How to calculate the weight of a gear?

• Thread starter Ballena Joseph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Weight
In summary: You can use solid work to get the weight of an object, but you will need to use a CAD program to do so.
Ballena Joseph
I don't know if I have to include the weight of a gear in order to proceed on computing the forces acting on the plane of line shaft. If I have to determine it, how do I calculate the weight of the gear (spur gear)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ballena Joseph said:
I don't know if I have to include the weight of a gear in order to proceed on computing the forces acting on the plane of line shaft.

That depends on how accurate you need to be. We can't answer that question without a lot more specific detail.

Ballena Joseph said:
If I have to determine it, how do I calculate the weight of the gear (spur gear)?

How would you determine the weight of any object of any shape?

Perhaps approximate the gear to a cylinder. Calculate the volume, look up the density of the material it's made from. Bash the numbers into the calculator.

Likes Ballena Joseph
If the gear is available, you can simply weigh it on a scale.

If you only have a drawing, you can treat it as a body of revolution (neglecting the teeth) with an outside radius about equal to the pitch radius. This will result in a calculated value that is quite close.

Likes russ_watters and Ballena Joseph
CWatters said:
Perhaps approximate the gear to a cylinder. Calculate the volume, look up the density of the material it's made from. Bash the numbers into the calculator.
I already looked up for the density of material for gear. But how can I calculate the volume? What is the formula?

Google volume of a cylinder.

Much depends upon how closely you want to approximate the volume and hence the mass. If a simple cylinder approximation is sufficient for your purposes, then that will be easy based on what you find on Google.

If the cross section is complicated, you may need to do a volume integration. If you can't do that in closed form, it is always possible to do a numerical integration. This will put to use what you learned in Integral Calculus.

Likes Ballena Joseph
Dr.D said:
Much depends upon how closely you want to approximate the volume and hence the mass. If a simple cylinder approximation is sufficient for your purposes, then that will be easy based on what you find on Google.

If the cross section is complicated, you may need to do a volume integration. If you can't do that in closed form, it is always possible to do a numerical integration. This will put to use what you learned in Integral Calculus.
I found a formula for the volume of gear, that is (πD/4)*b(face width) which is similar to the formula for volume of cylinder.

Ballena Joseph said:
I found a formula for the volume of gear, that is (πD/4)*b(face width) which is similar to the formula for volume of cylinder.

That expression is exact, with two provisions:
1) provided the gear body is a flat disk (no raised hub or rim);
2) provided you know what diameter to use.
Somewhere near the pitch diameter is the correct value for the diameter, but that is not exactly correct. I know of no way to specify exactly what the correct diameter is.

Likes Ballena Joseph
The formula you quoted will not do well at all for a gear of the sort shown in the attached figure.
GearWheel.JPG

Attachments

• GearWheel.JPG
    GearWheel.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 3,239
Dr.D said:
The formula you quoted will not do well at all for a gear of the sort shown in the attached figure.View attachment 221557
I have no choice but to assume that the gear is flat and there is no hub or rim.

anorlunda said:
That depends on how accurate you need to be. We can't answer that question without a lot more specific detail.
How would you determine the weight of any object of any shape?
use solid work to get any weight

Um, unless your CAD app can simply cough up the volume, why not model the gear by parts, adding and subtracting solid-geometry primitives ? And, to a first approximation, model the teeth as a disk of 'datum circle' diameter ??
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear

1. How do I calculate the weight of a gear using its dimensions?

The weight of a gear can be calculated by first finding the volume of the gear using its dimensions (diameter and thickness) and then multiplying the volume by the density of the material. The formula for volume of a gear is V = π * (d/2)^2 * t, where d is the diameter and t is the thickness. The density of the material can be found online or in reference books.

2. Can I use the weight of a similar gear to estimate the weight of a different gear?

In most cases, you can use the weight of a similar gear to estimate the weight of a different gear, as long as they have the same dimensions and are made of the same material. Keep in mind that small variations in dimensions or material composition can affect the weight, so it may not be an exact estimate.

3. How does the type of material affect the weight of a gear?

The type of material used to make a gear can greatly affect its weight. For example, a gear made of steel will be heavier than a gear made of aluminum, even if they have the same dimensions. This is because steel is denser than aluminum.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement used for the weight of gears?

The weight of gears is typically measured in either kilograms (kg) or pounds (lbs). Some industries may also use other units such as grams (g) or ounces (oz).

5. Can I use a scale to measure the weight of a gear?

Yes, you can use a scale to measure the weight of a gear. However, keep in mind that the scale will only measure the weight of the gear as a whole and will not be able to determine the weight of individual components or parts of the gear.