension for different types of beams?

The formula for calculating tension, T = F * L, can be used for most types of beams. However, the material properties of the beam, such as its elasticity and strength, may vary and affect the accuracy of the calculation. It is important to use the appropriate formula for the specific type of beam being analyzed.

4. How does the tension in a beam affect the overall stability of a bridge?

The tension in a beam is a crucial factor in determining the stability of a bridge. If the tension is too high, it can cause the beam to deform or even break, leading to potential collapse of the bridge. On the other hand, if the tension is too low, the beam may not be able to support the load, also resulting in instability. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor the tension in all beams of a bridge to ensure its overall stability.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when calculating the tension in a beam of a bridge?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that should be taken when calculating the tension in a beam of a bridge. These include using accurate and up-to-date data for the weight of the load and material properties of the beam, double-checking all calculations, and consulting with a structural engineer if necessary. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the bridge to ensure its structural integrity and safety.