How to calculate time constant in RC circuit

In summary, the student attempted to solve the problem without using Laplace transforms, and found that the capacitor current is 2.5 V and the equivalent resistance is 5 kohm.
Bromio
Hello.

Homework Statement

Calculate the time response, Vc(t), of the circuit shown in the attached image. Not use Laplace transforms.

Homework Equations

I know that tau = RC in a typical RC circuit.

In general, Vc(t) = {V0 - Vf}*exp(-t/tau) + Vf, where V0 is initial voltage and Vf is final voltage.

The Attempt at a Solution

Once charged, the capacitor behaves like a short-circuit, so I can calculate that Vf = 2,5 V. In addition, V0 = 0 V. So, I only need to know the value of tau. How could I calculate it without using Laplace transforms?

Thank you.

Attachments

• RC.png
    RC.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 849
Physics news on Phys.org
Once charged, the capacitor behaves like a short-circuit
Actually, when a capacitor is charged, no more current flows through it so it acts like an open circuit.

How could I calculate [tau] without using Laplace transforms?
General procedure: remove sources from the circuit by shorting any voltage sources and opening any current sources. Then find Req as it would appear across the capacitor terminal (tau = CReq).

Do you know about Thevenin equivalent circuits? Lewando's suggestion follows from finding the Thevenin equivalent of what's connected to the capacitor.

Assume currents i1, i2, etc., in the various branches, and determine the node voltages. The voltage across the capacitor is 1/C*(integral of i).dt
You should find capacitor current i = Re.Vs

The voltage as a function of time is obtained by solving the first order differential equation. The time constant of the exponential in the time response is Re*C

* I used Re to represent the term by which you divide Vs. The term has units of resistance and it appears in the calculations when you are determining capacitor current.

Thank you.

I've just solved the problem: Vc(t) = 2.5(1-exp(-200t))u(t).

Isn't the equivalent resistance is 5kohm?

wstclyq said:
Isn't the equivalent resistance is 5kohm?

Can you show your calculation?

Related to How to calculate time constant in RC circuit

1. How do I calculate the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant in an RC circuit is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and capacitance (C) values. It can be calculated using the formula RC, where R is measured in ohms and C is measured in farads.

2. What is the significance of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant represents the time it takes for the capacitor in an RC circuit to charge to approximately 63.2% of its maximum charge, or to discharge to 36.8% of its initial charge. It is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges in the circuit.

3. Can the time constant be calculated for any type of RC circuit?

Yes, the time constant can be calculated for any type of RC circuit, as long as it consists of a resistor and a capacitor connected in series or parallel. This includes simple RC circuits as well as more complex circuits with multiple resistors and capacitors.

4. How does the value of the time constant affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

The time constant determines the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges in an RC circuit. A larger time constant will result in a slower charging or discharging process, while a smaller time constant will result in a faster process. This can affect the overall behavior of the circuit and the timing of events.

5. Can the time constant be changed in an RC circuit?

Yes, the time constant can be changed by altering the values of the resistor or capacitor in the circuit. Increasing the resistance or capacitance will result in a larger time constant, while decreasing them will result in a smaller time constant. This can be useful for adjusting the behavior of the circuit to meet specific needs.